Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have been oogleing guns lately. I as many of you know am currently a BHP shooter. What I want to know is what is your take on the pros and cons of the 1911 and 2011 platforms, wide guns vs. skinny? I sure like the way the skinny guns feel and see them all over the place for sale. But those wide bodies seem cool. Now that there is a division for those skinnies, seems awfully inviting to shoot SS.Also, whose do you prfer in the skinny and wide platform?

You answers and input are appreciated, JZ

I shot a SS gun for over 10 years = its what would now be called an OPEN 40 cal

In 1999 I got my first STI wide body gun :rolleyes: I like it allot I like the great Slide to frame fit, I like that I can put 29 rounds in it I like that when I do - do a reload it has a big hole to hit.

The very best thing is It Looks Cool ;)

They fit my mitts better and I prefer the added width to the grip. I like the added capacity and the big mawells don't hurt either! :D But I have always loved the classic lines of the single stack guns as well. I bought my first one when I was of legal age- 15 years ago. I started shooting competition with them as many people have. But there is just something to the feel and balance of a nice 2011.

Both great platforms, I guess it all depends on what division you want to shoot it. A single stack is not going to be competitive against the 20-round magazines. And you can't use 2011 in single stack. You also live in CA, so I think you chances of getting a new 2011 gun are next to none unless you go for a used one.

Homie.. SVI sells to us as does Barsto.. they may be a little more expensive than you'd pay, but no problem getting one.

Which is better is like asking..

"Which is better Baseball or Football"

A Wide-body can play in Limited and Limited 10, a Single Stack can play in Single Stack and Limited 10...

I like them both..

I absolutely, firmly, without a doubt, agree with the 'depends' comments.

I like the look of the traditional single stack and much prefer that to the wide body for personal defense.

For competition (unless you're talking SS Division), I much prefer the wide body. As noted, it's easier to reload due to the larger opening and you can do more with the chassis.

I absolutely, firmly, without a doubt, agree with the 'depends' comments.

I like the look of the traditional single stack and much prefer that to the wide body for personal defense.

For competition (unless you're talking SS Division), I much prefer the wide body. As noted, it's easier to reload due to the larger opening and you can do more with the chassis.

I would have to agree here- well said my man! ;)

It depends on whether you want to shoot SS or Limited.

I've shot a bunch of L-10 with a SS, but I developed a case of magazine envy and now prefer to concentrate on the shooting in Limited instead of constantly reloading. Nothing wrong with a lot of reloading, but I found myself wanting to shoot against the big dogs in Limited.

My wife enjoys shooting Limited (G35) much more than L-10 (Kimber SS) because she's still fairly new to shooting and only having to reload once lets her concentrate on the shooting. She had no complaints shooting L-10 with a SS, but once she shot my Limited Para with its 22 round mags, there was no going back to the SS.

SS/L-10 are a way to get into the sport for less money than Limited, so it's good for new shooters. $24 mags for my SS were nice when I first started.

After shooting Limited for a few years, the mag changes necessary in SS/L-10 give the experienced shooter an extra challenge. My "nice guy" opinion is I think the folks who switch to SS/L-10 from Limited/Open are simply bored(SS/L-10 is certainly different) or just want an excuse for a new gun/rig. In my actual experience, the few folks who make the switch "backwards" are looking for less competition because they are no longer competitive(if they ever were) in Open or Limited.

IMHO anyone who can afford it should go with a Limited gun. L-10 is always there if you love to reload.

How popular is, will be, SS at the clubs you shoot at? And does that matter to you?

As of last year, we might see a handful of folks shooting SS at any given match here in N. Texas. I could care less, because there is nothing more priceless in this sport (to me, anyway) than smacking around the Open shooters with my 1911. :cheers:

How popular is, will be, SS at the clubs you shoot at? And does that matter to you?

As of last year, we might see a handful of folks shooting SS at any given match here in N. Texas. I could care less, because there is nothing more priceless in this sport (to me, anyway) than smacking around the Open shooters with my 1911. :cheers:

:devil:

After shooting Limited for a few years, the mag changes necessary in SS/L-10 give the experienced shooter an extra challenge. My "nice guy" opinion is I think the folks who switch to SS/L-10 from Limited/Open are simply bored(SS/L-10 is certainly different) or just want an excuse for a new gun/rig. In my actual experience, the few folks who make the switch "backwards" are looking for less competition because they are no longer competitive(if they ever were) in Open or Limited.

IMHO anyone who can afford it should go with a Limited gun. L-10 is always there if you love to reload.

Yes, to some degree shooting the fat gun was getting boring - shoot 16-18, reload. shoot some more. Planning a stage in SS takes more mental effort, surely! For me, anyway.

I switched to shooting SS for the challenge - not because the level of competition was less or easier. And I generally hold my own against 95% of the local Open and Limited shooters with my SS gear so in my case, anway, it wasn't about making it easier.

A factor you left out was for me, shooting .40 with my 2011 was a sure ticket to tendonitis, usually within a week or two of picking the Limited gun back up. I can shoot .45 all day long, day after day, and my elbows don't complain. A few days of .40, however, and I know the soreness is right around the corner.

:cheers: