Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wednesday Night on the Range

Coach

It is a great night of tv top to bottom, but which show reigns supreme? Comments are welcome but lets be positive, and any short comings will become obvious because they are not discussed as being strengths.

Shooting USA is much more slick and polished but I think Jim plays it way too safe with his information and subject matter. Shooting Gallery brings more information and they are more likely to show things outside the mainline like Tactical Solutions. All listed above are good shows.

• 2 weeks later...

I especially liked the related episodes of Shooting USA and Sighting-In. The USPSA championship on Shooting USA followed by the Sighting-In episode that examined the specific guns used by the competitors was especially interesting.

The content does make a huge difference, but overall Shooting USA and Shooting Gallery are my favorites. I'd rather not watch episodes of shooting gallery that center on knife fighting. I like the format of Shooting gallery in that you get more time on a subject and it is not just a show of 2 minute snippets.

Guns and ammo TV is okay at times, but it is less than stellar at others.

• 3 weeks later...

Well heck, I'm almost scared to post anywhere! I think I've established a new world record for being thrown off forums. Sigh...

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words on SG. Just finished putting together the next season's line up...look for more 3-gun and carbine stuff.

Also refocused COWBOYS on guns and shooting and am launching 3rd series as well.

Michael B

PS: Knife show with Mike Janich pulled BIG numbers...go figure!

Nope...OC asked me to create "Discovery/ESPN" level shows, then gave me the budget to get a Discovery/ESPN level crew (a lot of money, BTW).

The guys I'm using now, Hatch TV (http://www.hatchtv.com/) did the Tour de France for VERSUS, the Eco-Challenge for Discovery, the "Monster Sharks" series for Spike, the Discovery broadcast from Everest Base Camp, etc. I love the look their videographers and editors bring to the show! It's amazing the difference an A-level videographer can bring to a show...

We still film HD on Panasonic Varicams, essentially big gun studio cams that we've pioneered using in the field (we've been written up in the pro video mags for our "ground-breaking" work). In the next year, we're going to move to a pure digital workflow...something we'll be beta-testing on DRTV first (probably at the USPSA National)...gonna be scary at first...digital files have a way of going bye-bye...we're looking at the Sony pro-sumer cameras that record to digital and tape as a transitional product.

Plus — and I'm really excited about this — there are finally some POV "lipstick" cams that are good enough for our HD workflow. We have one (and we used it extensively at the U.S. National SWAT Championships we filmed last week), and I have another one on order. You can even get them with a specially machined rail mount for guns!

Michael B

digital files have a way of going bye-bye...

That's what everyone told me when I switched to Digital Photography in early 2002. It doesn't have to be true --- with a well thought out work flow and some discipline, no matter how tight the deadline, you can virtually guarantee it won't happen......

I don't know about video specifics, but if you have workflow theory questions, feel free to ask.....

Nik...you're absolutely right...it's all workflow "contruction." Generally, digital video workflow involves either hard drives in the field or moving video from proprietary cards to portable hard drives. We can go straight from the hard drives (or cards) into the editing system. Then the raw video has to be transfered to an archiving medium we have to store. The big fear among videographers is a hard drive crash in the field...to me, that's much less of an issue because I'm a computer geeky guy and I understand "redundant." I think once Marshal Halloway and I hammer out an efficient workflow for the Internet, the broadcast guys will follow. Video news crews have been using a digital workflow for years. And when we come up with questions, I will ask....THANKS!

Okay...enough thread drift!

My Sweetie threatens to hit me every time I say "Flash video platform" or any combination thereof!

Michael B

Comcast in my area does not have OC but my daughter near Boston does.(Go figure) She tapes on Wednesday and sends the shows to me. Prior to Jim Scouten moving to OC, I liked his shows best when they were on another network as I had never heard of Shooting Gallery. Now that I get to see both, it is a tossup. I like the diversity of both shows but I really like the in depth shows that Mike Bane does. The other shows pale in comparison. I did enjoy Persoanl Defense TV ( Mas Ayoob has done work for our firm in a shooting case) and am looking forward to the new Mike Bane Show on Self Defense (Walt Rauch is a member of our club and we get his words of wisdom regularly). I'm sure it will be a good one.

MICHAEL P. GOTTLIEB, ESQUIRE

I like Shooting USA and tend to watch it more than the others.

Obviously, I prefer the segments on competition shooting.

The segments I don't care for are the trick shot artists.

I'm sure it takes a lot of skill to perform these "circus stunts" with a gun or a bow, but I just don't relate to it.

Based on the previous posts, it sounds like I need to pay more attention to "Shooting Gallery".

Tony

Edited by 38superman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...