Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shouting out "Hit" or "Miss"?

boo radley

I'm new to steel, and very fortunate in that a club that's an hour away has started a monthly Steel Challenge match. I've shot it twice, and really like this stuff. :)

One area that seems erratic is how/when to call hits or misses for people. Is this even legal? I'm finding when I'm shooting, I really prefer NOT to have anyone say anything, but others want or expect to hear if they've missed a plate, or have an edge hit, and this can get confusing, quickly.

The RO will be saying "Miss!" and someone in the gallery yelling, "Hit it!" (!)....etc. Then the shooter gets all grumpy and convinced it's YOU who's screwed him into eating a 3 sec penalty....

What is the policy on this?

We keep our pie-holes shut until the shooter is done on that string. We do like to have as many eye-balls watching as we can get. We call out the misses between strings. If we aren't sure, we go look at the paint and count hits. (paint between each shooter)

Oh...we have metal posts...so those get painted too. (they can ring like a hit)

Not Acceptable Here.

The only exception would be if the shooter was a brand new shooter who asked to be coached by the RO. No Comments from the Peanut Gallery.

(I have done this for my 9 year old shooting buddy who shoots .22 and can't hear the shots with muffs)

You had better not do it at the Main event in California. That would be real funny the first time some-one did it on Gean's stage AKA gunny on five to go :blink:

An entry level shooter sometimes you just have to help them some. =IF! they want it. Other than that it can only bring hassles

Only for a noob that has asked for the help. With my shooting contact in I normally can't see a hit at 10 yards so I need to either call my shots as best I can (good) or wait for the ding and hope I didn't post it. (bad) I still routinely leave plates and shoot the same one 2 or 3 times. Can you say "keep on practicing?" :P