Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire El Prez

Supermoto

I have been using steve anderson's book to try to keep sharp during the winter, But I always wonder if I am building bad habits.

so here is a quick video of a Dry fire El Prez, any tips, suggestions or if you just want to make fun of the faces I make while shooting, I liked to hear any of them and yes my hands are not high enough

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5...69276&hl=en

I have been using steve anderson's book to try to keep sharp during the winter, But I always wonder if I am building bad habits.

so here is a quick video of a Dry fire El Prez, any tips, suggestions or if you just want to make fun of the faces I make while shooting, I liked to hear any of them and yes my hands are not high enough

Nice reload!

As a big believer of dry fire practice and especially Steve Anderson's drills, I can only recommend follow up with live fire practice. I found that even though I thought I had some good sight pictures (all A's), live fire practice showed that was not the case. Now I still have a regimen of dry fire practice, but I also suppliment that with the same drills using an airsoft in the garage.

Keep up the good practice.

Bill

What was your par time on that? Really nice reload.

I couldn't slow the video down enough to tell, but it looked like you were only touching the trigger once per target or just getting one sight picture per target and moving....hard to tell at full speed. What I've started doing is keeping the hammer down and doing two soft trigger presses per target (on that drill) to work on keeping the dot in the A zone and make it as realistic as possible....just a thought. R,

What was your par time on that? Really nice reload.

I couldn't slow the video down enough to tell, but it looked like you were only touching the trigger once per target or just getting one sight picture per target and moving....hard to tell at full speed. What I've started doing is keeping the hammer down and doing two soft trigger presses per target (on that drill) to work on keeping the dot in the A zone and make it as realistic as possible....just a thought. R,

The par time was 3.5 sec, It was 2 shot per target, its on the ragged edge of as fast as I can transition and still be able to see the dot on the target, they definitely were not As, but I wanted to post a video that would have some sloppiness in it, figured I would get more out of it then a picture perfect one

Make sure you have good trigger releases between shots, otherwise you may develop a habit of pinning the trigger like me. Looks great though!

One of the issues I am trying to correct is slapping the trigger. I found when shooting, especially on steel, if I slapped the trigger I would be later on the break. I'm now trying to reset as little as possible. I doubt I am resetting far enough in dry fire but it seems to be helping in live practice

Edited by Supermoto

Looks great! The only thing I can think of, but just because you want feedback and that puts me in nitpicking mode, is that you don't really stop moving until you hit the reload. It seems like your body has quite some lateral movement after you engage the first target.

But again...that's just nitpicking, or as we say in Dutch... antf&cking...

Edited by spook

9276&hl=en[/url]

Looks great! The only thing I can think of, but just because you want feedback and that puts me in nitpicking mode, is that you don't really stop moving until you hit the reload. It seems like your body has quite some lateral movement after you engage the first target.

But again...that's just nitpicking, or as we say in Dutch... antf&cking...

Any feedback or nitpicking is appreciated. the more feedback the better.

Regarding the movement, If I wait for my left leg to get planted it seems to take forever, so I engage the targets while my left leg is still moving. If I stop my left leg then I end up standing goofy footed,

I am not sure what is the correct method, if there is one. Should I be planted and stable before I shoot or try to keep the movement smooth while shooting?

Thanks for everyones help so far

I am not sure what is the correct method, if there is one. Should I be planted and stable before I shoot or try to keep the movement smooth while shooting?

Per Steve Anderson (Book 1, Book 2, or his website, I don't remember where I got this from), his first shot on El Presidente is fired well before his left foot is planted. The sooner you plant that foot, the better, but not at the expense of delaying a shot. Shucks, if you can get off the first six shots, reload, and fire the last six shots before that left foot makes it all the way to the ground, that would be a smoking run.

Bill

One of the issues I am trying to correct is slapping the trigger.

Why?

For me it doesn't work when I am shooting steel, it threw my timing off, I tried it for a while but when I went back to resetting the trigger I was alot more accurate and just as fast.

you practice too much! you should take the winter off and relax. ;) nice reload, Mike.

+1

Looking good Mike!

Your starting to motivate me to start practicing again.

Say - I notice you don't dry fire with your glasses and hearing protection on - for those that dry fire on a regular basis - do you wear all your gear?

Also - what about the mags? do you install dummy rounds to get the loaded feel?

Paul

you practice too much! you should take the winter off and relax. ;) nice reload, Mike.

+1

Looking good Mike!

Your starting to motivate me to start practicing again.

Say - I notice you don't dry fire with your glasses and hearing protection on - for those that dry fire on a regular basis - do you wear all your gear?

Also - what about the mags? do you install dummy rounds to get the loaded feel?

Paul

I use dummy rounds in the mag. I found there to be a big difference between using them and not. I should wear my Rx glasses so that the dot is clear

• 2 weeks later...

Supermoto

It looked great but, to me, it seemed like you rushed from t3 to do the reload and probably would have had a miss in a live fire/match situation. The pause seemed noticably shorter than t1 and t2.

I also do not mean to offend.

BTW that reload was great.

Brian

Looks good- but if you can, get the turn done in one step. That will get you to a solid stance quicker, and eliminate the worry of whether you shooting before or after that other foot is hitting the ground. Just my .02 worth....

Supermoto

It looked great but, to me, it seemed like you rushed from t3 to do the reload and probably would have had a miss in a live fire/match situation. The pause seemed noticably shorter than t1 and t2.

I also do not mean to offend.

BTW that reload was great.

Brian

Yeah, if you slow down the original tape, My eyes are going to the magwell to early. Defiantly rushing things.

And don't worry, I wouldn't have posted a video if I got offended.

Looks good- but if you can, get the turn done in one step. That will get you to a solid stance quicker, and eliminate the worry of whether you shooting before or after that other foot is hitting the ground. Just my .02 worth....

I'll give it a try. I was watching Jake's El Pres and will try the way he turns his feet compare to how Steve Anderson does

Edited by Supermoto