Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Barrel Length

Nate

I bought a used barrel for my 1100 and want to have it cut to the 22" requirment for some of the other (non USPSA) matches for limited. From where do I measure it? My gunsmith will put in any choke I want, but what do I want? I have to shoot slugs so is a full out? I am not a threat to win any three gun matches but I like the advantage my 26" barrel gives me in USPSA matches with the Wally world special ammo. It is very light shooting and will knock down steel easily at 15 yards. Do the top guys use the short barrel for its quickness and ease in ports? Thanks. Nate

I can't answer the "from where" question but my gunsmith chopped the barrel off for free since I was paying him to rethread it for chokes. Your smith probably knows where to measure from.

just a thought,

-ld

Hi Nate.

The measurement is from the face of a closed bolt, (as Intel pointed out). USPSA does not have a lenth rule for the barrel, only a max round count in the gun, (9 for limited, 11 for Open). International Multi Gun Association rules dictate the 22" max length of the barrel and the mag tube can be 1" longer then whatever length barrel you are running, (this will get you 9 rounds in the mag tube, at least in a Benelli). The shorter the overall gun, the better it is to move in and out of props.