Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Konus spotting scope

GIO

Killer deal. I got my Konus through JarHeadTop.com (http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm).

If the conditions are right you can see .22 holes at 200yds. I give it a 50/50 chance of conditions being good enough. Mirages, shadows, sun angle, target color, etc, can all make it difficult to see your shots. At 150yds and closer it works fine. A $900 Kowa might do a better job but for what I use a spotting scope for it does the job just fine.

Played with a couple at the SHOT show and was very impressed with the quality "for the money".

It doesn't have the glass or features of many higher end scopes but you could buy 5.

Received one from my wife for my birthday last week. Looked at the ducks on the Niagara River for a while yesterday. Nice scope for a low price. I did however use my daughter's Bogen pro tripod which is a big (and heavy) improvement over the little tabletop tripod that comes with the scope.

I'm looking forward to taking it out on the range.

Glad you thought it was a good deal RAZZ. I have been watching them for awhile and had to pull the trigger at that price. Tired of walking down range or dealing with those "spectator spotters" yelling "high" "low" "left" "right" when I know they can't see s**t.

GIO

Very tempting.

Thanks to GIO for alerting us.

Side question: Does anyone else find the eye relief lacking on spotting scopes? I always seem to have to remove my shooting glasses to get close enough to the eypiece. Or maybe it is just me and the Leupold spotting that I use?

ETA: I may have answered my own question. I read the link above from jarheadtop.com and it seems some (top end?) scopes come with eyepieces that feature extra eye relief. This particular Konus doesn't.

Edited by Leozinho

Very tempting.

Side question: Does anyone else find the eye relief lacking on spotting scopes? I always seem to have to remove my shooting glasses to get close enough to the eypiece. Or maybe it is just me and the Leupold spotting that I use?

ETA: I may have answered my own question. I read the link above from jarheadtop.com and it seems some (top end?) scopes come with eyepieces that feature extra eye relief. This particular Konus doesn't.

That's why you see so many Kowa's on the line at Highpower matches.

That Burris looks like a good deal as well. I received my Konus yesterday and I am happy with it as well as the quick service from opticsplanet. Took the scope out to the yard and spotted some birds, etc and it is very bright and clear. I will bring it to the range today and kick back a report. This forum has saved me plenty of money by taking the advice of real shooters so i am glad I can contribute.

GIO

• 2 weeks later...
Very tempting.

That's why you see so many Kowa's on the line at Highpower matches.

+1

the fixed 27X eyepeice has great eye relief. Full FOV w/ Glasses on.

TSN-820 2nd best purchase I've made.

• 10 months later...

I just received my (our) Konus Spotting Scope yesterday. I say ours as my daughter (12) has started to shoot smallbore and since WE need a scope, I figured I'd get one that worked for both of us. We got the 100mm and a 1" pole stand.

At lowest setting, a 50' target and .22 holes is better than holding the target in your hand!

Sunday I may get to see what happens at 300 yards.

Now I need to build a box to hold the scope and the stand.

Anyone know where to get an extra small cloth shooting coat?

Jim

I just received my (our) Konus Spotting Scope yesterday. I say ours as my daughter (12) has started to shoot smallbore and since WE need a scope, I figured I'd get one that worked for both of us. We got the 100mm and a 1" pole stand.

At lowest setting, a 50' target and .22 holes is better than holding the target in your hand!

Sunday I may get to see what happens at 300 yards.

Now I need to build a box to hold the scope and the stand.

Anyone know where to get an extra small cloth shooting coat?

Jim

Jim,

Try Creedmoor Sports. They have coats listed as Junior sizing. You'll be best off calling and talking to them about it. They're really good with shooting coats.