Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

negitivity towards Glocks?

Dan Hefta

What a silly thread.

Who really gives a...crap? Busting balls is a big part of this sport! If you can't take the ballbusting, then you are probably not in the right sport!

Wait a minute PB. This isn't a silly thread, it's a ball bustin' thread. Like you said, Busting balls is a big part of this sport. Trash talking is the best part of my game, even if I can't back it up with skill. That's ok though because I can "take it" much better than I can dish it out. I have no problem bashing Glocks all day long, but when I show up at a match, it'll be a Glock that's in my holster (and in my nightstand). :)

-Cuz.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew this would be an interesting topic. :rolleyes:

Stirring the pot eh Daniel?

Folks, I guess I MUST admit to ya'll that Daniel is my best buddie. Sometimes he isn't well...if you know what I mean.......

HAHA.

I have a STI Edge and 2 Glocks and I like them all!

The STI shoots easier and is a bit more accurate, but once in a few thousand rounds my STI has a jam and those things from Austria always work and my STI is a bit picky about the ammo, but that's easily fixed ;-)

I didn't want to own a Glock because I thought they were ugly (I consider a STI as pretty), but after shooting one several years ago, I had to admit that Glocks are great guns (if they fit you) and here in Europe they're very popular and about the cheapest IPSC pistol available.

And don't forget: Glocks parts are very cheap and you don't need a gunsmith to work on them (although working on them is not really needed).

Glock $400-500 and it works. STI Edge $1600.00 and it won't work from the factory. I'd be jealous too.

AMEN brother! I'd put my G21 up against "ANY" 1911 or 2011 pistol "Anyday" "Anytime" The jealously clouds their judgement. :cheers:

I had a couple of 1911 buffs harassing me yesterday. Some of the statements, my responses.

"That's way too much Tupperware for me!" Yes, it is a lot of plastic, but they shoot well for me.

"You need a 1911!" I already have one.

"How come you're not shooting it?" Two reasons. First, as I look at my classifier scores, I'm doing better with Glock at the moment. Second, .45 bullets are just two damn expensive right now!

"Glock just isn't an American gun!" Mine says Smyrna, Georgia on it.

"That plastic frame isn't going to last like steel." It's tough enough. How about I let you run over my gun with your truck if you put your 1911 next to it?

"If you're shooting competition, your should be using a 1911, they're more accurate." Would you like to test that theory on a scope sight-in target at 25 yards?

And that was a wrap.

There's always going to be some ball-busting going on at the range. I don't mind, like PB said, it's part of the game and it's human nature. Ford vs. Chevy...whatever. I used to hate Glocks until I shot one in competition and found that once I got used to the trigger that for some reason I do well with them. They work for me, but I'll be seen on the range with a 1911 from time to time. It's not an either-or thing for me. I like 'em both! Glock has its strengths for me. Since I'm not very mechanically inclined, I do appreciate the simplicity of Glocks in that I can work on them myself to tune triggers and what-not. Simple gun for a simple mind, I guess! 1911 goes to a gunsmith when I need something and I could have bought a Glock or two for the money I've spent tweaking the thing! :lol: I do love my 1911 though. Everybody should own at least one. Get a Glock too, if it fits your paw - it doesn't work for everybody.

I had a couple of 1911 buffs harassing me yesterday. Some of the statements, my responses.

"That's way too much Tupperware for me!" Yes, it is a lot of plastic, but they shoot well for me.

"You need a 1911!" I already have one.

"How come you're not shooting it?" Two reasons. First, as I look at my classifier scores, I'm doing better with Glock at the moment. Second, .45 bullets are just two damn expensive right now!

"Glock just isn't an American gun!" Mine says Smyrna, Georgia on it.

"That plastic frame isn't going to last like steel." It's tough enough. How about I let you run over my gun with your truck if you put your 1911 next to it?

"If you're shooting competition, your should be using a 1911, they're more accurate." Would you like to test that theory on a scope sight-in target at 25 yards?

And that was a wrap.

I have always found outshooting people is the best solution to this part of the problem. Also this really doesn't just pertain to Glocks, it goes for any plastic pistol. I get crap for my XD as well (mostly from glockers) but who doesn't? my easy way out is to just say, "Uh huh... Yeah... Ok... I don't have the money."

Glock $400-500 and it works. STI Edge $1600.00 and it won't work from the factory. I'd be jealous too.

AMEN brother! I'd put my G21 up against "ANY" 1911 or 2011 pistol "Anyday" "Anytime" The jealously clouds their judgement. :cheers:

I'll take that challenge.

If you love your Glock, .... fine.

You think it's supremely reliable, ... fine.

But if you think my SVI won't run you're crazy.

I have owned it for almost 4 years and run more rounds through it than I can count.

It has never malfunctioned.

Let me say that again.

Can you do better than perfect?

Tls

Edited by 38superman

OK, I am NOT going to read 4 pages of Ford vs. Chevy, but.....

I will say that ALL styles/brands of gun have problems/hiccups!!!

Get over it, and enjoy the sport and the camaraderie that is created out there shooting matches!!!

then your gunsmith is very good.

Actually, the gun builder is very good.

The gun has run from day one.

The only time a gunsmith ever touched it was to put a fiber optic front sight on it.

I'm with you ZH.

I've never had any negitivity toward Glocks and I don't want to be responsible for stirring the pot.

Therefore, I will bid this thread farewell.

Tony

New guy here.

My conclusions are based on how a weapon performs not on prejudices.

Don't beat me up too much on the length of this post. :D

USMC (78-82) spoiled me a little to like the Govt .45

It always went bang when you pulled the trigger and it was used for everything from a weapon to a lock opening device to a pry something open device.

It was not the most accurate handgun I've ever fired but it always stood up to the punishment and still functioned without problems.

THe only time and I mean THE ONLY TIME I ever saw a .45 malfunction was during the Eastern Division matches at Camp Lejeune in 1980 or 81.

I was shooting it. A super tuned up whiz bang competition .45 shooting one handed bullseye at 50 yards.

A very accurate weapon but tempermental.

Several trips to the armorers there near the firing line and they thought they finally had it solved.

I shot one rounad just fine.

The second round went bang but then the weapon went fully auto.

If it had not jammed after the 4th round I damm well might have killed someone standing behind me since with the one handed grip the recoil just torqued my arm back almost so the wepon was pointed behind me.

I turned to my coach (Capt Connell Double Distinguished shooter and flew OV-10s in Vietnam) and told him I was turning this P.O.S. in and not shooting the .45 in the competition anymore.

He concurred.

Like I said the ONLY time I ever saw a govt model .45 malfunction.

I attribute it to shoddy gunsmithing. Sorry if this offends any USMC armorers out there but maybe this weapon was worked on by the guy that graduated last in his armorers class. :blink:

Joined my P.D. in 86 and we had the wheelguns. S&W 64-10 in .38 cal.

Liked them. they were steel, had some weight to them, and they shot just fine.

Still have mine at home. I take it out and shoot it once in a while.

We switched to the glock 19 while I was a relatively new member of ESU.

Trigger pull was, and still is, horrible (Mandated by the P.D. we have the "New York " trigger) , the weapon is lighter, shoots ok.

We were told during our transition school (from wheel guns to the Grock) that the Glock was tested by taking it up in a helicopter to a height of 100' and then it was dropped out onto concrete where it was then picked up and fired without malfunction.

OK.

I was assisting dets with a felony arrest one day and the suspect decided to resist....a lot.

Wound up with the glock being used as an impromptu impact weapon.

1 strike.

Glock to the nose.

Suspect in custody everybody safe. :cheers:

Go to holster my glock and "Holy Sheiss!" the slide has lifted off the rails on one side. :surprise:

Took it out to the armorers section.

Told them what happened.

Asked them "I thought this was a gun dropped from 100' onto concrete and then fired but it won't stand up to one guys nose?

THeir response: "We never told you to hit anyone with it." :rolleyes:

Not a big fan of the glock for that and other reasons.

Someone said they have the lions share of the L.E. market.

Thats true.

Depts like them because :

#!. They're cheap

#2 Simple to operate. No external safeties, decocking levers, just take it out of the holster and pull the trigger.

#3 as a result of #1 & 2 training your guys is cheaper and easier. (Less time spent training guys =$ saved)

#4 Repairs are simple. Parts just drop in and out. No machining to make stuff fit.

If it breaks (Like mine did, extractor, at annual range qual) no sweat it was about a 10 minute repair job by the armorer and that included the walk to and from the armorer.

THey are cheap, easy to train guys on that have no experience on auto handguns, they are easy to repair for armorers, easy to dissassemble and clean.

THey sound pretty good....right?

HOWEVER:

I have a good friend who when I told him my dept was considering a switch to the Glock .40 sent me a large file of information concerning his depts problems with their Glock .40.

Apparently there were instances of frame failures/cracking and in a couple instances rails coming off the weapon rendering it useless and unrepairable.

Not too big a deal in competition.

I mean the worst thing that could happen is you're up for some big time competition and you lose.You come in second instead of first. :angry2:

IMHO Not a big deal dudes and dudettes.

When it happens to a cop on the street, the consequences can be just a little bit more seriouser. ;)

We used the info from my good friend to steer our range staff away from purchasing a potential problem.

My friends dept had contacted Glock several times and it finally took a letter from their Chief basically threatening to take their business elsewhere to get Glock to react with some good customer service.

SO.....not a big fan of the grock.

I shoot it in competition because its what my dept issues to me.

We don't get a choice of which weapon we carry.

Dept issues it and thats that.

I'm a firm believer in the training philosophy that you fight how you train. Or if you prefer your reactions while under extreme stress will be dictated by how you have trained.

I shoot "production" class with my grock 19 with its horrible trigger pull and using my duty rigs.

I may never outshoot Dave Sevigney or any of the other top shooters out there but I'll be as good as I can be with it.

When choosing your weapon for competition I realize that my concerns may not be the same as the concerns of someone whose sole concern is shooting in competitions .

I hope this helps a little with the whole thread.

I apologize again for the length of this posting.

JK

I think one of our mods closed this thread as it was going into a "this gun vs. that gun" debate. I'm going to open it back for a second just to add a bit to the last post.

On the frame rails...there was a recall (Glock called it an upgrade) of sorts a while back that had to do with the frame rails. That is serial number specific. One can find out if their Glock was within that "upgrade" by calling Glock.

On using the Glock to strike with. Old time forum member Paul S. (hangs out on another forum now, dedicated to training)... I know that Paul has done training with using guns as impact weapons. He's talked of working them on heavy bags and just all around beating the crap out of stuff with them. His choice, at the time I was reading his reports, was a G21. He doesn't have much fondness for the stock Glock sights (but, who does)...as they rip right off gun.

On reports from various police agencies that have troubles. I read any of these I come across. And, then I often go to a couple of different forums that I know of where the cops that hang out are also shooters. More often than not, these reports are isolated at one particular agency/department, which is a bit odd...given the numbers out there. After a while, many of the reports are properly explained. (For a recent example...a major ammo company let some double charged ammo out the door. I won't name the ammo company, as I believe it was an isolated incident and they have a good track record)

This isn't meant as a rebuttal to the above post. Just wanted to add a bit of perspective. Obviously, if the slide rails failed on the gun he used as an impact weapon...then the slide rails failed.

On that note (as I close this back up) I'll leave you with this funny skit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=b0LPUI0lfVw