Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bead Blasting Cabinets

I've been pricing bead blasting cabinets. Holy $hit they are expensive. Do any of you guys have an economical source? I suppose I'll need an air compressor, shop vac, nozzles, hoses, etc, etc.

Thanks for you help.

You get what you pay for.

Harbor Freight or Northern Hydraulics has some very inexpensive units that work, and they do work, but that is all I will give them. To run a cabinet right you need a LOT of air, more so with the cheap cabinets but they all take a boat load of air.

Ask yourself a couple questions. Am I going to use it much? Do I really have to have the capability of sustained use?

If you answer no and no, then get a 5-8 hp compressor and a cheap cabinet. It won't work nearly as well as a spendy outfit, but it WILL work even if you have to wait for the compressor to catch up all the time. If either answer is yes spend some money and get a 12-20hp compressor and a nice cabinet. $400 vs $1500+, and that really is the difference.

And if you plan on using the blast cabinet a lot you will also need a back up compressor for when the primary goes down when you really need it. The average shop vac won't last, go with a purpose built cabinet vac.

Rich

The Harbour Freight et al are fine. The only advice is to use structural caulking on the joints to help seal the cabinet.

The other is to spend about $100 for a Shop Vac (not some cheapie) and install a Drywall filter. This will keep the finer dust from getting into the motor and cacking it.

As prevoiusly stated, they need copeous quantities of air to operate efficiently.

Hello: I have had large cabinets with all the bells. They are the best. You have to ask yourself how often will you use it? Be honest. If you are only going to use it 10 times a year I would get a bench top model. You can use them without a vaccuum but need a compressor with a large tank. You will need a water seperator and regulator for sure. I use a bench top model now and use it outside. When I'm done with it I store it inside out of the way. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I have a bench top blast cabinet, used it a lot when I was racing motorcycles and rebuilding motors and such. I use it very little now, but a very handy device. My air compressor died and instead of rebuilding I junked the 25 year old compressor, big mistake, damn they have gotten expensive. Good/big compressors are expensive and can make a lot of noise. The best cabinet money can buy is no good without sufficient air supply.

The compressor you need is likely 220 volt, cast iron, multi-cylinder and will require oil. They play games with the HP ratings on compressors and so it is probably best to select your compressor by CFM requirements.

You might want to check on Craigslist. I have seen a few cabinets and lots of compressors.