Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Muffs

bigtex84

Is it possible to get a decent pair for under $100? I would like the low profile ones but any will do as long as they do their job and are durable. If they dont last then I would rather save up and get a better pair, than pay for one that broke. thanks for the help.

Is it possible to get a decent pair for under $100?

No.

When my Berretta's broke from hard use (the plastic, not the electronics), I bought on-the-cheap until I could get a replacement. The Caldwells I bought were less than useless. They shut off when I spoke, then there is a long, long pause until the sound comes back on. That's the way most of the cheap ones operate. With Berretta, Browning, etc (they all look like they're made by the same company) at over $100, the operation is not noticable. Loud DBs are block and you never notice a difference in the level of the normal sounds.

Worth every penny of my $130 especially as an RO.

Edited by Steve J

I have owned just about every brand made. Here are the two that I have settled on as a "Best Buy".

http://www.lapolicegear.com/holeimspelea.html

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item...u=00077PA0600CS

I have both of these as well. The Radians crapped out on me a few months after I got them and I would get crackling noises that would alternate from side to side and then disappear. Fresh batteries didn't help so I bought the Howard Leights. The volume is not as loud as the Radians but they have been solid so far.

I got these : MSA Sordin Pro

Worth every Euro, or in your country every Dollar. Defenately more expensive then 100 Dollars, but you won't regret it. Sound filtering is electronic, so they only block/filter the loud noises and not the normal speech or other sounds.

Suprime%20Pro%20MSA%20Sordin.jpg

Worth every Euro, or in your country every Dollar. Defenately more expensive then 100 Dollars, but you won't regret it. Sound filtering is electronic, so they only block/filter the loud noises and not the normal speech or other sounds.

I agree. I've tried most of the cheaper ones and I would have spent less just getting the MSA Sordin in the first place.

I made the mistake of shooting in AZ where pretty much my whole squad had them on, and had to get a pair myself after trying them out.

Are the "gel" ear pieces recommended and worth the extra cost?

Thanks.

Bill

p.s. I see a group buy offering these for $205 + $6 S/H. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=4434

The gel ear pieces are definitely worth the extra money. A buddy of mine has the gel pieces and the feel pretty nice. Still have to buy them for mine.

Thanks for the heads up, do any retail chains carry these as I would like to try them on before I buy. I would like to see how they work with my rifles.