Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

releasing the magazine

scribble

I just drilled a hole in the Mag release and screwed a self tapping screw into the hole. This gave me the millimeter or two that I needed. I tried the extended stuff but ended with a lot of mags on the ground. One night shoot the RO even asked me" Man how many mags do you carry?" The extended button kept on catching on the flashlight. I shoot Standard gun so this is allowed in my class. It definitely made a difference in my mag changes and does not cause unintended mag changes.

Have you seen Julie G shoot. She uses the weak hand mag release technique and seems to do ok. If you have small hands and can do weak hand more proficiently quit fixing something that ain't broke and instead try and refine it and make it even better.

I have used the weak hand to drop mags for years after shifting my grip for a while (I'm 61) and people I shoot with say my reloads are a strong point for me. I don't know if everything else is so bad that this makes my reloads stand out or what!

If you have fingers long enough, you can consider the "Merle Eddington" technique.

I've read once that he was using his middle finger to release the mag. I tried and loved that technique. I don't shift my grip and can keep the pistol in the right direction instead of pointing over the berm or the backstop (some local range rules dictates that).

Also, no need to use any kind of extension that can be activated at the worst time.

With my Single Stack , I do shift because the mag catch spring is harder.

I have small hands and installed a large mag release button on my 1911 single stack. Even using thin grips, I still would have to shift my hand a bit to reach the mag release. I was really worried about having to change my grip, but surprisingly it didn't affect the reload that much. I think with practice, you hand will build up the muscle memory to quickly return to the original grip.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a small magazine release button and a light spring. I still have to shift my grip a little, but not much. Make sure the button is not too high or you might get a surprise if you pick your gun up off of a table, fire on shot and watch your fully loaded magazine fall to the ground.

Hi, Stipo here. I lurk and don't talk much.

I have gorilla-sized hands, but I still grip-shift on my STIs. With my particular grip I can't reach the release with my thumb WITHOUT shifting. I'll admit to never trying the middle finger trick. I've done the other way too long to change!

In comparing grip shift to the left hand technique.....Seems to me that if you wanted the utmost in efficiency your left hand should be moving to the belt (for the new mag pick-up) as soon as possible. If you delay the left hand to hit the release you're wasting time (maybe not measured in seconds, but in this sport time is your enemy) that would be better spent reaching for the mag. When I grip-shift, I have re-aquired the CORRECT grip b4 the new mag is ready to insert.

My .02. OR .01 B)

Sorry. I forgot my OTHER thought on the last post.

I had an large extended release for a while, but had trouble with dropping the mag when starting with "gun lying on the table". I can't fully remember now if that trouble was real or imagined, but either one can cloud your thoughts when the buzzer goes off! Stipo

I'm a huge proponent of shifting the gun, after 20+ years of seeing guys eject mags at precisely the wrong moment. I'm left handed and the shift is pretty much mansdatory for me. I use a stock S_I button. I also look at the guns of the "big guys" (TGO, Todd etc), almost without exception, these guns are far simpler than a lot of what's out there. I think the key is to have something that is simple and reliable in all the crazy circumstances we encounter in this game.

The difference afforded by a HUGE mag button during most matches is generally negated by all the fuss we go through trying not to accidentally trip that sucker. An unexpected dumped mag in mid stage at one big match will wipe out an awful lot of .010 time savings on other smatch days.

Finally, as a LEO trainer, I emphasize that it's the intent of the manufacturers to keep all the buttons except the trigger out of harm's way when one is firing. The two glaring exceptions are the 1911 thumb safety (great position and exactly where it should be) and the SIG slide release (terrible position and generally engaged when shooters don't want it to be engaged)

-MB

>>I also look at the guns of the "big guys" (TGO, Todd etc), almost without exception, these guns are far simpler than a lot of what's out there. I think the key is to have something that is simple and reliable in all the crazy circumstances we encounter in this game. <<

My .02 about why their guns are without all the crap out there is they practice. A LOT! Talent, determination, and aptitude all play a role as well. I used to use Michael Jordan as an example. I was a basketball player, like MJ. UNLIKE MJ I was never able to fly, and practice as I did I could NEVER be as capable as he.

My .02: I've got small hands and some years back I hit the button with my left thumb and generally used my stubby digits as an excuse for slow reloads. I put (various) mag buttons on and proceeded to drop mags during stages (of course never in practice). Then I sucked it up and did what I should've done prior: Practice. I shift the gun, and found that reducing the dept and width of my grip (S_I) helped some, but practice was the real key. All you have to do is look at what the big boys do - and some of them have small hands. I figure if they can do it, I can do it. The other equipment mod that's worked well for me is to install a 'Low Pro' button turned down (I just use a file and emory) to the same diameter of standard mag catch. The extra height gives me just a little more leverage - but I never drop a mag by accident. It was all worth it when one day after completing a stage a fellow shooter that I really respected came up to me and said, " That was a smoking reload!".

The funny thing is, as I'm thinking about it, is that overcoming this reload problem really changed my attitude about learning the game of IPSC. By overcoming a not really significant physical problem (small hands), I began to focus on the positive attributes I possessed and became a better shooter.

I guess it's true that attitude is everything.

I have went to a couple training classes with fellow GM shooter in my section and have been told at every class that i need to use my right thumb to release the mag. To much dry firing training that never happened and found out that using my left thumb to release then get a mag is just as fast (for me) then using my right. plus never had to switch my grip.

I tested this out when I was a barely C shooter in production (G17 double stack mags) and was training beside a Solid "B" class shooter, has more years under his belt for this sport. When we started this reloading drill i was noticing that my times were just as fast or faster than him (he was using the right thumb). My trainer came over to tell me i was doing it wrong, Then after seeing me reload like i was he called me mutant and told me that i was the exception to the rule.

The wilson Oversized (not extended) from Brownells is the best IMO for people with sausage thumbs and want to use the Right thumb. I am going to get one installed on my Edge and hopefully will work with the grip.