Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which recoil spring for a light 6 inch limited gun?

Fireant

I did a search and did not find any newer posts. What weight recoil spring should I use for a lightened 6 inch limited gun? I'm shooting 165jhp at about a 172ish PF. Last weekend I was having some real issues with my second shot. The slide is really dipping low for the second shot. The gun is still new to me, but at 7 yards the second shot should not be in the dirt on a quick split.

Edited by Fireant

What kind of spring are you (and anyone else that reads this) using? A 5" 1911 spring ? if so specifically what kinda drive system. I just got a new 6" eagle and the spring that came with it seamed extremely soft. to the point it sometimes didnt want to chamber . granted it is brand new and has only a couple hundred rounds through it. The spring was a 35 coil .038 diameter. I replaced it with a .042 35 coil and it is running like a top. The only 6" springs I found was the kit from wolff they dont have a pound rating and are long enough to make allmost 2 springs.

The recoil spring is for a 5" gun. the gun is bushing barreled, with recoil plug that accepts a 5" spring with the 2 piece rod which is long. STI, or shooters connection has the plugs. I have run it with a standard guide rod and without a guide rod (GI plug) and it also ran just fine.

Same with mine. My gun weighs in at 36 oz, so we are comparing like guns. I'll have to order several different weights and try them out. What I thought was a 12.5 might not be. On a side note, how do you take yours down with the 2 piece guide rod? I went to do it like I did with my 5 inch Eagle, but the plug does not come out the end of the slide.

One semi-crude way of getting the spring in the right ballpark is as follows:

Either using dummy rounds, or at the range with live rounds, load up a mag, lock the slide to the rear, put the loaded mag in the gun. Now, take a sight picture on something and hold it. With your left hand (assuming you're a righty) release the slide while watching the front sight. If the spring is too heavy, the front sight will drop way down. When it's just right, the front sight will stay put.

Obviously, this is a static test and things can change when you're actually shooting the gun, but it's probably not going to be a huge difference up or down from what you get with this method....at least I've found that to be true for myself and a couple of other people. R,

Dipping front sight is usually too much spring if the gun is otherwise correct. With a bull barrel they seem to dip no matter what you do. If the plug on yours doesn't come out the end of the slide you probably have a reverse plug set up, with that you have to use a two piece rod and live with the suck that they are. I hate them personally.

The gun is still new to me

Give it some time, you will adjust to this gun, like you adjusted to your old one.

You might be in the habit of unconsciously driving the muzzle down for the second shot.

I run & install 12.5 ismi springs on the 6" ones I shoot & build. A 6" long guide rod will not come out the rear of an sti slide w/o the reverse plug anyway so you have to use a 2 pc. No big deal , just another way to take it down.

I had a chance to shoot it some last night. What I thought was a 12.5 # spring turned out to be 17#. I found a new 12# and installed that. Then some timing drills and I think that will be the winning combo. It's more of a switch going back to limited than I thought. I just need to slow down a hair. I'm still trying to run the gun at open speeds and I should not be.

Edited by Fireant