Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Milling Fixture

CSEMARTIN

Not to knock it but if you have a mill you have the means to make your own, if you don't have a mill the fixture isn't of much value.

I'm using a mill at a community college, and I barely have time to do the slide cuts. It's an hour drive there, 30-60 minute setup, 3 hours max on the mill followed by an hour long drive home. I'm lucky if I can get down there once a week.

I have no time to make my own fixtures right now. I'll have my own mill (tentatively) in late May or early June.

Personaly I don't see the need for it, but maybe I'm missing something here. Brownells and midway do seem to have a lot of niche fixtures I've never considered worth the price they charge when standard machinist vices and clamps work just as good.

Hello: It depends what you are doing on the slide. A plan good quality vice will do most of the stuff you would do to a slide. For tri topping the slide it works great and is faster than setting up the vice at an angle. If you are going to do more than 2 slides I would buy one. Thanks, Eric

... I'll have my own mill (tentatively) in late May or early June.

I've got an extra Bridgeport Series II (4hp) mill sitting in the garage. It's actually too tall to use (I can't even right the head) and I need the space. PM me if interested in it at a resonable price. Real metal mover, 5k lbs with an Accurite DRO.

Edited by Franksremote