Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S-I .45 question

1911vm

All I was ever able to get into my STI magazines w/Dawson base pads were 15 rounds. I was able to squeeze in a 16th round but the mag was absolutely unreloadable.

It is also worth mentioning that the mag tubes were tuned by Dawson.

Para's mag tube bodies are shaped different than S_I mags which allows them more space a the top. The S_I mags have a longer and gratual taper as opposed to the para mags that have a steep angle at he feed lips.

Ktyler

Then how can PARA fit 18 in the same size mag? Or am I being misled?

I have to explain I am looking at a nice para. I have limited knowledge on double stacks and specially Para's. I would like to purchase it but for me this would be a good size investment and I just want to make sure I understand what I am doing.

I have three Para mags, with Grams pads and followers, and all three hold 18 rounds. My gun and the mags have never been in the same place at the same time, but I bought the mags from a guy with a P-14, and I assume they worked in his gun. Another local shooter uses Dawson pads on his mags (don't know about the follower or springs), and they also hold 18.

I have 6 Para mags with Arredondo base pads that hold 16 plus about 7/8 of another. If I put an old Dawson +2 pad on then I can get 18, but it is so tight that I can't get the mag to seat in the gun. My mags even with the Dawson pad are within about 1/4 inch of touching on a magazines length gauge.

i run a para P14. with Dawson basepads they hold 18, and can seat some with the slide closed, a couple are a bit tight and would require an enthusiastic slam but will seat with 18. i usually start 18+1 and have the others at 17 for a quick reload. but i have been know to keep the others topped off at 18, though once i didn't seat one hard enough and ended up with a single shooter and a mag on the ground! so much for that stage score.