Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A new way to screw up a stage :)

jrguar

I guess if you play this game long enough you see everything. Back in October I was shooting a local match with my Single Stack 45, having a decent enough day. I came to the last stage which had 3 targets requiring a draw 6 rounds each /reload 6 rounds each / reload 6 rounds each. Simple enough right. I get a nice draw 1 target 6 a's, nice reload, 2nd target 5a's 1c, nice reload, 3rd target 5 a's and the gun stopped (Fail to feed), I dupmed the mag pulled the slide back saw a round in the chamber, released the slide fired (pop) 1 c. .. The pop came from setting off a 40 in my 45 ....If anyone is interested I'll post a picture of the spent case... flattened primer with a hole in it, flattened the head of the case and balloned the case mouth...otherwise no damage to the gun.

What happened was I had a box of 40 ammo get spilled in my range bag and a few rounds got mixed in with my 45. I usually just grab a hand full of ammo and start stuffing mags....I use Chip McCormick 8 rounders and damned if they don't load 40's just fine...sooo I will be sure to double & triple check my match ammo :) and what I load into my mags ..

I guess if you play this game long enough you see everything. Back in October I was shooting a local match with my Single Stack 45, having a decent enough day. I came to the last stage which had 3 targets requiring a draw 6 rounds each /reload 6 rounds each / reload 6 rounds each. Simple enough right. I get a nice draw 1 target 6 a's, nice reload, 2nd target 5a's 1c, nice reload, 3rd target 5 a's and the gun stopped (Fail to feed), I dupmed the mag pulled the slide back saw a round in the chamber, released the slide fired (pop) 1 c. .. The pop came from setting off a 40 in my 45 ....If anyone is interested I'll post a picture of the spent case... flattened primer with a hole in it, flattened the head of the case and balloned the case mouth...otherwise no damage to the gun.

What happened was I had a box of 40 ammo get spilled in my range bag and a few rounds got mixed in with my 45. I usually just grab a hand full of ammo and start stuffing mags....I use Chip McCormick 8 rounders and damned if they don't load 40's just fine...sooo I will be sure to double & triple check my match ammo :) and what I load into my mags ..

This past Wed. I was running a guy at practice and same thing, bang, bang, bang, click, no pop, and I see a bullit

fall out the barrel, he racked the slide but I yelled STOP. Just had to check and see if I saw what I saw

Not that different I'm afraid. I was at a match in Angelina County and had a fellow shooter ka-boom his gun under just about those same circumstances. In the middle of a course of fire he had a fail-to-fire, and he naturally racked it and started again. Big badda boom! After much yelling of "stop! from everybody within 50 feet, the r.o. and I ease up to him as he is still holding it (Kimber SS .45) out at arms length like a live snake. Eject mag, slide is slightly out of battery but wont budge. Bushing is somewhere down range as well as the plug and recoil spring. Guide rod sticking out about 1/2 inch, adn the main thing is the dust cover is splayed open like a butterfly shrimp. Carefully look up into the 1.5" split in the bottom of the barrel and find a few pieces of a left over .40 S&W brass, just enough to ID it as what it is.

After some head scratching we figured he'd loaded a .40 in his mag, it was picked up by the breechface but failed to catch on the ejector and was instead just pushed down into the chamber, further pushed down the barrel by the next .45 being manually cycled behind it.

Count your blessings. :cheers:

This is one of the reasons that I wish there was a way to effectively color brass. Have a uniform standard and this sort of thing probably wouldn't happen. Of course there is my main reason which is so I know what brass I am picking up as I crawl around on my knees.

My day has been ruined by the 40 too...

I was DQ'd at a SC match. While trying to clear a jam, a 40 round detonated on the ejector of my limited exploding in the ejection port. I was stunned to say the least, but the gun was fine.

post-2054-1200362225.jpgpost-2054-1200362246.jpg

My day has been ruined by the 40 too...

I was DQ'd at a SC match. While trying to clear a jam, a 40 round detonated on the ejector of my limited exploding in the ejection port. I was stunned to say the least, but the gun was fine.

Excuse me for thread drifiting, but I thought detonations were not considered ADs and not ground for DQ?

Me too, so I put up $100.00 to arbitrate the call and lost. The official call was unsafe gun handling.

Sorry to hear that, I think the wrong called was made on that one, you can clearly see the make on the back of the case from ejector so it wasn't the firing pin.

• 3 weeks later...

During a Section match several years ago I had a 40 detonate while performing remedial action(to clear a jam), aside from some scrapnel in my left hand it was all good. The RO dq'd me, Match Director and Range Master after review told me and the RO it was not (Unsafe Gun Handeling or an AD) and offered to allow me to continue ( I was on the shaken up side and my left hand was VERY sore ) so I gracefully declined(and worked the rest of the match) . 30 days later I had to have a surgon remove a piece of brass from my index finger.

Just be Safe...

Edited by jrguar

• 3 months later...

Friend of mine has same brand 1911's in 9,40 and 45. From what I hear, after the load and make ready command is given a 9 mag will seat, and the bullet will go right out the end of the 45's barrel when the slide is cycled.

HEHE, it happens to us all...............

Tony

Neomet, the easiest solution is to use ammo boxes where the ammo is held headstamp end up. It doesn't take long to look through your ammo to spot anything out of the ordinary such as a high primer, missing primer, sideways primer, bullet that just simply shouldn't be there or the like. This is also when I mark my headstamps to make it easier to ID my brass from the brass of others. :)

Joe W.