Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW kind of ELBOW PAIN?

I've read everyone's threads on golfer's and tennis elbow AKA: Tendonitis.

It would burn like fire when I'd grip the gun.

I suffered with Tendonitis last year. A Strap, Aleve and Ice allowed me to shoot with out too much interference.

I laid off of shooting for about 6 months and gave my elbow some time to recover.

That was a year ago.

This year, as I'm getting back into shooting and trying to practice, I've got a new problem.

My elbow can't support much weight without sharp pain right in the center of the joint.

Not on the outside where the tendonitis usually hurts.

Right on the inside where the bicep tendon meets the joint.

Climbing a ladder is difficult, and I don't think I could support myself with my Right (Strong) Arm only if I needed to.

The pain increases progressively with increased weight (no kidding huh) but also peaks when I rotate my wrist.

Example: I can pick up a large glass of tea with my arm extended, but when I bring it into my face it begins to hurt and when I rotate my wrist to drink, FIRE!!!!

Operating a Reloading Press isn't fun either.

Neither is hand throwing clays.

Any Ideas????

Yes, I've done the same thing as everyone else. and Ignoring it has not made it go away.

My Strong Arm is now my weak arm.

A couple of weeks ago, I was experiencing sharp needle-like pain in my forearm too.

Now the pain is radiating toward my shoulder.

I have an appointment scheduled with an orthopedic surgeon next week.

Anyone??

Edited by bayoupirate

I will start this with one statement. I really do not like surgeons (Nothing personal folks) I was told by a Surgeon that was a customer to be very careful with surgeons because they make their money cutting not talking. This person taught at a very good med school so I trusted his advice. I use alternative medicine whenever I can. Chiropractic care and Acupuncture.

Now that you have my philosophy, I will tell you that the best part I see in your post is you made an appointment with an Orthopod. It sounds like you need one. If he/she is good, I would hope they would send you for an MRI. if the MRI shows no gross abnormality, I would then hope they would send you for about 6 weeks of Physical Therapy. If after that you still are not better, they will probably look at surgical correction of whatever it is they have found.

Try to stay away from cortisone shots, they are not your friend in the long run. Before you try any alternative medicines, eliminate the chance of muscle tears etc that need to be surgically corrected. I have had a lot of arm/elbow/hand problems over the years and have not been cut yet and things are going well for my right now because of my regular Chiropractic adjustments and the acupuncture.

Best of luck and don't forget the value of a second opinion before going under the knife.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I went to see a very reputable orthopedic surgeon for a shoulder problem. He also takes care of all the local college sports guys, people trust him. Well after a short physical exam and a review of my x-rays he decided that I wasn't a surgery candidate. Off I went for nerve studies and an MRI thrown in for good measure to make sure he wasn't missing something on the x-ray, no cutting was involved. He started me on physical therapy and my problem resolved, it was a nerve issue. A good surgeon isn't going to cut just for the sake of cutting.

Good luck to you!

The pain increases progressively with increased weight (no kidding huh) but also peaks when I rotate my wrist.

Example: I can pick up a large glass of tea with my arm extended, but when I bring it into my face it begins to hurt and when I rotate my wrist to drink, FIRE!!!!

Biceps tendinitis(osis) would be my first guess. But I would definitely get it looked at to know for sure.

I was having a bout of tendinitis several months ago and I thought it could be due to my shooting but to my surprise is was how I was SLEEPING.... :wacko: I sleep on my right side stomach down with my right arm under the pillow and this was the cause...I swithed to my left side and in 2 weeks the pain was gone....I never would have thought of it until a buddy told me the same thing happened to him....

Hope it gets better quickly

Randal

I was having a bout of tendinitis several months ago and I thought it could be due to my shooting but to my surprise is was how I was SLEEPING.... :wacko: I sleep on my right side stomach down with my right arm under the pillow and this was the cause...I swithed to my left side and in 2 weeks the pain was gone....I never would have thought of it until a buddy told me the same thing happened to him....

Hope it gets better quickly

Randal

I'm glad you mentioned that. I've learned that (for me) when I get mystery aches and pains popping up in my elbows and shoulders, I need to look at how I'm sleeping. Changing positions usually helps.

Biceps tendinitis(osis) would be my first guess. But I would definitely get it looked at to know for sure.

Ditto on bicipital tendinitis.

Hi Scooter,

No, not in the dog house again, but i do get the occasional "time out" in there.

THANK everyone for all of the great information.

I do think that my normal sleeping position my be have someting to do with to the problem. I so sometimes end up with my right arm under my head.

I hope that I do get an MRI just to rule out any injury that I may have not rememebered causing to myself.

It's the radiating pain that makes me freak out and suspect that there's more to it.

Alki, I'm using the other hand for as many things as possible, but it's difficult to adapt.

Edited by bayoupirate

• 7 months later...

Just wanted to update everyone on my elbow.

First, Thanks for all of the thoughts and ideas.

I tried a few.

Finally broke down and went to see my ortho doc.

X-rayed and maniplated, but nothing abnormal.

Gave me to anti-inflamatory meds to try.

They did nothing to help.

Spoke with an Ortho Surgery Nurse friend and she says she's sure that I need a Ulnar Nerve Release.

It's like Carpal Tunnel, but in the elbow joint.

Regardless. I can't afford an MRI because my insurance doesn't cover much.

The pain in the center of my arm is minimal now.

I have most pain on the inside of my elbow now.

That being the opposite side as normal tennis elbow.

The good thing is that is very managable and responds to using one of those little forearm band things.

Shot the Gator Classic this weekend.

First match in a long time and I have a lot more rust to knock off, but it was great to be out shooting again.

Spoke with an Ortho Surgery Nurse friend and she says she's sure that I need a Ulnar Nerve Release.

It's like Carpal Tunnel, but in the elbow joint.

Unless you are feeling numbness and tingling in your ring and pinky finger then I doubt it.

I have most pain on the inside of my elbow now.

That being the opposite side as normal tennis elbow.

If that's the case then it sounds like golfers elbow (medial epicondylitis), but I wouldn't expect your physician to have any trouble diagnosing it. Maybe have a physical therapist, perhaps a certified hand therapist, look at it. If it is golfers elbow then I would treat it with eccentric wrist curls.

I do think that my normal sleeping position my be have something to do with to the problem. I so sometimes end up with my right arm under my head.

Hey everybody!! This is a REALLY good place to begin looking. There is Compression Ischemia to consider. Sleeping positions are a big contributor to all kinds of odd problems. Chronically depriving tissue of adequate blood supply causes hyper sensitivity in nerve tissue and inflammation responses in muscle. Joints do not like being in odd positions for several hours at a time without movement. If you sleep on a firm mattress, eventually position habits in sleep will start to turn into shoulder pain, weakness and tingling in the hand and forearm, neck pain and a bunch of other odd problems. A memory foam mattress topper at least 4 inches thick can make an enormous difference in a short period of time. It reduces tissue compression in a very pleasant way, inexpensively! Peculiar sleeping positions also make things in the upper Thoracic area move around in unpleasant ways. The muscular dynamics in that area are kind of complicated and we tend to carry a great amount of tension there. This in turn will also make pressure on nerve pathways. There are simple adjustments for the vertebra in that area and the tissue there responds well to trigger point or St. John method Neuro Muscular Therapy!

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!"

Sherlock Holmes

My elbow can't support much weight without sharp pain right in the center of the joint.

Not on the outside where the tendonitis usually hurts.

Climbing a ladder is difficult, and I don't think I could support myself with my Right (Strong) Arm only if I needed to.

Any Ideas????

Anyone??

Distal biceps tendinopathy/chronic partial tear. Final answer.