Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Release

kgunz11

As my wife says, "bigger IS better", so I want to swap out my STI factory mag release button. I recently got an Edge with the cyclone mag release and I like it. What's it take to install one of those on my other STI pistol?

You'll either need to drill and tap your stock mag release, or spend a few bucks and buy one that's already threaded. Most mag releases are just drop-in, but I've had to debur the inside of the frame and smooth out the release on my 1911.

OK so I can drill and tap the existing button and screw the cyclone cap on it and it's done? That sounds entirely too easy.

There is nothing easy about drilling and tapping a standard button. They are HARD.

:angry2: You already have one of my guns Merlin, you want them all? :P A guy gotta learn to work on his own stuff at some point. Thus far I've learned to tune mags and extractors, I'm getting there, still trying to crawl...

I thought it was a great idea to have a bigger one on my limited gun. Being able to drop that mag faster seemed like a good idea. It works so well I now can drop a mag without even thinking of it. As in I don't even think of dropping a mag in the middle of a stage and it happens anyway! YMMV.

Same here Dale, 'BANG F^%K, reload, rack, BANG F%$K, it is sort of funny now but it wasn't at all funny at the time. Put the button on, dry fired a little and all was well until I got to the match.

I can use a very small button on a single stack but on the double stack guns it isn't even remotely an option.

I thought it was a great idea to have a bigger one on my limited gun. Being able to drop that mag faster seemed like a good idea. It works so well I now can drop a mag without even thinking of it. As in I don't even think of dropping a mag in the middle of a stage and it happens anyway! YMMV.

LMFAO!!! That just funny right there!

I think I had one of those exact same models! After a few unscheduled (magazine) landings I was happy to revert to a standard release.

But when I bought a gun that had a Cyclone installed, I found myself thinking of it in the same terms as that whiney little brat from the "Goldilocks" story......It's juuusssst right!

:D

Buying one already drilled and tapped is the easy way to go, but it's not impossible to do it yourself.

If you heat the button to the point that it starts to get red, but not glowing and let it cool you'll be able to drill it with a drill press and then tap it. Don't bother trying if you don't have a drill press!

Dale,

I use a small paddle on my Limited gun. I put in a Wolff extra power mag catch spring. No mag drops, my thumb doesn't even know the spring was changed.

+1. My Glocks all have standard releases now. YMMV, but practice overcame the difficulty in hitting the standard release for me. Sucks to have premature ejectulation, especially when all your friends are watching! :lol:

One aside, I have a new Edge that required that the original mag release to be filed to not hit the mag bodies when completely depressed. I got a drilled and tapped unit from STI that ALSO required the same filing.

Seth

OK... Al of us think we would like to have a bigger one.... We really don't need one any bigger than the standard one. Just practice using the one you have.... :closedeyes:

I have practiced it when shooting the glock. In matches I use my left thumb to use the mag release but in dry-fire I try to use my right and have always been faster but can't do it in match because when I have to slide my grip over to hit it. I rather have a bigger one.