Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pact Mk Iv Championship Timer

mark123

Hi everyone.

I am looking to pick up a nice chrony and it was suggested to me that I get the Pact MK IV Championship Timer with the chrony module. Is this the one for me or should I look for a dedicated chronograph sans the timer? Does this have everything I need or will I be disappointed?

Thanks. :)

I have had no problems whatsoever with mine. The only complaint I have is that the belt clip on the timer electronics box is hard to slip over a belt one handed.

I like that the electronics are in a remote box that uses cables to connect to the sensors. If I shoot the sucker, I am only damaging a cheap set of replaceable parts.

Here are a coupla' links to some more discussion on this product, as there are always more than two sides to any issue ;~)

Chrono Discussion 1

Chrono Discussion 2

Regards.

I love the Mark IV for chronographing loads. I especially appreciate the IR printing feature, because I already owned a compatible printer. Now I've got instant documentation - no fussing around with writing stuff in books before it gets lost. It's just great.

I have had a pact IV for a number of years and have been mostly happy with it. At a recent three gun match it's ability to handle par times over 99.9 seconds came in handy. It seems some of the more compact timers can't handle this. The only problem I have is that the keypad to circuit bourd contact points need to be cleaned periodicaly to keep it working. Do the newer ones still have this direct to circuit board keypad design? The size seems to be based on holding a circuit board with large dip packaging and lots of discrete components. Does anyone know if the elctronics have been updated? Modern electronics should be able to do the same thing in a much smaller package.

Louis

The only problem I have is that the keypad to circuit bourd contact points need to be cleaned periodicaly to keep it working. Do the newer ones still have this direct to circuit board keypad design?

I'll bet yours has the same keypad as is currently shipped. Oxidation and contamination of contacts are peculiar to elastomer (rubber) keypads. They typically have vents to outside air in order to prevent the buttons from sticking down due to vacuum (sans vents, the keys will act like suction cups). Keeping your timer shielded from moisture and contaminants will help this situation somewhat. There are ways to redesign the keypad to help this issue, but I'm guessing the Pact IV is the slowest selling model (due to price) and consequently is the least likely to be re-engineered anytime soon.

DBChaffin sent me his thoughts on his MKIV the other day. They seem appropriate here.

"I'd be happy to give you a few of my thoughts on timers. I have the

Pact MkIV which is expensive ($200) but offers a LOT of features. It

is a little big and bulky, a little complicated to use (especially for

some of the added features), and has a high pitched beep rather than

the buzz most of the other timers use, but other than the cost those

are the only drawbacks that I know of. For only $25 more you can get

the chrono rail and have a chronograph. Chronographs usually cost

$70-300 by themselves depending on brand and model and its nice to

have although not mandatory by any means. You can even add an

infrared printer for the MkIV along the way to print out times and

chrono readings (definitely not needed but nice). I have been happy

with mine. www.brianenos.com has about as good of deal as anyone I

think."

I'm very Happy with mine although the belt clip sucks and it eats the 9v btry's fast {used as a chrono}. THe AC adapter from Radio Shack PACT rec's. is cheap and good however.

My BIG gripe is the non-availability of the HP printer. PACT seemed unconcerned about finding a replacment for it last fall when I called. {They were still out there but everybody wanted high retail for them} Also the soft cords for the chrono seem not as duarable as they might be.

As their op. manual states they've built in lots of memory for future upgrades, with their guarantee that does hold strong position in my book.