Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airport Delays

splashdown

I can't think of anyone else to complain to except my friends on BE. I was supposed to fly out today and due to our overnight snowstorm, I'm stuck at my Dad's house until Wednesday. Three more days than I bargained for. I'd much rather be at work this week in that lovely Seattle traffic.

My wife sat in the airport for over 5 hours yesterday in DC...Just because an engine fell off one of AirTran's planes.... :blink:

That's it.....only because an engine fell off.......Red from Black Sheep Squadron could've fixed it with chewing gum and bailing string.

I feel your pain, of the many, many travel stories I have the biggest PIA I ever had was sitting on a 50 regional jet on the tarmac at Merlin's home town airport for about 7 hours. The flight was supposed to be non-stop from Pittsburgh to Houston but Houston was having some major thunder boomers so they divert our flight and about 10 or so others to Corpus Christi.

Canceled flights always suck but even more so when you're trying to get home.

I feel your pain a couple of weeks ago I thought I was going to get delayed overnight in Chicago with a firearm checked in my luggage. I was thinking this could go badly for me, I've heard of issues for travelers going through IL and NY in this situation. We got lucky and were able to jump airlines and avoid the whole mess.

Oh, I could tell a lot of horror stories. My dad worked for TWA for 30 years and I've been on a few hundred flights as a standby passenger. I've been in two planes that had problems midair and had to land at the nearest airport. I've sat on the tarmac for several hours several times. I've gotten on a plane at the last minute, got all situated, then been called to get off because the paying passenger finally showed up. I've sat in STL for 9 hours several times just trying to get to KC. It's sad when I knew Lambert C and D terminal like the back of my hand by age 13. That really sucks because now, as an adult, I realize that you can drive from STL to KC and back in 9 hours.

This trip was for my brother's wedding. I brought my 3-year-old son and my wife stayed home. What could go wrong? It's only a 4-day trip, right? Well, now it's more like 7 and I'm burning all my vacation time. Plus, I can only take so much of my parents and family. That's why I moved 2000 miles away. We'll get through it somehow.

A friend of mine who passed away about 20 years ago and had been a A&P, CFI, FBO Operatior, Engineer for McDonnell-Douglas and there had helped design the hot section of the F-4 and the Mercury Space Capsule Monkey Toilet* use to say:

Time to Spare? Go by Air!

Later,

Chuck

*There are some design issues for a zero-g toilet for the non-skilled operator. My friend said that after about 6 months of meetings, memos, and design reviews the monkey decided it would be eaiser to hold it...