Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting through ports?

TannerB

Shooting through ports is just about an every match occurrence at USPSA matches and a lot of IDPA matches as well. Best learn the proper methods or you will suck hind tit when you run into a situation which requires you shoot through one..... and you will find this alot...

My thoughts.

Never touch or brace on the side of a port when shooting.

Don't stick your hands through the port unless you absolutely must.

If you can stand back a little from the port and engage the target. Do so.

What Merlin said, PLUS...

The reason you DON'T stick hands or gun THROUGH or INTO a port is it wastes time going in AND leaving by having to stick it in and then retrieve it to leave. What are you gaining, MAYBE 18 inches, NOT worth it.

And, you WON'T bang your hand, gun or anything else, PLUS, you are MORE likely to exit said shooting area WITH your front sight INTACT!!!!

YMMV :D

Edited by zhunter

I myself have lost a front sight that way. What I want to know though, is what about those drainage thingys. Is it he same? Sometimes you cannot see all of your array without sticking your arms and head into the tubes.

yeah ddont try to shoot through a port unless you have to because if your gun flips up and hits the port, you could lose a sight or really mess up the gun. Also if you are short, ( like me) you can actually shoot the port if you aren't careful. I had that happen to me.

I myself have lost a front sight that way. What I want to know though, is what about those drainage thingys. Is it he same? Sometimes you cannot see all of your array without sticking your arms and head into the tubes.

Sometimes you just have to get into the port to efficiently shoot the targets. Don't stay back so far that you only see one target, because having to move to see the next one is slow.

Treat the ports somewhat like shooting boxes. Know where you are going to see the first target, be on it, ready to shoot as you get there. If you can move through without coming to a stop, you can save a buttload of time, but you still have to get your points.

Sometimes you just have to get into the port to efficiently shoot the targets. Don't stay back so far that you only see one target, because having to move to see the next one is slow.
Yup, yup. Obviously the way a port is handled depends on the size of the port and the array on the other side. Anyone catch the GM tips edition in Frontsight with Taran Butler shooting through ports? Kind of changed my way of thinking...

..What I want to know though, is what about those drainage thingys. Is it he same? Sometimes you cannot see all of your array without sticking your arms and head into the tubes...

If you're talking about having your head in a tube in which you're popping caps, you have one evil stage designer. Great way of loosening your fillings, even w/ a minor production load. May the Lord have mercy on you if you need to do that with an open gun...

Seriously, even with tubes you're often better off shooting from outside the port. If you stick your gun and head into a tube, the sides compress your arms and limit the gun's lateral movement, making it hard to transition between wide targets. If your head is in the tube, with the gun out in front, then your shoulders wedge your head in the middle, making acquiring a decent sight picture to either side just about impossible. If you stay outside the tube, usually (not always, again depending on how sadistic the CRO was feeling at set up) you can aim on extreme left targets by sighting the gun diagonally across the front right edge of the port to the left rear edge, and vice versa on the opposite side.

That was evil, Thanks for the insight on porst and tubes. I really haven't put much thought into this but since this is my first official season in the sport, ( a member of USPSA) it is nice to get some insight into these things.

JimmyZip

JZ if you can, watch how the better shooters at your club do it. Also, if you get Outdoor Channel on cable join and watch Shooting USA. They will e-mail you the show schedule which includes USPSA Nationals and other cool matches and pro tips (can be viewed on their site).

One thing I learned by watching the better shooters at the Limited Nationals is try to shoot the target last that gets you headed to the next shooting box quickest ie don't be leaning away from your next direction of travel.