Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fitting a new front sight to an STI

boo radley

Recently bought a Dawson front sight, and I'd like to replace the stock sight on my STI Eagle.

I've read Brazos' How-To and the instructions with the sight, and just have a couple q's.

1) Dawson instructions say to knock-out from R --> L and install from L to R assuming gun oriented in shooting position. True? Does it make a difference?

2) Can I just knock out the existing front sight? Or do I need to heat/freeze the slide first?

3) Do you actually fit and center the new sight completely, before drifting it back out, applying Loctite and reinstalling? It seems to me for the best fit, I'd just want to get it started, *then* apply the Loctite, and punch into place.

4) Any tricks to centering the sight where the old one was centered? I was thinking about putting a tiny scratch on the muzzle, or using masking tape on the slide and marking the center line....

Thx all

Well to change the front sight on a STI is an operation that may seems more harder than what in real is...

the best way it to buy a dedicate jam for this but i can undestand that just for change one its too much....

Anyway to answer to your question:

1- yes its right. And you must do it so due to how the slide is cutted.

2- No you can just knock out the original front sight just pay attencion if the front sight is hold by a pin. In that case you must knock out the pin before to work on the sight.

3 & 4- to center the new one you can sign the center the slide with a permanent pen or any sistem to sign on the slide the position of the original front sight is good for this. After you done it remove the original front sight, polish the cut area, check the base of the nex front sight to be sure that you dont need to file it, apply loctite, and then install the new one.

Hope it help..... good luck!

To center the front sight I take a sharp scribe and make a mark (scratch) on each side of the front sight base in the dovetail before removing it. Then drift the new sight to line up with the marks.

Tip; use the punch supplied with Dawson front sight and follow their instructions and you will be amazed how easy it is.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Which loctite to use?

I see red , blue and green recommened :surprise: how do you decide whats best for a particular application?

You have to decide which one will work best for your particular application. Just general guidelines:

Blue, medium strength, doesn't require special tools or heat to disassemble

Red, high strength, usually requires heat for disassembly

Green, high strength(almost as strong as red), penetrating formula, usually requires heat to disassemble

Red and blue is applied before assembly, while green is applied after assembly and "wicks" into the parts like penetrating oil. Hope this helps.

vote for red. We are running guns hard in this sport. If you discolor a sight by heating of put some small little dents in the sight while removing it, big deal.

I do everything I can to make sure the only way a sight comes off while shooting is if it snags on a port and breaks off.

• 2 weeks later...
Which loctite to use?

I see red , blue and green recommened :surprise: how do you decide whats best for a particular application?

You have to decide which one will work best for your particular application. Just general guidelines:

Blue, medium strength, doesn't require special tools or heat to disassemble

Red, high strength, usually requires heat for disassembly

Green, high strength(almost as strong as red), penetrating formula, usually requires heat to disassemble

Red and blue is applied before assembly, while green is applied after assembly and "wicks" into the parts like penetrating oil. Hope this helps.

Yes, it does Thanks!