Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

US Snail "Priority Mail" service

Rob Boudrie

Sent a so-called "Priority Mail" package from MA to TX which was supposed to take 2 days - package tracking showed that it disappeared into the regional facility in TX for 12 days (on top of the 2 it took to get to the regional center). That's 14 days for supposedly "2-3 day" delivery.

I probably don't need to remind you that the USPS doesn't actually guarantee that 2-3 day time frame. It's more of a rough estimate.

But it should be within reason, shouldn't it ? :huh: 14 days is way too long when you are paying a premium price. Probably could have gotten there quicker to send it 1st class.

TX has always been the black hole of shipping for me. We've had family down there for awhile and anytime we ship something it takes forever, no matter which carrier we use.

But 14 days? That is just stupid.

Edited by Greg Bell

I don't track the package, that way I don't get wound up when I see that it doesn't work the way it is supposed to work :goof: Kidding aside, 2-3 days turns into 3-4 and I am OK with that, when it turns into 10+ I get a little warm too.

14 days is way too long when you are paying a premium price.

It was long enough (12 days, not 14 - I just checked) that I was starting to talk to the factory about fitting a couple of new slides into the work schedule :). It's bad enough when one gun it out for work, but this was slides from two different 1911s.

From experience, the USPS is the fastest and cheapest shipper when everything works out right on a shipment.

But, when there is an issue or delay, they are probably the worst because there is no ability to track a package and recover it.

My postal contacts tell me there are 3 black holes in their delivery system: Los Angelos, Chicago and New York. If a package gets waylaided in one of those 3 distribution centers, lord help it. We had 1 that took 12 days from Phoenix to LA a few months ago. No idea where it went, but it eventually arrived. And of course, the customer blamed us and we had to listen to the nasty phone calls. But, when the USPS gets it right on their standard shipping ( Priority Mail), there isn't anything faster. The others can't touch USPS for their 1 pound rate and speed of delivery.

We also had one in December going to Florida which made a stop in about 9 different cities before it finally arrived 14 days later.

All the shippers get no attention when a delivery works properly. If there is an issue, they appear in a thread like this.

Edited by Cactustactical

As a bulk mailer we get industry newsletters and a couple of the REALLY BIG mail houses always check, standard, first class and priority mail delivery times. Every year when they test mail priority mail it averages about 4-5 days with some pieces (about 5%) taking 2 weeks. The official delivery time from the post office is NONE! Only that Priority mail take Priority on a truck, airplane or other equipment over first class mail. In other words, It gets loaded on the truck first. Unless, and this is the slow down, there are first class pieces or standard mail pieces that have been in the DC for more than three days, then those get "priority" over the Priority and first class that just came in. So depending on how busy each DC is there can be some real slow downs. And all of this happens at each DC it goes to. It is way worse if the package is not automated and has to be sorted by hand. I have had trays of standard mail go from Utah to the east coast faster than you can believe because it is automated and will run on the automated postal sorters faster than the non automated pieces.

If it has to be there in a certain time then only with a guaranteed service does it have a chance, Think Fedex or UPS. But then I have stories about those also. Did you know that every December FedEx and UPS only guarantee their next day air service. The ground delivery's, Second day air and three day are not guaranteed. Then UPS and FedEx suspend ALL deliver guarantees about a week before Christmas.

Scott

As a bulk mailer we get industry newsletters and a couple of the REALLY BIG mail houses always check, standard, first class and priority mail delivery times. Every year when they test mail priority mail it averages about 4-5 days with some pieces (about 5%) taking 2 weeks. The official delivery time from the post office is NONE! Only that Priority mail take Priority on a truck, airplane or other equipment over first class mail. In other words, It gets loaded on the truck first. Unless, and this is the slow down, there are first class pieces or standard mail pieces that have been in the DC for more than three days, then those get "priority" over the Priority and first class that just came in. So depending on how busy each DC is there can be some real slow downs. And all of this happens at each DC it goes to. It is way worse if the package is not automated and has to be sorted by hand. I have had trays of standard mail go from Utah to the east coast faster than you can believe because it is automated and will run on the automated postal sorters faster than the non automated pieces.

If it has to be there in a certain time then only with a guaranteed service does it have a chance, Think Fedex or UPS. But then I have stories about those also. Did you know that every December FedEx and UPS only guarantee their next day air service. The ground delivery's, Second day air and three day are not guaranteed. Then UPS and FedEx suspend ALL deliver guarantees about a week before Christmas.

Scott

There are occasional problems these days, current 2 day times are averaging 92%. USPS is the only carrier who publishes the scores which are measured by an independent company (IBM). I don't think UPS would let someone cram 69 lbs of bullets in a "flat rate" box either. :)