Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Little Kahuna's Range Diary

little_kahuna

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much guys! Lee, you and your son have been quite fun to squad with at matches and I'm looking forward to the next time we can shoot together!

And Tim, thank you for the kind comments and I hope to be able to shoot with you in the future! :D

• 1 month later...

Date: 21 February 2010.

-Type of event: Level I (Local Match).

-Time: 0800-1400.

-Range Conditions: Cool, dry, Extremely windy (~60mp).

-Training partners: Match Participants.

-Gun used: Borrowed Open Gun (5" 9x19Major).

-Ammo shot: Borrowed 9x19 Major.

-General feeling in session: I felt relaxed and happy to shoot again after not shooting for a month.

-Focus of the Sesson: I was simply there to shoot at the unconscious level by disallowing my active mind to obstruct my subconscious mental conditioning.

-Content of the session: The match consisted of 6 stages plus one classifier (peek-a-boo No-shoots). Shooting relaxed has helped me progress and learn. I allowed myself to execute the tasks that my body has been conditioned for. I won HOA against some great shooters, including two strong Master Open shooters.

-New things learned: I learned how to shoot a relaxed match.

-Experimentation: I didn't experiment with much of anything.

-What I want to work on more: I'd like to continue shooting in this calm mental state of being.

-What I did best today: I shot a great relaxed match and had less than 1.5% defect rate (1 miss and 1 no-shoot).

-Goal statement: I am the #1 Junior at 2011 World Shoot.

-Summary: It was a great match, despite the wind. These are the RESULTS FROM FEB SPL USPSA MATCH

-General feeling in session: I felt relaxed and happy to shoot again after not shooting for a month.

-Focus of the Sesson: I was simply there to shoot at the unconscious level by disallowing my active mind to obstruct my subconscious mental conditioning.

-Content of the session: The match consisted of 6 stages plus one classifier (peek-a-boo No-shoots). Shooting relaxed has helped me progress and learn. I allowed myself to execute the tasks that my body has been conditioned for. I won HOA against some great shooters, including two strong Master Open shooters.

-What I want to work on more: I'd like to continue shooting in this calm mental state of being.

-What I did best today: I shot a great relaxed match and had less than 1.5% defect rate (1 miss and 1 no-shoot).

-Summary: It was a great match, despite the wind. These are the RESULTS FROM FEB SPL USPSA MATCH

good job on HOA! The wind didn't seem to affect you at all. It sure seemed to affect the rest of us though.

good job on HOA! The wind didn't seem to affect you at all. It sure seemed to affect the rest of us though.

Thanks! =)

Good job on actually shooting the match and not saying, "Nah, i think i'll just help tape and score... like a big nerd!"

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

I've been shooting on and off over the last month or two, depending on how much ammo i can scavenge lol. It hasn't been anything crazy, but I do have some videos finally.

The goal of my shooting is to simply shoot without mind, to simply maintain awareness. I'm relatively pleased with my performance lately.

I'll start posting regularly after the next match.

Here are the vids (chronologically):

Nice videos. The only reoccurring issues that I see are flailing the gun at crazy angles during the reload which keep the spent mag from dropping free and pulling the gun back too much/far after finishing a shooting position. That and stop looking for holes in the targets. What is your average points captured per stage? 80%? 90%? It seems like you are shooting super fast in some situations and then looking at the targets for hits followed by making up some shots. If you are not capturing 90% - 95% of the stage points then you are shooting too fast causing poor hits.

Other than that, your shooting and movement is looking really good. Keep up the good work :cheers:

Nice videos. The only reoccurring issues that I see are flailing the gun at crazy angles during the reload which keep the spent mag from dropping free and pulling the gun back too much/far after finishing a shooting position. That and stop looking for holes in the targets. What is your average points captured per stage? 80%? 90%? It seems like you are shooting super fast in some situations and then looking at the targets for hits followed by making up some shots. If you are not capturing 90% - 95% of the stage points then you are shooting too fast causing poor hits.

Other than that, your shooting and movement is looking really good. Keep up the good work :cheers:

Thanks

I noticed the mag thing shortly after I started shooting with that gun (which i borrowed from a friend), because the grip broke and i switched it with a stock untuned grip, so they wouldn't always fall out right, and I just kind of adapted. Using my limited gear, I don't really notice myself doing that much. I just need to standardize on one set of equipment and stop changing lol.

Nationals being the exception, I don't drop usually more than a couple C's for a stage, and rarely a D, and almost never a Miss. That's true on the latest two video's at least.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nick,

Good job at SWPL yesterday (for an old guy :roflol: )! Your SS seems to work pretty well also!

Later,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! I know, these old joints are getting crusty, next time you might have to carry my O2 tank through the stage while i shoot. :roflol:

Yeah, thanks! It's a good factory gun.

So... I shot at South West Pistol League on 25 April 2010. I shot my singlestack (with Bob Novak's awesome Techwell XT-TGO 1911 magwell) and my friend's borrowed 9mm Open gun.

The results can be found here: SWPL USPSA 25APR10 Match results

The video of my match in Open can be found here:

The video of my match in Single Stack can be found here:

Analysis:

I had a great time shooting at SWPL. I always get to shoot with my friends and see great people. :D

This was one of the first times I re-entered and shot 2 divisions, so I was plenty distracted, which I think actually helped me. I achieved that "zone" described in my signature. I shot clean, with no penalties, and a couple make-ups here and there. I could have done without the make-ups, but I would rather be safe than sorry. It was a great match, and a great time.

On a completely different note, I would like to commend Gary C. (JohnGaultsGun) for pulling through and being a champ. Even with repetitive stress injuries to his leg, and all the prone shooting at the match, he stuck it out and finished with us, even winning a stage HOA in production! Nice work bro!

Edit: Fixed Links

Edited by little_kahuna

Nick,

Good job at SWPL yesterday (for an old guy :roflol: )! Your SS seems to work pretty well also!

Later,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! I know, these old joints are getting crusty, next time you might have to carry my O2 tank through the stage while i shoot. :roflol:

Yeah, thanks! It's a good factory gun.

So... I shot at South West Pistol League on 25 April 2010. I shot my singlestack (with Bob Novak's awesome Techwell XT-TGO 1911 magwell) and my friend's borrowed 9mm Open gun.

The results can be found here: SWPL match results 25 APR 2010

The video of my match in Open can be found here:

The video of my match in Single Stack can be found here: Nick Santiago shooting SS at SWPL 25APR10

Analysis:

I had a great time shooting at SWPL. I always get to shoot with my friends and see great people. :D

This was one of the first times I re-entered and shot 2 divisions, so I was plenty distracted, which I think actually helped me. I achieved that "zone" described in my signature. I shot clean, with no penalties, and a couple make-ups here and there. I could have done without the make-ups, but I would rather be safe than sorry. It was a great match, and a great time.

On a completely different note, I would like to commend Gary C. (JohnGaultsGun) for pulling through and being a champ. Even with repetitive stress injuries to his leg, and all the prone shooting at the match, he stuck it out and finished with us, even winning a stage HOA in production! Nice work bro!

I fixed your links... and good job son!

Edited by big_kahuna

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I was sick this weekend, but I thought I could just hack it and rest after the match on saturday. Negative... I shot with a fever and serious cough all day. I was really weak, and looking back, it was probably the worst thing I could have done. The results are here... and they are not pretty: Norco Running Gun Saturday 15 May 2010

I felt so bad after the match, I could care less about the shooting, and pretty much just laid out in the car semi-conscious while my parents drove the 2-hour drive home and took care of me. :bow:

After being up sick until i lost consciousness at 2am, I must not have learned my lesson... I set my alarm on Sunday morning for 7am... And I'm up and at 'em. I "felt fine" to shoot the local match here in town. To my surprise, it was a relatively (to Norco on Saturday) great day, as far as shooting is concerned. I only dropped 1 miss and 1 no-shoot in the match, which is 2 more pen. than I am used to having in a regular 6-stage match, but I was content that I didn't zero every stage lol. As far as the health goes, I started coughing up blood on the first stage, and basically just ignored it throughout the match. I'm still awaiting results, but now my dad has confined me to "sick bay" so I'm pretty much on serious lock-down lol. I'll post the local match (Sunday's) results as soon as they are up.

:D

• 9 months later...

I'm back, and I have a new goal. I want to be the youngest to hold a Grandmaster card in every division (6). I also wanna shoot like it... in every division. The start of a new journey: Mastering EVERYTHING. After I get this, I wanna do the same for rifle and shotgun. This is my purpose for existence.

I'm back, and I have a new goal. I want to be the youngest to a Grandmaster card in every division (6). I also wanna shoot like it... in every division. The start of a new journey: Mastering EVERYTHING. After I get this, I wanna do the same for rifle and shotgun. This is my purpose for existence.