Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone making an M&P Comp

kenmulajr

Anyone making a comp for the smith M&P? I know storm lake is making threaded barrels. And you can get all the other pieces to make an open gun over at speedshooter specialties. Please someone say yes

Edited by kenmulajr

You could check with Dan Burwell, because I'm pretty sure he was thinking along those lines. Or see if the threads for the SJC Glock comp are the same and try one of those. I'm thinking of trying that for a minor steel gun with a slide mounted optima I have on the bench right now.

No mags, that is the real problem. You will have to cut two mags and weld them up to make one big stick, and you still won't have a spring designed for that length of magazine. That leaves you trying springs for other mags and the followers that go with them until you find something that will work.

Not trying to be a Richard Cranium, but there are still some real hurdles to get past before the M&P is really a viable option for an open gun.

yeah that would work except i'm looking to use it on my m&p 40 (probably should have written that in my opening post) And the only threaded barrels have 1/2"-28, 1/2"-32, or 9/16"-34 threads. Anyone out there make custom comps?

I am waiting on some comps right now I sent the design to the CNC guy a while ago. He said a couple weeks a couple weeks ago. Kenny at speed shooters will have us some 170 mag extensions any day now. So I am hoping to have my open gun any day now. I am using a jpoint with the dovetail mount form Kenny.

thanks dan, I probably should have just pm'ed you with the question in the first place. Are the comps for 40 or are you going to try 9mm major in the m&p?

Edited by kenmulajr

They are going to be for 9. I am planning on running mine for 9 major. I know one other guy that may run it for an open 9 minor steel gun. After I get a few for 9 I may or may not ba able to get my guy to make one for 40. Not sure why you'd want to run a 40 you'll be giving up a boat load in the capacity dept but if is something you have to have I'll keep you in mind.

i see primer flow with factory ammo out of the M&P. i guess it has something to do with being striker fired and the striker moving out of place during peak pressure.

if they are flowing at 35000psi, how are they going to behave at 50KPSI+?

Harmon

What are the characteristics of the M&P that make it so desirable for an open gun?

Why not? It's a gun he owns and likes. The grip angle is virtually (if not completely) identical to a 1911. From the factory the gun is more than accurate for the sport and the only thing that it would need is to get a barrel made from someone like a Bar-Sto (or other barrel manufacturer), and a little handiness on a mill.

As for mags, that's in due time. We've discussed in the past though that if you've got 23-26 rounds, you're more than capable of shooting any stage as well as folks with 29-31's. There's always room for a reload and done properly, they cost no time.

Rich

ETA: This sport is built on creativity and ingenuity. Pressures were a problem in 38 Super major until folks figured it out. I'm quite certain that our engineering/inventive spirit isn't gone.

Edited by uscbigdawg

plus if i go buy another gun someone promised they would use it on me

Thats a pretty darn good reason, Ken :) I am fortunate to have a wife that loves shooting as much as me. We don't fight about me buying a new gun, we fight about who gets to shoot it first! Just curious about the guns characteristics is all.

Why not? It's a gun he owns and likes.

Relax, Rich. Don't get your panties in a bunch :) It was an honest question stemming from curiosity. I tend to do things my own way after weighing the pros and cons of of a given piece of equipment....Yes, innovation is alive and well. Yada, Yada.

Edited by larry cazes

yeah that would work except i'm looking to use it on my m&p 40 (probably should have written that in my opening post) And the only threaded barrels have 1/2"-28, 1/2"-32, or 9/16"-34 threads. Anyone out there make custom comps?

PM me and we'll talk....

PM me and we'll talk....

Mr. Hawley, Funny you should respond to this thread, I will be contacting you if my guy doesn't get a move on it, you were next my list for this project. Actually I am sending you a PM on another project I had in mind.