Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Picking a red dot sight

MustangGreg66

Ok guys, so I just shot a .22 steel match at the range this weekend, we have a few a year as I learned. It was a lot of fun, but with a 4x scope and paralax set at 30' it was a bit hard to shoot targets at 15' LOL and a 2x scope I've got on my .22 handgun makes it a bit heavy to be swinging around. I've determined that I NEED to get a red dot sight. My dad bought a cheap chinese knock off one from the gunshow a while back, but I wasn't impressed.

I don't want to spend $400 for a Doctor, but I like the small profile of that sight I was thinking about the following ones from NcSTAR or a Burris Fastfire. Anyone had any experience with NcSTAR? I can't figure the diffrence between the DDAB and DAAB NcSTAR sights except for the price

NcStar DDAB Sight $48

NcSTAR DAAB Sight $83

Burris Fastfire $175

My use for it would most likely be our informal .22 matches, plinking, maybe try to get a base for the fastfire for my glock 35 and give that a try. If you can think of another sight that might fit the bill, don't hesitate to suggest something too, thanks guys

Edited by MustangGreg66

A big probelm is that the market is flooded with crappy China made copies made with some kind of strange breakable metal.

I used to get Hakko scopes that were good ...for a light recoil guns. many MFg are useing China to make products but the have standards and check the product. What happens is that same scope gets copied and made Cheeper than cheep

and some windage screws are too small or what ever and the thing will not hold sight in for more than a few hundred rounds or less.

Save your self some greff and get a better scope.

I would not put a Ncstar on my gun if it was free I don't know about the Burris but I bet they keep on top of what they are importing, I allso bet it is made in China too.

Hakko was in Japan and had good red dots = but they are out of the red dot buss.

Oh watch out too lots of copies of the Aimpoint = many are made for Air Soft guns

Edited by AlamoShooter

I had a NcStar scope on my AR. I wanted to use it for varmint hunting. I think it was a 9-24 power. Anyway, it was a total piece of junk. The zero MOVED as you zoomed in and out, by inches!!. I should have known better, cheap POS.

If you are going to buy economy optics, I'd try Mueller Optics. I have one on my 22 and it's solid. Decent glass, no frills, but no surprises either. They are building a reputation of economical quality. They're no leupold, but they aren't a rip-off NcStar either.

They sell a reflex type red dot that is probably a decent performer.

Mueller Optics

Edited by Jeff686

Yea, I was afraid of that. You'd think if they were charging $80 for it then it would be decent. For .22 it would probably be decent, but since I'm thinking of putting it on something a bit larger too then I'm really leaning toward the Burris, I've used their scopes before and they are really good.

Yea, I did some more searching about the NcSTAR and found references to it on paintball gun websites.... don't think I'll be putting one of those one my firearms.

put a C more on it, They are pretty much universally used in USPSA open. they can be had for around $250 will last forever and if you end up not liking it in a few years someone here will buy it from you.

I had a C-More on my first two open guns, but, swithced to OKOs in 2004. They have bigger windows, and are brighter. Being a little color blind, I see the OKOs better than the C-Mores.

For red dot optics that are heads up display... I love OKO. I think they make a quality dot, they just came out with one for weaver rails. Cmore also makes a decent dot but I don't like the rheostat adjustment. I'm a big fan of tube sites as well. I'm big on the Tasco PDP4's and 5's but My father and I use them primarily for pin shooting. Hakko's made great dots but like Jamie said they are out of the red dot business and there are tons of cheap knockoffs that are being produced that will go out on you.

The biggest pieces of crap I have ever seen were most def. the ATN ultrasight.