Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sps mags

gunracer38

Easy now. The issue here is the original poster bought a mag that didnt work, he sent it back and the importer sent him the wrong caliber, he returned it , was promised a replacement but never got it. So with his experience he doesnt like SPS mags. His problem is not with Bevin as Bevin did not tune them, he didnt buy a mag from Bevin, if he had this wouldnt even be an issue as I know Bevin will stand behind his work.

Mike that works for me bought one from the importer and it did not work. He tried to tune it to get it to work. When he gave up he called the importer back who then told him since it was worked on it couldnt be returned. So my opinion is if you buy SPS mags, by them tuned from Bevin.

Easy now. The issue here is the original poster bought a mag that didnt work, he sent it back and the importer sent him the wrong caliber, he returned it , was promised a replacement but never got it. So with his experience he doesnt like SPS mags. His problem is not with Bevin as Bevin did not tune them, he didnt buy a mag from Bevin, if he had this wouldnt even be an issue as I know Bevin will stand behind his work.

Mike that works for me bought one from the importer and it did not work. He tried to tune it to get it to work. When he gave up he called the importer back who then told him since it was worked on it couldnt be returned. So my opinion is if you buy SPS mags, by them tuned from Bevin.

Hi Chuck. Dante here. One of your loyal followers here in the Philippines.

You guys are lucky to own SPS mags that are already smith-tuned. It's a scarcity here.

We've to buy the stock, grams spring and follower kit then tune them ourselves. A trial and error thing.

In fact, the 29+1 is not yet introduced here.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I bought 3 from SPS years ago and have never got them to run. At the time they were supposed to work in both STI/SV and Para... They are sloppy, sit too low in the STI and arn't worth me fiddling with.... can't see wasting any more $$$$ on them. I'll stick with my SV's for 9mm major, they work right out of the box!!!!

• 3 months later...

Recently bought a SPS 170 tube and installed Bolens internals and a 7mm basepad. Bought this as a backup for the Nationals. Ran perfect with 29+1 in practice for a few weeks. First time it heard a buzzer the 3rd round nosedived under the feed ramp. Changed to Grams internals and now the problem exists continuously. The 2nd or third round nosedives under the feedramp. Basically it looks like the round moves too far forward in recoil and catches the feedramp. I load my 9 major rounds at 1.175col. Any one have a suggestion for a fix?? Why would it run for a few weeks?? I would dearly love to have backup 170.

I actually have the same problems with nosedives with my SPS-Mag. I have tried several internals, STI (OEM), Grams with/ without spacer, SPS and SVI also.

No results. Well, not the results I wanted... :ph34r:

My first thought was the most expensive solution: Get myself a SVI Bigstick or maybe some HSMITH tunes ones......

Suggestions are welcome...

I actually have the same problems with nosedives with my SPS-Mag. I have tried several internals, STI (OEM), Grams with/ without spacer, SPS and SVI also.

No results. Well, not the results I wanted... :ph34r:

My first thought was the most expensive solution: Get myself a SVI Bigstick or maybe some HSMITH tunes ones......

Suggestions are welcome...

I have one on order from Howard, and I have his mags already. They work perfectly !! Howard is still 8 weeks behind from our last conversation, so I bought this for a backup.

The round moving forward and getting lodged under the feed ramp appears to be the problem. Been doing some measurement comparisons with my SV and I think a vice will be needed. I would love to hear any remedy thoughts first though..........please???

I think the problem with the GE, and sps mag tube situation, is the customer suport. I had a big problem before area 3 , a month or so ago. I contacted Doctor optics about it, and I still have not heard back from them. I have since modified the mag to get it to work again, but I think this is crappy customer service. I got a responce the next day, when I wanted to order one. Over a month with no response, when I have a problem. I will not be a repeat customer. I have now added my name to the list for a Hsmith mag. Buyer beware. Oh, 1 more thing, I was the guy Bragging up Doctors wonderful product on here this spring.

Edited by waxman

The problem with the SPS in 9mm is in the transition from double to single stack in the neck of the mag, it is too wide in the front. It would be a bear to fix for the average guy and probably won't stay where you put it longterm. Some of the tubes are soft, if you have one you will need to keep a close eye on it and adjust it periodically to keep it running.

The problem with the SPS in 9mm is in the transition from double to single stack in the neck of the mag, it is too wide in the front. It would be a bear to fix for the average guy and probably won't stay where you put it longterm. Some of the tubes are soft, if you have one you will need to keep a close eye on it and adjust it periodically to keep it running.

That was exactly where I think the problem lies also. Did some work on it this morning in that area. I'm sure it ain't permanent but at least we'll see if there is a change. Something got out of wack because it ran perfectly for a few weeks. I have been using it as a practice mag though and it has been dropped (damn 40yd standards) quite a few times........

I think the problem with the GE, and sps mag tube situation, is the customer suport. I had a big problem before area 3 , a month or so ago. I contacted Doctor optics about it, and I still have not heard back from them. I have since modified the mag to get it to work again, but I think this is crappy customer service. I got a responce the next day, when I wanted to order one. Over a month with no response, when I have a problem. I will not be a repeat customer. I have now added my name to the list for a Hsmith mag. Buyer beware. Oh, 1 more thing, I was the guy Bragging up Doctors wonderful product on here this spring.

My experience has been 180 degrees opposite of yours. You gotta remember, these are "parts" that may or may not need to be fitted/tuned. I have SPS mags from "GE" and they have been 100%. I always (& all my friends) receive excellent service and communication on products and service. Unsure why you did not receive the same.

In my experience the SPS 170mm mag works great. I ordered the mag from SPS and bought the internals from the US. I put them them together without any tuning and it runs 100% with 29+1.

The internals in the mag is the Grams spring and follower, 4mm basepad and this still makes it legal for IPSC rules.

I am indeed very happy with it.