Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dove loads

stonemason

Guest Dick W Holliday

At 1400 w/ 7 1/2 ...hell that would kill an elephant....one thing about it your dental work would be safe....cause your bird would not have any shot in it...they would pass right through the poor critter....and your dog would not even break a sweat (if you got one).....if you want to load such a load email me tomorrow anf i'll get you one out whichever manual u want....u've had too many drinks right now to even be posting but if yu want hispeed loads i gottem........Dick

PS how much shot ?????

Hey Dick,

What have you been drinking. I can buy 7 1/2's right off the shelf at 1300 fps. I'll assume that this web site is not full of jerks like you and that you the minority. Just wanted some advice. You should have read more carefully, 7 1/2 referred to shot size not charge. As for the rest of you, thanks for the post's.

Guest Dick W Holliday

Hey----I resemble that remark....anyway,  since you didn't mention the gauge or amount of shot you're using i'm going to guess 12 Ga and give you a few loads for various weights.....

All these are for AA hulls

7/8oz WAAL grey wad 22 gr Alliant American Select  1400 fps

1 1/8oz  WAA12 wad 30 gr Win  WSF powder  1400fps

Good shoot'n ......D I C K

Almost forgot......Sunday afternoon drink of choice....Evan Williams on the rocks.......D I C K

IN 12ga. LONGSHOT (Hodgdon) is my powder of choice, 1585 fps at max load with 1 1/8 oz. shot. Check Hodgdon's website for data. Seems like 1 1/8 loads start about 1400 fps, if I remember right. Its got a muzzle flash from short bbl. but not so much from 28 in. I use the recipe for rem. hulls, windjammer wad, and win. primers. Works well.            Travis F.                                         PS: NEVER substitute components in shotshell loads.

(Edited by TBF at 9:10 am on Feb. 18, 2003)

(Edited by TBF at 9:11 am on Feb. 18, 2003)

• 5 years later...
IN 12ga. LONGSHOT (Hodgdon) is my powder of choice, 1585 fps at max load with 1 1/8 oz. shot. Check Hodgdon's website for data. Seems like 1 1/8 loads start about 1400 fps, if I remember right. Its got a muzzle flash from short bbl. but not so much from 28 in. I use the recipe for rem. hulls, windjammer wad, and win. primers. Works well. Travis F. PS: NEVER substitute components in shotshell loads.

(Edited by TBF at 9:10 am on Feb. 18, 2003)

(Edited by TBF at 9:11 am on Feb. 18, 2003)

jhkhj

That is definately overkill on doves. Use Rem or Win Target loads 1 1/8 oz shot at 1200 FPS. There are plenty of published load recipies on all of the powder manufacturers web sites for a load in that range.

• 1 month later...

Winchester used to have load data that would push 1 1/8 ounces of whatever shot you wanted to 1400 fps. 35 gr of WW 540 in a AA hull and WAA12 wads. If HS6 is the same, I'd say it would be comparable. The only issue is if you still have any old style AA hulls.

Otherwise Longshot would be the one. Personally I don't feel handicapped using 3 1/4 dram - 1 ounce - 7.5's for Dove. That load is moving near 1300 fps. 1400 fps or more is really not needed and I don't much care for the added recoil even from a semi-auto action.

I hunt Dove with a .410. My load pushes a 1/2 oz. load of #9's out at regular 12 ga. velocities, 1,250 or something like that. As long as they are flying then I get my limit every time I go out.

Neal in AZ

I have hunted dove for decades. There is no reason to use that kind of velocity. My favorite load is 1 1/4 oz of 7 1/2 at 1,150 - 1,200 fps. Yep, I like to toss a lot of shot. I can use a I/C choke to beyond 40 yds - big pattern. If I don't get my limit with a single box of shells then I am just "Sky Busting". 75% of the folks on any given dove field take shots at birds that are too far away.

75% of the folks on any given dove field take shots at birds that are too far away.

Well, when you only see a few.. you takes what you can gets.. ;)

I managed to get 8 opening morning and dropped a couple into impenetrable uncut Alfalfa.. :( Even the Dog couldn't find em.

Edited by sargenv

75% of the folks on any given dove field take shots at birds that are too far away.

Well, when you only see a few.. you takes what you can gets.. ;)

I managed to get 8 opening morning and dropped a couple into impenetrable uncut Alfalfa.. :( Even the Dog couldn't find em.

When's dinner ? :) I'll bring the wine.