Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Black Bullet in 40

hf219

I use PBs and Tite Group for practice and local matches. The smoke can get pretty bad if the conditions are right, high humidity and no breeze. I really like Precisions but the I've got some Solo 1000 on the way to test as a replacement for TG.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

universal clays shoots OK without a lot of smoke

Harmon

Not if you want to make major using their170gr bullet it doesn't. Man oh man it REALLY doesn't. I was shooting 172pf loads using universal and 170gr precision moly coated. Got tons of nasty black smoke.  You can probably do it with their 185s, but I had a bunch of 170s I ahd been using for minor .40. 

WST works about the best I have found with Moly, I am using a 6 inch gun and I gain a little speed from the slower powder so I can back off a bit. Tightgroup and clays loads were almost identical in 5" and 6" gun but WST picked up about 40 fps in the " go figure.

For Limited division with my .40 STI Edge, I use the Precision 185 (actually 186 on my scale) with 4.6 g VV 320. OAL = 1.180" I tried the 170 grain version - but my groups were noticeably larger than the 185s. This 320/185 combination yields about 173 pf, and little smoke - no where near as much smoke as lead, slightly more than the 180 Zero JHP.

I tried Titegroup with Precision .40 185s; it was like a smokescreen got thrown out after every shot. This was at sea level with our customary high temps and high humidity. Smoke was so bad I couldn't see the target during stand and shoot strings (choo choo, all aboard). I use HP 38 since I get anything else here; it smokes a lot less. I noticed that the Precision bullets leave more gunk in the bore than the BBI's.

I use Solo 1000 with the Precision 170's in my Cameron's 6" Limited gun. 5.2g at 1.180 oal with get me right at 171pf. It is a tad smokey especially in a humid area, but actually shoots softer than VV n320 and about half the cost.

Edited by AZGunut

• 2 weeks later...

I've been shooting the 170 with 5.0gr of Solo 1k at 1.185 OAL through my new 6" limited gun. Haven't chrono'd it yet, but I'm glad to hear that others are making PF with this load.