Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Digital Scales

hicap30

I have been reloading for a year now and although I like my Redding scale, I would like something a little faster. With that said, what is everyones thoughts on the best Digital scale, would like to hear all opinions, thanks.

i have a lyman scale and just love it. it's quick, accurate, and pow der. dvc he he.

get one you will enjoy it. but watch out for the wind from the a.c. heating blowing on the scales. you could get a false reading.

good luck,

lynn jones

Also use a PACT BBK, works well. Cannot offer comparison to others as it's the only digital

I have used. Much faster than any beam scale. No possibility of misadjustment. Also has

capacity to weigh assembled ammo.

Travis F.

I've tried the Dillon and the Lyman and went back to my trusty RCBS 10-10. The digital's are too touchy and like Duane said crap out too often and believe it or not are not as accurate. The only advantage they have is when you want to just check a bunch of bullets or loaded rounds for big differences then they are a little faster.

I'm a big fan of my old Dillon digital. So much faster and easier than the old balance-beam, which translates to more weight checks. Also it's handy for setting up a powder measure-- Zero the scale on an empty primed case, throw some powder in it and set the case on the scale. Not right? Dump it out and try again.

No question that digitals are fast and convenient.

I once tested a Dillon digital with IMR 4064, though. As I recall, it took 13 pieces of powder to make the scale read another tenth (not sure of that number). So a given charge could vary by as much as 12 pieces, and read the same.

With my old Bonanza beamer, I can easily tell the difference between one piece light or heavy, and right on.

Anal? Sure. But I like to make my hunting ammo as perfect as I can make it, and for volume loading, as with pistol, I only use the scale a few times anyway, to set the measure.

My Bonanza will still be working perfectly 50 years from now, too. Not likely with a digital.

Retro Joe

I've used the older style Dillon digital scale for many years and love it. I've only "played with" both Pact scales, (who makes them for Blount/RCBS), so I can't speak from years of experience; but I have formulated some basic generalizations based on a little use and reliable input from others. Pact's Digital Precision definitely has the finest load sensor used on any commercial digital scale, and although I'd say it is definitely the most accurate scale, it may be a tad too sensitive in certain environments, like a lot of fluorescent lighting for example. In general, IPSC shooters may not need the precision the Digital Precision can offer, so the BBK II, for 99.95 including the power adapter on be.com, is an excellent choice. And it offers the advantage of using batteries instead of wall power, so it's not only more convenient but frees it from any "noise" that be on an electrical circuit.

I haven't used the newest Dillon scale, nor have I received any feedback from anyone on it, but my guess is if there name is on it it's probably rock-solid. But I do feel they've priced it a tad high, at 139.95, however.

be