Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deciding what to practice

XRe

I created a spreadsheet based on Saul's idea a while back myself. It really worked well so when I got to the range I knew what to focus on, and how to allocate my ammo. After a few weeks I tweaked and kept at it. I think it really made a difference this summer for me. It really shows you what you -need- to work on to improve your performance, not just what's fun or you're good at. The key is you have to be honest with yourself regarding your ability and the importance of the various skill sets...

My spreadsheet has gotten huge... for example I don't just have reloads, but reload to sho, reload to who, empty gun start, reload while leaving shooting position, reload while prone, etc.

excell is nice since you can sort by any of the fields (figure out what type of draws you should practice or figure out over-all what skills are weak). If you want to get fancy, you can use excel to base your practice ammo budget on the result of the formula. ie if you take 300 rounds, maybe you should spend 200 in moving laterally between shooting positions, 50 on who, 25 on long range accuracy, and 25 on empty-gun starts. Yea, I'm an engineering nerd.

I haven't updated it in a few months... Thanks for the reminder!! :) I'll get back on it!

ps. People at the range thought I was really weird when I showed up with a computer print-out of a practice schedule.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Yea, I'm an engineering nerd.

We're in the same boat, man :)

ps. People at the range thought I was really weird when I showed up with a computer print-out of a practice schedule.

I fold mine into my goals, and focus on the top (or is that bottom?) skills for a while, so I don't have to carry the whole sheet around with me. I like your idea of ammo allocation - I do something similar, but I allow for flexibility, in that if I find I need to spend more time refining something, I'll feel free to re-allocate for that practice session. But, I usually have a pretty good feel for how many rounds I want to spend at a particular skill or drill before I get to the range, and tend to stick with that most of the time.

I like your idea of ammo allocation - I do something similar, but I allow for flexibility, in that if I find I need to spend more time refining something, I'll feel free to re-allocate for that practice session. But, I usually have a pretty good feel for how many rounds I want to spend at a particular skill or drill before I get to the range, and tend to stick with that most of the time.

Oh, I certainly agree you have to be flexible... sometimes a couple more repetitions will really solidify something new or you want to try new things, etc. What works best is different for everyone. I just found before I went to the range with a solid PLAN, I might go with 3-4 things I wanted to work on, and run out of time/ammo only having worked on 2-3 of them, or worse yet I'd get distracted by FUN stuff (ie the stuff I do well and don't need to practice as much).

-rvb

I always find a friend that is willing to film me at matches (offering to film them helps). After a match, based on my own perception, I break down what I did well and what needs improvement and write it down. Then I watch the video and see how my perception compares.

Watching yourself shoot is an amazing training tool and will help you quickly identify the skill sets that need improvement.

Watching yourself shoot is an amazing training tool and will help you quickly identify the skill sets that need improvement.

ABSOLUTELY !

I've done this just yesterday, during training, for the FIRST time:

well ... it's SHOCKING !

Good for identifying what needs improvement .... not so good for "self-image" :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

:cheers: Dave is on his way to establishing himself as an "Innovator" in shooting coaching. Its a set of tools like this that will make training cost worth every cent.

I know this is just the first step in a Tool Box full of good things to come

Jamie Foote

Video is priceless, really. Both as a shooter, and as an instructor - sometimes its just easier to show someone what they look like. Of course, you have to be open minded enough to use it...

Jamie, I don't know about innovation, really, but I'll take some credit for using all the good ideas I can find :)

Thanks, Jake ;)

Watching video of yourself is really helpful. I've only been videoed shooting a couple of times, and was doing all sorts or weird stuff that I didn't even realize I was doing. Recording yourself shooting is good because there is no question of perception, the way you see yourself shoot on the video is the way you shot.

I always video practice sessions. Very helpful for spotting mistakes from me and my wife.

Personally I work on a basic set of skills based on what I've learned over the years + whatever weakness I spotted at the last match + anything that will be coming up in the next big match that may be unusual.