Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zeroing Your Rifle

outerlimits

am i the only guy that always worries about checking my zero? even with a larue mount, i always verify my zero before any match i have long range plates in-even if i don't change my loads. am i being anal?

Edited by outerlimits

I verify mine just before every match as well, especially after traveling any distance, and I shoot irons. My biggest concern is that the thinned front post will inadvertently get bent in transit.

it also instills some confidence knowing that I can still hit targets out to 400, so I will routinely take a mag full and verify and play afterwards.

I know others that do the same, so .....................NO you're not a nal!!!

Trapr

How often have you needed to make an adjustment, as a result?

several times-once due to a cheap scope (good old simmons pro diamond-even with a larue mount), and once with an accupoint and a POS mount. but i feel better knowing it's still going where it was when i get to the match.

Having zeros for the ammunition you are going to be shooting at each range that you will engage targets is essential to success. I just finished a two day training session with Tony Holmes; first item on the agenda: zeros!

We checked the zero of shotgun with several types of slugs, and rifle at 25, 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300. If we had been able to check all the way out 550 or 600 I am certain he would have done so.

"In three gun competition you need to know where your gun is shooting at every range."

This fall right in line with my experience in high power/service rifle competition/international combat competition, and bullseye pistol.

And I recommend rechecking it at every opportunity. I am not married to my zero, if I am consistently shooting somewhere other than desired point of impact I will adjust my zero.

I checked my zero with my 55gr FMJ loads at 15,25,50,100,200 and my 55gr Nosler B-Tip loads at 100,200 before going to SMM3G. Then when I got there, I checked it all again and made sure I can hit the small plate at 300 on the public range.

I didn't have to change any zeros, but its a nice confidence booster to know that my rifle is dialed in before I start that 300 yard stage. :)

I like to know its right before a match with stuff out past 100. I have an ACOG in an ARMS mount that I take off everytime I clean. Its always right on when I put it back...but you never know....

I'd like to be like Chris checking all thoses ranges but I could never remember so for me its just a waste of bullets.

Edited by TMC