Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Lube Observation

JThompson

I've been using "One Shot" since I ran out of the Dillon that came with my press. I ran out and found some "Lyman" locally. I must say press has never cycled easier then with this lube. The first few cases that hit the resize, I pulled out to see if there were cracks... that's how easy it was cycling. Dillon isn't bad, but it can get a little gunky with buildup. One shot is great because there is little if any buildup, but it doesn't cycle as easy. The Lyman seems to have the best of both products... Lyman will be my preferred lube from here on out.

Have you tried it? What do you think? If you haven't tried it do so and get back with me please.

JT

Straight lanolin or mink oil, way better than any commercial product. I am lazy though, I use One Shot aerosol so I can turn the case feeder on and spray some in it and get most of the cases. Works good enough.

And where exactly does one get straight lanolin oil or mink oil?

Gotta link?

Phone number?

Local apothecary?

Most drug stores carry it. Ask at the counter and make sure it's pure, unscented lanolin.

Put a couple hundred cases in a box, put a tiny dab of the lanolin on one hand (like half the size of a pencil eraser) and work it around your hands....body heat softens it. After you've got it worked onto your hands, run them through the cases....just sorta swish them around and pick up handfuls of cases...no need to touch every case.

You won't have to tumble your finished ammo and they'll work great in the press. It takes a little trial and error to figure out the right amount to put on your hand (it's less than you think). If you put a little too much on the first time you might have to lightly wipe off the cases, but you probably won't do that twice.

A tube costs about $8 and will last you for many, many thousands of rounds. R,

Now, are most people using that lanolin and/or mink oil just so their presses are easier to operate?

Or are they actually using for bottlenecked rifle classes as a case lube to, for when ya have to resize the bottlenecked stuff?

I have heard and seen people sprinkling white teflon powder in their case feeders to make the press smoother to operate.

Now, are most people using that lanolin and/or mink oil just so their presses are easier to operate?

Or are they actually using for bottlenecked rifle classes as a case lube to, for when ya have to resize the bottlenecked stuff?

I have heard and seen people sprinkling white teflon powder in their case feeders to make the press smoother to operate.

Both. I use it on pistol cases to make the press run easier. I've also recently found that i Like it better for bottleneck rifle cases than most everything else....but that's not loading on a progressive press. It might not be the greatest for high volume rifle cases as you probably wouldn't get enough on each case if you just ran your hands through the cases like with pistol cases.

So you dont have to tumble finished loaded rounds when done after using lanolin oil? How about tumbling finished/loaded rounds w/ the Lyman lube? Anybody know? I will stick w/ whatever doesnt make me tumble the rounds, but also makes the press run easiest.

What about the Teflon powder, where do you get it and how much of a difference does it make on operating the press?

Thanks

So you dont have to tumble finished loaded rounds when done after using lanolin oil? How about tumbling finished/loaded rounds w/ the Lyman lube? Anybody know? I will stick w/ whatever doesnt make me tumble the rounds, but also makes the press run easiest.

What about the Teflon powder, where do you get it and how much of a difference does it make on operating the press?

Thanks

No need to tumble after using lanolin, as long as you don't use too much. If you do, a quick wipe with a rag is all it takes. Not sure about the others. R,

I have use the one shot since starting to reload. I can say the only time you would need to tumble the one shot is if you either put too much on and forgot about spraying some. I was doing some 45lc and was just putting them in the case feeder when something came up and I had to leave now. I cam back an hour latter and they looked like they had patienaed, but it was just the lube. The other downside when this happened is they were harder to cycle through the press, so back to the cleaner they went.

O and the stuff does work great for reducing the effort to run cases through the press.

Edited by cooter79

Cooter,

Ive been using One Shot for 10 years, pretty familiar with that one. Just didnt know about the lanolin or lyman lube and if it makes the press run easier, I wanted to make sure you dont have to tumble loaded rounds. Otherwise, Ill stick with One Shot. Looking for something that will make the press run easier, but wont make me tumble loaded rounds.

Cooter,

Ive been using One Shot for 10 years, pretty familiar with that one. Just didnt know about the lanolin or lyman lube and if it makes the press run easier, I wanted to make sure you dont have to tumble loaded rounds. Otherwise, Ill stick with One Shot. Looking for something that will make the press run easier, but wont make me tumble loaded rounds.

+1

I have been finding it harder and harder to find One shot locally and the prices are pretty high. An inexpensive alternative (that does not require tumbling) would certainly be welcome.

Leo,

I might try some lanolin for 100 rounds and see how it is and Ill let you know. I might also get w/ Bobby and see if he has Lyman and ask him if I need to tumble loaded rounds w/ Lyman or not. The only problem is I dont have 2 hours to spare at his shop just for that! Ill let you know what I find.

Leo,

I might try some lanolin for 100 rounds and see how it is and Ill let you know. I might also get w/ Bobby and see if he has Lyman and ask him if I need to tumble loaded rounds w/ Lyman or not. The only problem is I dont have 2 hours to spare at his shop just for that! Ill let you know what I find.

Get someone to give you an emergency call after about 10 minutes or start coughing like you have a flu virus. Those are the only proven methods of escaping.