Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skinny on E3

pskys2

I've seen several refrences to E3, but no load data yet.

Anyone have any data for a .40 S&W? I'm loading 185 Laser LRN and 180 Berry PRN to 1.170 OAL.

Starting with 3.7 of E3 in new Starline Brass with F100 Primers.

Planning on Chrono'ing tonight.

I've seen several refrences to E3, but no load data yet.

Anyone have any data for a .40 S&W? I'm loading 185 Laser LRN and 180 Berry PRN to 1.170 OAL.

Starting with 3.7 of E3 in new Starline Brass with F100 Primers.

Planning on Chrono'ing tonight.

I just started playing with E3 as well. I tested out 3.9 and 4.25 grains this past weekend. 180 bear creek moly coated loaded to 1.2 OAL. STI Edge.

The 3.9 Grains came out to right at 915 FPS (165 PF) and 4.25 came out at 970 FPS (175PF). these are ten shot averages.

Temp was about 50 Degrees

Dave. FWIW.......I tried some when the thread popped up about it being the next Wunderpowdr.......The smoke seemed less but I couldnt get it to group worth a crap at 18yds indoors......I tried 2 batches, and proably need to try it again.

I just tried Solo 1000, and have pretty much decided I will never be without this powder again.......

Good luck with your tests....

DougC

Chrono'ed some on 10 Feb., temp: 50 degrees, elev: 2900, SV "dot tracker AET barrel. 4.3 grains E3, WW once fired case, CCI SP, MG 180 FN, 1.185 COAL. Ten shots, extreme spread: 17, Avg Vel: 938, standard deviation: 05, power factor: 168.9.

I sight my iron-sighted pistols at 17 yards offhand. I was able to keep ten rounds in the upper A box slowfire. Works for me!

A starting point for E3 is to use Red Dot data then use about 10% less powder charge by weight. Red Dot and E3 are the same burn speed powder but E3 is 10% denser. Here is my load:

Mixed brass

Precision 185 gr bullet

loaded to 1.170 long

3.9 gr E3

Here is my crono and more info on E3

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52071

Edited by 3GunF1Guy

A bit of an update.

3.55 grains of E3 with a Laser Cast 185 LRNSWC, F100, 1.170 OAL, .419 crimp gave 932 f/s (914-945) with mixed brass and 934 f/s (924-940) with new Starline brass.

3.95 E3 with a Berry 180 Plated RN gave only 913 f/s.

I noticed the big difference between bullets with titegroup also, double checked everything:

185 LRNSWC 3.9 Tite for 931 f/s, 180 PRN 4.8 Tite for 940 f/s.

It's only 33 deg. here and the winds blowing pretty good, I really don't notice a "Lot" of difference in the smoke between the 2 powders, yet.

The 3.55 E3 loads (either brass) and the 3.9 Titegroup loads both with the 185 LRN are super accurate and hit at virtually the same POI at 25 yards.

I loaded up to 3.95 E3 with the 185 LRN in new Starline brass for 986 f/s and had some primer shearing, so the pressure were getting too high.

Final notes:

In a 5" .40 S&W with a Scheuman MG Barrel using the Lasercast 185 LRN and 3.5 E3 gave 930+f/s.

Accuracy is good at 25 yds. Standing unsupported 2" groups.

Hits to same point, and the same velocity, as 3.9 Titegroup. Accuracy was virtually the same.

Big note: E3 was smokier than Titegroup in both conditions I tested.

1st was 28 deg and cloudy, last was 45 deg and sunny. I noticed considerably more smoking, and a deeper blue also, with E3.

I doubt if I'll be using anymore E3, except maybe for local outdoor matches.

I have not had a chance to use a chrono on my loads yet so keep this in mind.

I got quite a bit of smoke from the last of my Precision coated bullets too running 3.9 gr loads of E3 at 1.17" OAL.

However, E3 runs very clean in my jacketed loads. I was loading 3.9 gr at 1.17" OAL with a Precision Delta 180 gr jacketed bullet with exposed lead base. However, that load is not running very accurate out of my gun. I bumped the load up to 4.3 gr of E3 with the same jacketed bullet and same OAL resulting in better accuracy for me out of my gun with a factory STI bull barrel. So far no signs of over pressure.

I need to get out with a buddy to chrono this load though.

Chris

Chris, I just got a new CED if you want to chrono at MCRC some day.
I have not had a chance to use a chrono on my loads yet so keep this in mind.

Thanks for the offer Josh. I've been trying to get outside to do something but have been sick for a solid month now. I think this weekend is supposed to be good weather. Were you going to be out there any time Saturday?

Chris

I chrono'd my load of 4.3 gr. E3 with a 180 gr Precision Delta jacketed bullet loaded to 1.17 OAL. With 10 rounds shot over the chrono I took the first 9 into three groups. The first group would make 168 PF, the second group made 164.8 PF and the last made 168 PF. No issues or signs of over pressure.

This weekend I am going to try 4.4 gr. and 4.6 gr of E3 to see if I can get a little more cushion.

The load is clean and accurate at 4.3 gr. We'll see what the other two loads do.

BTW, if we use Red Dot as a guide then the max load of E3 should be about 4.5 gr loaded to 1.125 according to the max for Red Dot in my Lee Reloading Manual. Loaded longer is should allow a little higher max load.

Chris

Went out last night and chrono'd a 180 Berry Plated RN with 4.3 E3, F100, 1.170 in New Starline cases.

Velocity was 960 f/s with a 172PF.

I can't get the accuracy I want with the Berry Plated Bullets no matter what powder I use. But this load was the most accurate I've tried with that bullet.

About 3" groups with flyers out to 5" at 25 yds. (probably my fault as the wind kept tearing up my eyes). At 50 yds. groups were about 6". All groups fired standing unsupported.

The 185 Laser LRN and 3.5 E3 give 930f/s-171PF and groups under 1 1/2" at 25 yds. With 50 yd. groups of 3". This load gave no uncalled flyers, if I do my part all shots go where they should. It doesn't seem to lead the barrel much, about the 1st Inch. But it does crud up the breech face a bit, like all lead loads.

As it warms up it doesn't seem to smoke any worse than Titegroup (actually had a day with 60+ degree weather, just the wind blowing a sustained 30+mph!).

Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend and I can get to a Match with it.