Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Riding my, new to me, bike

BSeevers

Ok I used to ride in my high school/college days fairly seriously on those 100 mile rides and what not. Never had a great bike but trained like a manic. Probably last rode in say late 80's or so.

Fast forward to 2008 and I buy this Very lightly used Felt at a greater than $1K discount in Feb. Its amazing. Most of its features were only for true Pros and the very rich when I rode.

Haven't rode it until today since OH has pretty much been 42 degrees and raining since say Nov.

Man was that fun. There is something about being on a bicycle and just riding. Its kind of like a getting in the zone thing but more relaxing. Definitely a Free Feeling. I saw lots of animals, sights and other riders and really had a great time. I recommend it. Funny thing in my day nobody wore a helmet and I still don't. Was getting paranoid til finally saw a couple riding without the "holy" helmet. Not really into the whole garb thing. Probably why I don't shoot Cowboy either. But I did get a pair of cleats and after almost cracking my knees once after falling while learning how to use them, I like them a lot. We had toe-clips in those days. Its good for your heart too.

I was mostly on bike paths but they seem to cross very busy roads and the urban jungle can be a little attention demanding sometimes. Great thing about a bike is you can just take a different road on a whim.

I rode for 2 hours straight. Actually would have went longer but exercised some good judgement and turned around. I know I'll probably feel it in the legs tomorrow and I feel it in my bottom right now.

I can't wait to ride again.

Good for you! I got back in riding two years ago after moving to NM. When I lived in MD there just wan't anywhere close to ride that wasn't a death wish situation. Picked up a new Orbea Orca and it blows my mind how good it is. One thing:

You forgot to post pictures!!!!! :D

I knew you open guys were roadies at heart!

Nice bike and glad to have another into the fold. Road bikes are really good for cardio and for real cardio you don't have to be at an exceptionally high HR, just spinning steady...but then there are the anaerobic days...hills hills hills

I really only ride the road for training but it is nice when you get out in the back country among the farms...

As for the garb...I hate the chamois shorts like everyone else but they aren't for looks but for protecting your junk...and to me that is most important. That said I have a buddy who will ONLY wear jeans even on the longest, hottest, swampyiest days...did I mention the lycra/spandex/etc helps keep you dry? at least dryer than denim.

Helmets...your choice but we won't ride with anyone in the back country without them. for one thing hauling them out with a cracked noggin would ruin my day...

Now go take pics of her or the thread ain't worth spit B)

As far as my free time goes in the warmer months, I spend more time biking than anything. During my peak last summer, I was up to 150 mi/wk (which isn't great by many standards, but by my own it was pretty damn good) of moderate to high intensity rides. Every week, my LBS hosted a 27 mile ally ride that was more like an urban assault course than any ride you might hear of. My Surly Cross-Check (steel is real ;) ) holds up under my bulk and that pot-hole infested ride just fine.

I do wear lycra shorts, but (for now, see me in another 50 lbs and if I'm racing) only under a pair of cargo shorts. Pearl Izumi is good stuff.

It's a free country and all, but seriously - get a brain bucket. No, it won't help you if an Olds '88 decides not to see you one day. But, if you're riding clipless and you get hung up at a stop and can't click out, a helmet will at least save you from a bad headache or maybe worse. I know mine has.

Nice! I ride a Trek 1500. Nothing real fancy, just aluminum frame w/ carbon forks. I have a nice 35 mile loop I try to ride at least once a week in the summer with shorter trips (time depending) thrown in here and there. Oh and I've gone down stopped. Somehow I leaned too far over center and went down toward the foot that was still clipped in. Helmets are good things!

About the only thing that sounds as good as clipping in is racking the slide on the Open blaster! :cheers:

Hey, I'm an Open guy and a road guy, but I've also got an '07 Specialized Epic Expert with a wheel upgrade too (in badass gunmetal grey to boot!)....it's like a rule to have at least one decent mountain bike here!

Hey, I'm an Open guy and a road guy, but I've also got an '07 Specialized Epic Expert with a wheel upgrade too (in badass gunmetal grey to boot!)....it's like a rule to have at least one decent mountain bike here!

Nice bike too...the Epic... My dually is a Kona...

The one in my avatar is my 93 Fat Chance Ti (Holy Grail bike)...my road bike is a Chris Chance Chromoly...Chris Chance is like a Benny Hill build ...oh and I have a Chromoly Fat Chance too...steel IS real.

Yet another addiction...

Nice bike too...the Epic... My dually is a Kona...

The one in my avatar is my 93 Fat Chance Ti (Holy Grail bike)...my road bike is a Chris Chance Chromoly...Chris Chance is like a Benny Hill build ...oh and I have a Chromoly Fat Chance too...steel IS real.

Yet another addiction...

LOL....nice collection! We're probably two of the few here who've spent as much on a bike as on a gun!

When i lived in Utah i used to ride to work (35 mi), i would have to leave at 4:30 am to get there on time. I loved riding at night with my night rider head light. no traffic, no bugs, no peds getting in my way and much less heat in summer. I rode 250 mi a week until Jan if it stayed above 40. less than that and i couldn't keep my toes warm, even with booties. I have an early 90's specialized epic that has first generation STI shifters and i still ride that thing. Not as much because now i live near Santa and it is always cold or humid. But it sure clears the mind.

Ok took a pic after riding yesterday. You see that I couldn't help but put her sister in the pic. I did NOT pick the bike for the colors. B)

I want a mountain bike now.

post-307-1210520171.jpg

New to me bicycle: Specialized Crossroads and my new helmet. I have ridden it only about 100 miles but it is nearly as nice as my stolen :angry2: Fiorelli.

Got it from the local bicycle shop (Speed's) out of their rental fleet for less than $200 cleaned, tuned, and serviced. I had forgotten how nice a bike ride by oneself can be! Soon as I recover from this nerve impingement at C7 I am planning of riding an hour every evening.

post-2869-1210521343.jpg

Ok took a pic after riding yesterday. You see that I couldn't help but put her sister in the pic. I did NOT pick the bike for the colors. B)

I want a mountain bike now.

I like how the open blaster matches the accents on the bike...very nice. I guess I've got to get some pics up now.

LOL....nice collection! We're probably two of the few here who've spent as much on a bike as on a gun!

I've spent more on bike than my limited gun from Millenium. All these bike threads have given me the itch to get my Santa Cruz Heckler back on the trails.

I've spent more on bike than my limited gun from Millenium. All these bike threads have given me the itch to get my Santa Cruz Heckler back on the trails.

I really dig some of the Santa Cruz frames...very cool and I like all the options they give on finish and colors. I thought about having one built up, but not being able to test ride one kept me from looking into it further. Post pics in the gallery thread!

I really dig some of the Santa Cruz frames...very cool and I like all the options they give on finish and colors. I thought about having one built up, but not being able to test ride one kept me from looking into it further. Post pics in the gallery thread!

I need to dig it out of the back of the garage to get some pics. It's a '97 with all sorts of upgraded bits, but imagine a metallic green front, polished rear, with a red stem, red Chris King headset and hubs on custom built wheels with red spoke nipples. I call her "The Spirit of Christmas". xmaswiggle.gif I've considered selling her over the years but I wouldn't get close to the amount I've put it.

• 1 month later...

Bill I hope you're still riding that pimp bike. I dusted mine off tonight & rode for a couple miles. I plan on going much further with it tomorrow. Supposed to be nice weather. 70 degrees by 9am. Might make for nice morning ride. :)

Bill I hope you're still riding that pimp bike. I dusted mine off tonight & rode for a couple miles. I plan on going much further with it tomorrow. Supposed to be nice weather. 70 degrees by 9am. Might make for nice morning ride. :)

I ride every chance I get.