Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Freezing Rain

bountyhunter

This morning at 8:30, I checked the temp outside and it was 35 degrees and raining..... this is in the bay Area in sunny california. Snow levels are dropping to about 500 feet.

It's just sickening: the two week forecast is solid rain and temps about 20 degrees below normal. Our storms used to come in on the Pinapple Express (the jet stream across the Pacific) but now they all drop down from Alaska. rain used to mean mild temps.

A typical winter day used to be overnight lows in the mid 40's, daytime highs in the low 60's with warm sunshine. We peobably had 100 days a year like that (pretty nice)

For the last two months, we are seeing low 40's at 6PM and overnight lows in the low 30's and even some 20's. Most days are low 50's for highs.

This just sucks and it is probably going to get worse. This global climate change sure screwed us over.

Edited by bountyhunter

bountyhunter, just about EVERYONE in the country is at least "20 degrees below normal" right now (including us 'up here' in the Pacific Northwest). We're due for our precip' later in the week and it's hard to tell yet whether it'll be liquid or white-stuff. The cold snap (polite term for 'freaking miserable experience') is due to hang around for a few days, it seems. I--and everyone else--is not amused. :angry2:

Wait a minute, I thought it was global warming??

I'm so confused !!!

The average temp across the globe will rise slightly, but the effects on local climates is wild swings above and below normal. Right before Thanksgiving, we had weeks of summer weather (mid 70's) and I was outside frying a turkey in shortsleeves. A week later the temps had dropped 30 degrees and it has stayed there ever since.

bountyhunter, just about EVERYONE in the country is at least "20 degrees below normal" right now (including us 'up here' in the Pacific Northwest). We're due for our precip' later in the week and it's hard to tell yet whether it'll be liquid or white-stuff. The cold snap (polite term for 'freaking miserable experience') is due to hang around for a few days, it seems. I--and everyone else--is not amused. :angry2:

Yeah, but this "cold spell" has run two months down here and shows no sign of changing anytime soon.

When I opened my shop it was about 90 F. That was at 06:30! Today we will fry. The temperatures are still mild to what will be hitting us in February. Luckily I live in a coastal city(Port Elizabeth, South Africa) so things are not as bad as they get inland. Come on Winter, you can dress warmer but after you hit skin you cannot dress cooler.

When I opened my shop it was about 90 F. That was at 06:30! Today we will fry. The temperatures are still mild to what will be hitting us in February. Luckily I live in a coastal city(Port Elizabeth, South Africa) so things are not as bad as they get inland. Come on Winter, you can dress warmer but after you hit skin you cannot dress cooler.
Your climate is still not bad compared to some. Back in my days of building hardware for the military, they had specific temperature and humidity profiles we had to meet. The one called "HOT" was maybe 115F high, with relatively low humidity (sort of a desert profile). The one called "aggravated HOT" was highs of about 130F with humidity reaching maybe 80%. They said some parts of Africa and even the Middle east could hit that last profile. I don't know how a human could survive it.

Your climate is still not bad compared to some. Back in my days of building hardware for the military, they had specific temperature and humidity profiles we had to meet. The one called "HOT" was maybe 115F high, with relatively low humidity (sort of a desert profile). The one called "aggravated HOT" was highs of about 130F with humidity reaching maybe 80%. They said some parts of Africa and even the Middle east could hit that last profile. I don't know how a human could survive it.

128 degrees, 90% humidity... July 04, Al Udeid AB, Qatar. Was there, Felt that...

After some serious sanitizing (I removed *14* heavily politicized posts from this thread) I'm re-opening it so people can continue to complain about the weather.

Y'all (should) know the forum rules about politics by now, but if anyone missed them please review the Forum Guidelines conveniently located at the top of every page of the forums. Anyone wishing to argue about which evil entity or empire is responsible is encouraged to do so, but do it somewhere away from these forums.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...