Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF-100 Tweak

I was having problems with my new RF-100. WSPM primers would get stuck under the stabilizer plate in the last inch before dropping into the tube. It appeared that the anvils were sticking against the small bump on the bottom of the "A" stabilizer plate. I carefully removed that bump, but that only led to flipped primers (I'd get 2-3 upside-down per 100).

I called Dillon and told them what happened. They sent me a new plate. I put it in and it did the same sticking thing. Knowing that not having the bump at all was causing flipped primers and having the bump was catching the primers, I decided to try a "mid-range fix".

I took a target paster and stuck it to the bottom of the stabilizer plate, just enough to lift the plate approximately .010 inch. I cut out a hole in the paster for the screw, trimmed off the excess, and re-attached it. The thickness of the paster was enough to lift the stabilizer and allow the anvils to clear.

The machine will now perfectly load a 100 primer tube in 35-40 seconds, consistently.

I thought about switching to the "B" stabilizer. That may work, but what I made by grinding off the bump was essentially a "B" stabilizer, so I don't know if I would have still had the flipping problem.

I was having problems with my new RF-100. WSPM primers would get stuck under the stabilizer plate in the last inch before dropping into the tube. It appeared that the anvils were sticking against the small bump on the bottom of the "A" stabilizer plate. I carefully removed that bump, but that only led to flipped primers (I'd get 2-3 upside-down per 100).

I called Dillon and told them what happened. They sent me a new plate. I put it in and it did the same sticking thing. Knowing that not having the bump at all was causing flipped primers and having the bump was catching the primers, I decided to try a "mid-range fix".

I took a target paster and stuck it to the bottom of the stabilizer plate, just enough to lift the plate approximately .010 inch. I cut out a hole in the paster for the screw, trimmed off the excess, and re-attached it. The thickness of the paster was enough to lift the stabilizer and allow the anvils to clear.

The machine will now perfectly load a 100 primer tube in 35-40 seconds, consistently.

I thought about switching to the "B" stabilizer. That may work, but what I made by grinding off the bump was essentially a "B" stabilizer, so I don't know if I would have still had the flipping problem.

I did the same thing a few months ago, and since then, the machine has been flawless. Mine is set up for large primers.

Does anyone use this machine for small primers?

Yes, I only use it for small primers, Winchester and Fiocchi primers, no problems at all. I used it al ready for 4 years now.

The RF-100 must be level for proper operation. after discovering that

my loading bench was not level, (and floor not level :wacko: )

I made a modification to the RL-100 by removing the rubber feet

and replacing them with threaded feet, stop nuts washers and wing nuts

and adding a bullseye level to the base on the L/H side.

I am now able to verify level and adjust as needed

Kansaspiper

Mulvane, Ks

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased one of these machines used. I did samples for both small and large Mag primers (less than 50 each) and it seemed to send the primers in the corrected position every time. Obviously I've been watching it. But I bought this machine to load primers while I'm off doing more reloading. My question is "THOSE that HAVE had THIS MACHINE for some time", how reliable is it in sorting and stacking the primers correctly ?

I am using the RF-100 already for a couple of years, one for the small and one for the large primers. I never had a problem with them. I mounted both units on a allumilium plate, so they are level.

I am using the RF-100 already for a couple of years, one for the small and one for the large primers. I never had a problem with them. I mounted both units on a allumilium plate, so they are level.

Thx for the response Proteus - I'm looking forward to start using it.