Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight mod during match

sjz

Are modifications or changes to your sights OK after a match has started?

Suppose a match has a low or no light stage, can I take my front fiber optic sight off the gun and put a night sight on just for the low light stage. Then after I have completed the low light stage, put my fiber optic back on for the other stages?

is changing sights really feasible? you're going to remove a sight you know is zeroed, and you change them out to a set you have no idea where it'll hit. i'm sure you could use reference marks to get it close but...........

Well, the rules say you must shoot the same gun all the way through the match; I guess a bedroll lawyer could argue that changing the sights did not change the gun.

He would also have to argue that it was not an attempt to circumvent the rationale of the stage.

At a match where I was MD or a stage where I was SO, I would not allow it. Unless you wanted to change the sight blade on the clock.

As Nwb01 said, they were checking for this at Nationals. All guns were checked the stage before the low light stage to see what sights you had. The gun was then checked again before you actually shot the low light stage. Any differences resulted in a penalty. Not sure if it would have been a FTDR, DQ or what. Based on this I am guessing it is definately not allowed.

Not sure if it would have been a FTDR, DQ or what. Based on this I am guessing it is definately not allowed.

When we shot the dark stage at the Nats we were told it would be an FTDR. 20 seconds pretty well burns up any competitive advantage the sight change would gain. :P

I think that some had planned to just use a backup gun with night sights for the dark stage. Switching guns is addressed in the rule book and is not allowed unless the first gun breaks.

I have a spare slide for my SSP gun with night sites. It would have been possible to swap out slides before the low light stage, but I had installed TFO sights the month before the Nats so that would have been unnecessary. I did ask an RO at the low light stage about swapping slides, and he said absolutely not. I believe it would have been ok to swap slides because of a gun malfunctioned. Turns out that the stage was low light, not no-light and night sights weren't absolutely necessary.

ABSOLUTELY NOT !!!

They were actually checking this at IDPA Nationals this year. It was noted if you were using night sights or not. It would be nice though !!

Where they ever. They asked everyone on my squad, including Matthew Mink.

Definately a resounding NO!

Thanks for the rules clarification.

I was able to get some glow in the dark paint on my existing setup on both the front and rear sights. A quick charge from the tactical light before " Is the shooter ready" and I'm good to go.

The 2007 Arkansas Winter Classic had one third of its stages in full light. One third in pitch black darkness where a flashlight was required and one third in low light where you truely needed a flashlight but weren't allowed to use one. Without night sights the only time I saw my front sight was in my muzzle flash. That's when I tried to correct the alignment for the next shot. Oh, and did I mention the drab colored tshirts on the targets? Even though I hate dots on my sights of any kind, if I go back this February, I'll figure out a way to have night sights. <_<

Is that an IDPA equipment race? :surprise:

:rolleyes:

Where they ever. They asked everyone on my squad, including Matthew Mink.

Definately a resounding NO!

I think Matt shot the stage without a flash light !! Balls of steel as he put it !!

That's right.

Super large cojones.

Jim Watson wrote:

Well, the rules say you must shoot the same gun all the way through the match

I can't quite quote Bible... err I mean rule book chapter and verse right now, but you can switch guns, I think, as long as:

1. The same action type

2. The same caliber

And there might be some additional info tacked in the rulebook along the lines of MD discretion saying that it is okay to go from a gamier to a less gamey gun.

Start out shooting a match with a Glock 34. The 34 craps out on you. If you have a Glock 17, I think, most MD's will let you finish up the match with that.

Again, though, that is probably up to the MD's discretion as his/her interpretation of the rulebook. I may be wrong and YMMV.

Theoretically, you're not supposed to go from a Glock 35 (in .40) to a Glock 34 (in 9). Or go from a perceived to be less gamey Glock 17 to the gamier Glock 34.

If you start out shooting a Beretta 92 FS, you better have a Berett 92 FS as a backup.

Speaking of flashlights and equipment races, what about this flashlight from First Light USA:

firstlightUSA.jpg

If you have the OLN channel, they plug these just about every other commercial on Wednesday nights.

Their upper end model is going for $250. About half the price of a NIB Glock 17.

Would you all consider that an equipment race then?

(I know I probably opened a can of worms with that one. DOH!)

I CAN quote the rules. You may change guns only if the one you start with breaks down.

C 12. In any single contest, a shooter must use the same pistol

in all stages of the contest. If the pistol he started with becomes

unserviceable during the contest, he may use another pistol of

the same type, action, and caliber.

Night sights are only better than fiber optics in complete darkness or in extremely dark conditions. Even in a dark house, the fiber optics will pick up the light from your flashlight. Rob Leatham, a frequent nationals winner, says he ignores fiber optics under normal conditions, but when you need them, YOU REALLY NEED THEM.

So there is no point on quibbling over this ruling: just install fiber-optic sights and keep them on the whole time.

Richard