Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winning before you show up

BSeevers

Well thought I would start out my 2008-shooting year with a range diary entry. Went to a local indoor range and had to endure the usual stuff: guns pointed at me, tactical terry’s, ya know what I mean. The range staff was unusually friendly and good-natured. I really liked the range but I try to avoid indoor ones because of lead issues (inhaled and forcefully injected).

Well I shot very well. I was calling shots every time, shooting a 4x6 inch hole in the "a" zone and having such a great time that I shot every rd I had brought including the Limited and Production guns. Got the usual indoor range smirk(good thing I face down range) as people who weren't pasting their targets started hammering shots so they "showed me they could shoot fast too" and guy beside me telling a girl "He has that laser sight so he can't miss" Funny how he didn't say anything about the M&P or the .40 SV :devil: Oh well I digress.

For me the first practice of the year is very telling of where I am and sets a tone. Frankly, it feels good. I really feel that I was peaking late last year and it looks like I am bringing it into 08. I have some opportunities for improvement that I decided to focus on, in live fire. as soon as winter realizes that its finished. Had a great time this winter reading all of the info I have and building a desire to win. Budget wise shooting big matches looks to be a hurdle since its about double of last year’s costs for me, so something has to give and I made the decision as to what will. New job takes a lot of time and effort but I can do it.

I remember watching the dot at the indoor range and cutting out more of the hole cause I wanted to see if I could. I spent a good bit of time working on grip and need to remember that it is easy to get lazy with the Open gun. I also worked on table draws and wide target sweeps by going back and forth to targets of other people’s (That I didn't shoot of course) to mine. Did every drill from 3 feet to 50. Bill Drill's and group shooting rounded everything out.

Its gonna be great that in only a few days I'll be hanging with friends, meeting new ones and beating them. haha :devil:

It’s a little interesting that the range is one of the places that I feel really good at.

I have goals for 2008 and for me the best and most exciting feeling is that I know what it takes to achieve them. I just need to execute. I do know that the honor of being able to compete is a blessing and I respect and appreciate my competition, win or lose. I will do my best because it is what I have.

See ya at the range. :D

I do know that the honor of being able to compete is a blessing and I respect and appreciate my competition, win or lose. I will do my best because it is what I have.

See ya at the range. :D

I really like that. A very positive note to finish your first diary post on. Good luck in '08!!

I have goals for 2008 and for me the best and most exciting feeling is that I know what it takes to achieve them. I just need to execute. I do know that the honor of being able to compete is a blessing and I respect and appreciate my competition, win or lose.

- Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.

Sounds great Bill. Sounds like you are ready to win. :cheers:

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

• 1 month later...

Well I started off the first few club season matches with a jam-o-matic gun but after replacing broken extractor and cracked FP stop, the gun is ready to go. I am ready to go too. I am very pleased with my shooting. I am attacking stages with gusto and shooting high points. I feel like Rudy Ruettigar. I have been training my whole life for this.

Had to go to dreaded indoor range this weekend because of the COLD but tomorrow its 400+ rds OUTDOOR tomorrow baby in 65 degrees!! I can almost taste it. Very busy day at work but I can be at range before 6. Plenty of time. Going to sight gun in, relax, get tuned into the gun, strong/weak hand shooting and a little movement drills.

I feel calm and confident. I know that I have all the skills necessary to win.

Can't wait for the fellowship and competition this weekend at Area 6. I hope that I and my competition shoot their best with no gun malfunctions or non-shooting problems.

May the better man or woman that day, win. I am counting on it.

Ready to Go

• 1 year later...

2009 was kind of a write off. Surgery then recovery and no money/ammo.

Shot club match Sat and it was very satisfying. I haven't shot a match in like five+ months and usually don't dryfire or practice in the winter. I also laid off of physicial workouts cause I am pretty sure I was interfearing with my healing after surgery, by stressing it with lifting/biking/etc.

Highlights were shooting one big stage with only one C and pretty much shooting without any major problems or "stiffness" I was drawing sub 1.2's with the same type reloads.Splits were a little slower than normal but transistions were right on. Position set-up was pretty good and I was calling my shots. I had a no shoot but it was also a scoring A, I feel it was not too much of an issue. I also experimented with a almost full running shot at a target and hit it fine. Got a little tired at the end but that's expected.

Had to fend off a charge by another M but I usually like that kind of stuff.

Its great to be 85-90% healed and looking forward to wins in 2010.

• 2 years later...

Ok shot my first real match of the year in sunny southern CA. It was 90 by afternoon and sunny so I can't complain

My match was clean and I think around 5 D's. It was not the kind of match I expected in Norco with the reputation I have heard about over the years but Jojo was out of town. It reminded me of the Nationals. Lot's of start/stop and hard cover.

I shot good but not great. Had a little trouble getting into race mode because I was on phone trying to help my brother and his family to find the range(great to see them), was videoing and all of our RO's were a little quick on the buzzer. Oh well distractions are part of the game and sometimes good is good enough to win.

I am part of a great new team(with some real sponsorship, goals and resources) and our team as well as individual plans are incredible.

Already so far this year I get to do one of my life goals and teach CCW and then of course I'll help take some of the students from the CCW classes start them in USPSA then develop and train them to meet their goals.

I have also started a physical workout program that targets improving specific shooting skills and I see Major improvements already. Last night we did our first team dry fire workout and if I told you what happened you wouldn't believe it.

Let's just say never limit anybody or yourself.

Edited by BSeevers

Shot Silver Creek, had two malfunctions because of lack of mag maintenance and a "click" because of pushing it instead of shooting my natural speed. But I won HOA.

I shot with the correct mindset and after looking at the video I see that my physical and shooting training is really paying off, in fact a shooter from another town that ROs me on a regular basis, and I believe doesn't know what my training regime is, mentioned my fast starts and stops. I already know that I am as physically fast as I have ever been, funny I used to be known for it in my 20's/30's. There is a lot more there to develop. Beating 20 yr olds when you qualify for AARP is kinda fun. Wait until I take their girlfriends.

I did improve quite a bit since last match but need at least 10% more to reach an initial goal. It's there and helping my team actually makes it easier although it is getting pretty busy. The next four nights are booked.

The best thing is I have much more training scheduled and hopefully finally have some regular live fire practice. Come on Ohio, groundhog didn't see his shadow.

Skipped the local and feel good about it since it was 32 and wet. I like the sport to be fun.

No workout yesterday since I picked up a cold but gonna dryfire tonight. This weather is frustrating since I would be shooting 500 rds a week if it wasn't 34 and snow all week. Global Warming? Right Al.

Speak of frustrating I really enjoy teaching people but I see the same problems in development over and over and can't do anything about it since the human equation is involved. Ego, other noise and past successes or abilities can often keep us off the correct path.

If I could teleport people into my head or the future I would. This sport is tricky because the real crazy thing is you need to take the human equation out of it and it is about mastering gross and fine motor skills together.

I think it is kinda like playing the violin while running a sprint foot race, without trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good club matches, 1st place loser on one (98%), although I was fairly ill, and HOA on next weeks match. That felt good since that club both allows reshoots with same gun and it also counts them. I shot it once.

Workouts on schedule and live fire practice maybe starting as the arctic tundra of OH might be going away, might be.

Looking at my video, yes video thanks to a friend, I see some very positive results of my work and opportunities for improvement. I haven't had any regular video of my shooting for at least a decade. I remember taking a hugh VHS camera on a tripod at matches. It belonged to a friend, fellow M and he is passed. Now my phone takes better and easier video.

Friends come and go in this sport but I proud that so many of mine are shooters.

Two workouts, dryfire sessions and at least one live fire before the weekend.

Hi Chris

Glad I can help.

Well two club matches on the docket this weekend. Got all my scheduled practice in and even adding another live fire session today. It is great to have the resources to shoot like I know that I can. Now its time to do it.

I am working on shooting on the move with more movement. Only had 12 C's at last match so I think this might be an area of gain. It's always a yin vs yang thing and calling the shot is still the key but Open at a high level needs a little of that aggressive hair on fire approach. Most people take that last statement as miss em fast. Oh well.

• 1 month later...

Won some HOA at clubs since my last entry and also had poor finishes because of a couple equipment issues and a couple shooting issues but most of my emphasis is on the next three majors that I have scheduled over the next month. I am training and healing on schedule for an outstanding performance.

The gun is starting to feel like an extension of me. Haven't had that in a while. I am also working out at least 3 times a week and physically I am as fast as I have ever been. That is saying a lot because I started this game 25 years ago. I haven't been dryfiring as much to protect the elbow but the treatment and brace have helped so much I will start back tonight.

• 1 month later...

Ok didn't place in one state and second in the next. That is

A good feeling since its been a while since I have placed in a major

My injuries are healing up well and I can actually feel the mobility and flexibility

of the old days coming back.

My shooting gets better every day and my movement is as fast as ever. I'm talking 20 something.

I fell off the workout wagon but will start back next week. Club match them Area 5 next weekend.

I know that I can win. I will by execution, focus and determination.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I didn't win but 6th overall at an Area is ok by me. 2nd was just no errors away. I struggled a little getting started at the match but feel like mycurrent skills progression is right on schedule. 14 stages in one day is pretty silly and I won't do that again.

Took a week off because of a new job but workout and practice starts back tomorrow.

I continue to have some pretty strange performances and malfunctions at clubs and thats ok with me since I haven't had equipment problems at majors. Well I mean at the major. Had my sear nose break off the week of Area 5. Never see that before. My great pistolsmith saved the day. Well I had to overnight a $40 sear for like $40. Oh well.

Next one is around 3-4 weeks away. I will win that one with execution, focus and determination. I have had some amazing fast and fluid stages in the last few weeks. It's time.

Back to workout and practice.

Had a great compliment today. One of my students got up-classed because of major

match performance. That is way cool because I think it shows more real match abilities than the task of

stand, shoot six, reload and shoot six.