Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dovetailing The Frontsite

mellow

I've read through tons of glock/production threads. With production rules in mind, I've read that milling the rear of the slide and melting the rear sites (such as the work cgr and egw do with the bo-mars) is perfectly legal, including the refinishing required after the work. From what I understand, the sites just have to be the notch/post type. It doesn't matter how you get there.

It seems, because of the way glock front sites are installed, it's impossible to thin the frontsite like they do for 1911s with their dovetailed sites.

If it's legal to mill a glock slide to melt bomar rears, shouln't it be legal to dovetail the front of the slide to fit a .90 dawson/egw/brazos fiber optic STI/Para site?

Forgive me if this has been covered before. I have not yet seen it in the glock forum.

Here's the thread where I got some of this info from. Note the replies from "Chris" with info from "John Amidon"

http://64.62.172.100/~brianeno/index.php?a...=ST&f=22&t=3212

Legal to replace sites as long as it is square notch and post. It doesn't matter how you get there. The refinishing required after this process is also legal.

I realize the idea of production is to be able to compete with stock equipment. But I thought I'd address this issue since I've seen it come up numerous times.

Mellow-

I have been running a Dawson FO sight (.125) with a CGR rear Heinie, and I was looking for a way to get a slimmer (.090-.100) front sight. I remembered reading here (somewhere) that Dawson can thin down their sights. I e-mailed Dawson about their new adjustable sights and this is the response:

DearBill,

The standard width is 0.125". We can custom make for $20.00 more to 0.100" ( add about 10 days for custom ). Rear opening is 0.125". Thanks for the inquiry. Paul

Its just a cheaper option then dovetailing your slide. Hope that helps-

Bill

I run Bo-mar drop-ins on my production guns. When I wanted a skinnier front sight, I had a gunsmith mill the top half orf the Bo-mar front down to .090. When lined up on a G-34 all I see is the skinny part of the front --- which has the added benefit that if I can see the step in the front sight, I know that I'm aiming high. I don't know how that cut would line up on the slightly shorter G-17.

What other target-style skinny (under .125") front sights are available? (I want to keep the stock rear.) The fiber optics aren't legal for GSSF Stockmeister.

Erik,

Why not just buy the fiber sight and pop the rod out for GSSF?

I have religious objections to any sight comprised of more than a single part.

Well, you'd better get out your welder there pardner, because no aftermarket Glock front sight consists only of one part.

;)

What other target-style skinny (under .125") front sights are available? (I want to keep the stock rear.) The fiber optics aren't legal for GSSF Stockmeister.

None. We have some .118 right now but they are .275 tall and you would need to cut it down for use with a factory rear. As mentioned above we will be comming out with some .100 in black.

Erik,

What about a bomar front --- cut to the right height and milled down to .090 as far as the sight will allow ---- in essence creating a stepped front sight? So far I haven't broken the Bo-mars on the G34 (20K of 145 PF 115gr. and about 6K 133 PF 147 gr.) or on the G21 (5K of 175 PF 230 gr. 45ACP) but of course I'm not the "Destroyer of Sights" either.....

Can the slides be dovetailed to take a STI/SV pattern front sight? I'd really like a front site down to about .080, and I've heard this is not possible, as you will get into the threads in the sight. I have a heine front and rear sight on my G34 right now, and I will take them any day over the stock Glock sights.

Fiberoptic front sights ARE legal in Stockmeister and Am Civ in GSSF- provided you "disable" them w/ a black magic marker or sharpie prior to shooting. Take another look at the rulebook - it suggests this "fix". I have shot 2 GSSF matches in Stockmeister & Am Civ. w/ my fiberoptic "disabled" w/ the prior approval of the GSSF match director - I checked w/ them prior to shooting to avoid any hassles later. Only cover the rear face of the fiber w/ the sharpie - as long as it looks black when aimed at the target, then its OK. To re-enable the optic for USPSA, I used a few strokes of sandpaper but that method dulls the optic a bit. Might try alcohol if you go this route.

• 4 months later...
We will have some black and fiber optic fronts that are .100 wide out in the near future. No need to dovetail.

OK, it's the near future. I didn't see them on your web site tonight.

I have no problem with the reversed stock rear, but the filed-down/blacked out front sight is killing me. It's just too wide. I'm going to start shooting Production so I need to take care of it.