Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to the Sport

vmiguy2011

I just found out about this sport about a week ago and watch a bunch of you tube videos as well as read up on it. any way with in the last week ive become highly interessed. i am currently in college at VMI but lived in Roanoke VA. i was just wondering if i could get any inside tips, started info, gun suggestions, interesting stories, ect. just any info that can help me get started is much appreciated.

Welcome!

Your best bet is to go to www.uspsa.org and take a look at the intro video and information they have...."How do I get started" is a great area.

Once you've done that, take a look at the club finder and see which clubs are in your area. Contact the person listed for one of the clubs (some have websites too) and tell them that you're interested in the sport and they'll have plenty of advice and help to offer. Most clubs have some sort or program to introduce new shooters. Don't worry about buying anything (guns/holsters/etc) until you've read a bunch and talked with people who actually shoot the sport. Generally speaking, don't listen to anything you're told in a gunshop....they simply don't know what works and what doesn't. It's a good bet that someone will be more than happy to walk you through a match and even set you up with a gun, holster, mags and ammo (really common) so that you can show up and have a good time. Have fun! R,

Welcome to our sport. Please be advised that it can be very addictive. It is also a sport that is not easy (for me anyway) to master. I see a lot of people get discouraged because they can't understand why they are unable to shoot with the big dawgs right off the bat. Be patient and practice and it will come. Welcome again! :cheers:

Welcome, I got hooked 25+ years ago (I'm 61). I suggest you check out Shooting USA and Down Range .TV on the internet and Outdoor Channel also if you get it. Both are very informative and show competitions and have tips. Besides USPSA also check out IDPA website (both have club finders so you can check out your area). I shoot and enjoy both. After a while pick one or both and go with it. Oh yea, a lot of good info is to be found here. Ask questions and watch then take the plunge. Last I heard there was a big USPSA club in Alexandria (not sure where that is compared to you). They held the USPSA Nationals several years ago.

Edited by chirpy

Read all of the back posts on the subject here. That will inform and keep you busy.

This is an expensive sport for a college kid.

Its the shooter not the equipment.

Aiming and trigger control are learned skills.

Winning your class take more than just showing up.

This is a fun sport and not a way to make money or prizes for your livelyhood.

Its the shooter not the equipment.

Pick one and practice.

If you want to excel everything is right there to help.

Its a volunteer sport you are expected to help setup/tear down/paste/reset/RO.

Oh yea, Its the shooter not the equipment

From one Newbie to another. Listen to the guys on here they know their stuff. Especially Bart and Flex. I just purchased my first handgun 2 weeks ago and am really enjoying shooting. I am shooting in an action shoot at the local range I shoot at tomorrow night and I plan on shooting with my local club in Area 8 this year. But the best tip that I could ever give someone is to have fun and enjoy yourself bc when that happens it doesn't matter if u shoot bad or shoot the run of ur life if ur having fun u'll keep on doing it.

Ruger_Newbie

:cheers: