Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting with a empty revolver

earplug

In several USPSA matches, we have started with a empty revolver on a table on in a box.

While practising today, I found a possible good way to grab and load.

I use a 625. Moon clip on the right, revolver on the left, left side up. On the beep, slide the left hand across the revolver working the cylinder release with my thumb while curling my left hand fingers under the revolver to push the cylinder out, my right hand has picked up the moon clip and I load. Rest is as a standard left right reload.

Problem is missing the cylinder latch with my thumb while picking up the revolver. I rate my hand/fingers shorter then average.

I have tried picking up the revolver in my right hand and working the release and pushing the cylinder out with my right fingers. For my its not smooth or reliable

Anyone have a better way to handle the unloaded revolver stages?

I have clip on left, gun on right, cylinder latch side(left) down. Come straight down on gun with right hand gripping stock just like on the draw but index finger goes on cylinder and thumb on release. The left hand grabs the clip at same time and I do the reload(load) weak hand. I have medium to large hands and use the JM grips.

One of the main reasons I like to do it like this is I can start running to the shooting position as soon as I have hold of the items and do the reload in route if needed.

Good thread, lets hear some more ways to do it.

41mag

If the stage description doesn't state otherwise, I put it in the box with the cylinder unlatched and propping the revolver up on the left side. The gun is easier to pick up since the grip is raised off the floor of the container and when you pick it up, the cylinder flops open.

If the stage description doesn't state otherwise, I put it in the box with the cylinder unlatched and propping the revolver up on the left side. The gun is easier to pick up since the grip is raised off the floor of the container and when you pick it up, the cylinder flops open.

Do you pick up the revolver with your strong side/right hand then load with your left?

When shooting empty-start stages, I have noticed that no matter how many times I tell myself not to, when the buzzer goes off I always grab the gun, open it up, and hit the dang ejector rod before I toss in the moonclip.

I don't even try to fight the programming anymore! :)

Isn't all empty starts supposed to have the cylinder fully closed?

If not, I have started with the gun upside down, resting on the sights and the fully open cylinder.

I grip the gun with my right hand (just a bit awkward, since the grip is upside down) and just turn the gun upright and toss in a clip.

Edited by RogerT

Do you pick up the revolver with your strong side/right hand then load with your left?

Yes. I do all my reloads holding the gun in my strong hand.

Isn't all empty starts supposed to have the cylinder fully closed?

Usually, unless someone messes up, the written stage description will dictate that the cylinder is closed and gun not propped up by any artificial means.

FWIW

dj

"If the rules don't say something is illegal, I have to assume it is legal." -- Smokey Yunick

Maybe at big matches they have better stage description writers. I've only ever shot local matches and they don't seem to know revolvers exist. If they do specify "closed" or "flat" I do the deed like 41mag.

When shooting empty-start stages, I have noticed that no matter how many times I tell myself not to, when the buzzer goes off I always grab the gun, open it up, and hit the dang ejector rod before I toss in the moonclip.

That's funny Mike!

What hand is doing what in this case? I thought you loaded weak hand these days? The way I described don't really leave any hand or fingers free to hit the ejector unless I was to do it with the weak hand while holding the ammo.

I think I have seen some of the strong hand loaders scoop up the revo in both hands and break it open just like they would while shooting, then the strong hand goes for the ammo.

Hows JM do it?

41mag

I lay the gun on its left side (with the thumblatch down), and then grab it with my right hand, open the cylinder and hit the rod with my left hand (can't stop myself!) before reaching for the moon. It's obviously not the fastest way to do it, but at least there's no thinking involved!

I just shot "Where's the ammo" thurs. nite. Starts with gun and ammo on bench. I just grab the gun (left side down so my big Pinnacle-Guns cyl release holds it off the table some) and do a normal weak hand reload. I can't get the cylinder open with just my strong hand, but I do seem to be able to do this without trying to empty the empty chambers. Seems we don't give much away to the bottom feeders by not having a slide to rack.

I shot 'Where's The Ammo' back in the summer some time. Started out with gun laying on left side and moon clip laying somewhere on the table. I picked up my gun with my strong hand and grab a moon clip off my belt with my weak hand and did a normal weak hand reload. My thinking was to load it the way I usually reload it. It doesn't say that you have to use the moon clip on the table. I asked the RO and he said I didn't have to use it. Who knows, if I have to do it again, maybe I'll use the moon clip off the table. Just my thought at the time.

Jim

That's funny, I do the same thing. I even do it sometimes at LAMR. I think I am conditionded that whenever the cylinder flops out, I hit the ejector. :blink:

That's funny, I do the same thing. I even do it sometimes at LAMR. I think I am conditioned that whenever the cylinder flops out, I hit the ejector. :blink:

I do it at LAMR also, kind of a practice or warm up run. I will often draw at speed, take a sight picture, snap the hammer and then do a reload (LAMR). Its not like I can cycle the slide back and forth :D .

I have tried taking the ammo from the belt when allowed and have found it is no faster for me unless there is movement before engaging targets, even then I'm not sure it saves me much time.

Any one have some video of unloaded revo table starts? Lets see them please.

Any more methods? Lets hear um.

41mag

That's funny, I do the same thing. I even do it sometimes at LAMR. I think I am conditionded that whenever the cylinder flops out, I hit the ejector. :blink:

I managed to not hit the ejector picking up and loading the gun. But the next stage was "Can You Count" where I made up for it by proving I can't.

How's Farmington, I shot there at the San Juan Wildlife Federation in the early 90's, but with a 1911.

I blew the Can you count stage at a past match. Now I practice shooting five fast.

After practice I get a bunch of moons with one live round which is ok for testing bullet seating and practice in reloading after shooting that one round.

When I don't load as practiced my mind gets confused. As when loading prior to a stage start. I got to load from my belt.

I managed to not hit the ejector picking up and loading the gun. But the next stage was "Can You Count" where I made up for it by proving I can't.

How's Farmington, I shot there at the San Juan Wildlife Federation in the early 90's, but with a 1911.

How many times have you gone to your belt for a moon clip while shooting mini mart?

And do you leave the moon clips on the shelf or do you set them all on top of the counter when you grab your gun.

I always have a couple in case I drop one.

I always set them so I can grab them all at one time and set them up on the counter so I don't have to reach in the box to do my reload.

On mini mart I don't have any ammo on my belt or I know good and well I would load from the belt.