Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinning Sti Grip For Small Hands

vincent

I have an STI Edge with a short trigger and Roupe Grip. However the grip is still a little too big for my hands and my trigger finger rubs the frame. I would like to remove some material from the grip to give myself better trigger reach. I have attached an image of my gun for clarification (see below). There are several colored circles in the image showing the areas that I would like to modify.

On the red circle I would like to "flatten" the rounded portion of the "grip panel" near the top grip screw. In the blue circle I would like to round the edge of the plastic on the area behind the trigger. Also on the steel insert into the grip specified by the yellow circle I would like to contour this corner a bit for comfort. I would probably perform some amount of these modifications on both sides of the grip. I was planning on using light sandpaper to hand sand the contours into place.

Before I potentially destroy the grip, I want to get some opinions from those who know more about it. I also sent this info to Dawson and I'm waiting on an email reply. Any information or opinions about these modifications would be appreciated.

example1.jpg

You can remove material and round off the blue area fairly easily-- eventually you'll hit the trigger spaces. You can remove less from the red area, but you should be able to go to the bottom of the checkering and be OK.

You might also be able to gain some (or lose in this case) with a trigger shorter than your short trigger. I don't know if the S-V modular trigger has a pad that makes it effectively shorter, but you should be able to make your own from the big "grind your own" trigger that STI makes. Or you could fill-in the holes in your existing trigger with some suitable material and grind it down a bit too.

I researched other short triggers, but the STI short model is the smallest. I can take a very small amount off the face of the trigger, but even the gunsmith "blank" version only goes down to the same size as the short model.

I'll look at the grip safety as well. I haven't measured it for thickness. I also need to pin it securely. I am using the wedged shok buff right now but the gap between the safety and the mainspring housing on my Edge is larger than any other 1911 I own and I can't find a buff thick enough to get a good fit. A trip to the drill press will fix it for good. I just need to find the time.

I still think my best bet is to reduce the grip. Hopefully someone has already done this before and knows the drill. :D

I have an STI Edge and I also put a short trigger in.

I have really big hands and a short stubby index finger and this is what I did--->

*Pinning the safety helps(drill and tap an allen set screw so that the mainspring housing holds it securely.

*I took a file and cut down that annoying ridge on both sides (yellow circle)that really helped.

*I carefully sanded a space below the top grip screw(red circle) so the side of my index finger has a little more clearance (go easy in this area).

* you can also take a file (or dremmel) and relieve the area in the blue circle (I use a file and take my time because once you remove too much material it is too late).

*I also took a file and put a chamfer (broke the edge) in the area above the trigger guard on the frame.

*I also took an arkansas stone and blended the area where the beaver tail grip meets the frame

After doing these simple mods it made a huge difference in how my Edge feels

hope this helps.

Here is the reply from Dawson:

"Take some off the blue area near trigger as long as you avoid the mag release area. take a little

less off the red center area ( you'll hit metal ), and very, very little off rear area ( yellow ).

Best to reduce the rear end of gun if possible ( grip safety and m/s housing )."

One of my buddies has an old stripped STI grip so I think I'll borrow it to use as a guide. I'll post back when the work is complete and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the replies. If anyone has more information or pictures of completed work I would appreciate any help.

I would contact Brazos and see what they can do to your existing grip to "fit" it to your hand. They are very good, but may be too busy building Custom Pistols to do your work in a timely fashion. It's worth a call though!

It would probably be less of a headache to try the SV Scott's grip (competition and compact). That grip is covered in grip tape and is not much bigger around than a standard 1911. My fiance' is asleep, but I will post some measurements tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also narrow the grip by grinding down the slight speed bump on the grip safety (if you don't care about a functioning gs) so that it's flush with the ms housing. Filing the gs to match the contour of the frame also helps. Getting rid of those little bits of material has made a huge difference in the feel of my gun.