Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Major PF in G35

dagz

Is shooting PF of 170 possible and safe in a Glock 35?

PPSA [Philippine Practical Shooting Association] sets it at 170 to make major in Standard Division.This is why most consider Glock to be handicapped.

How do you do it? How do you make your load?

Thanks.

For my uspsa major power loads I normally load rounds for my g-35 at @170 pf. I don't believe I would hesitate to increase them a little if necessary to have a little buffer. My rounds are built with precision 185gr. bullets with 5.7gr v.v.3n37 behind it. I load them as long as will fit & function in my glock mags. My primary gun is a g35 with a kkm barrel but I also shoot these in my backup with a stock barrel. I have had no problems. The brass doesn't seem to be particularly bulged or stressed & reloading my own brass doesn't seem to be a danger.

Recently I acquired 2k of delta precision 200gr fmj bullets & I may start working on a load for them just to see how they work. I believe a very safe, soft load can be built with these bullets. The main drawback is mag length with those long bullets.

As always, work up your loads safely & slowly watching for any signs of pressure. Just because these work well for me doesn't mean they will for you but you might see what you think.

MLM

Most of this year, my son and I used 4.5 TG under 180 FMJ (Precision Delta) at 1.135 COAL and .418-.419 crimp; WSP primers and Winchester brass. This is about 2 tenths under book max per Hodgdon website. Made 169.9 PF here in the California high desert and 173 PF at Area 2 with the G35, about 3 PF lower out of the G22. Both guns have KKM barrels. No visible signs of high pressure on either case or primer. Also tried the same load with Montana gold bullets, no appreciable difference in power factor but the Montana Golds were a little more accurate and consistent.

Yes, it is a fairly stout load out of a Glock. YMMV.

I got 170 PF pretty easily with 4.5 Titegroup - 180 gr Precision Deltas - 1.135 OAL - Federal primers

Since I normally shoot a heavy Para, this load really gets my attention until I fire a couple of mags and get used to it. Unfortunately the arthritis in my wrists/hands began to complain after 3 months of the G35 with major loads. Switched back to the Para and my wife shoots the G35 with minor loads.

Too bad. I really liked the light G35.

4.9 grains of Universal Clays under a 180 grain Zero gives me more than 170 PF out of my Glock 24 (with KKM barrel) and my Glock 35 (OEM barrel). 170pf is no problem for a glock 40 cal. If you have concerns, get an aftermarket barrel with more support. But, you should be able to load to 175-180 pf with the OEM barrel and not have an issue.

VihtaVourhi N320 loaded to 1.135 about 4.5g w/ a 180g bullet. Use at your own risk, of course, but this has worked for me in the past to make the PF level you are seeking.

If your using stock barrel i wouldnt recommend using VV N320, thats too fast powder and makes your brass swell.

Im using VV N340 with 200grs bullets and no sign of swelling.

Just a side question.. doesn't factory ammo make PF?

Some factory ammo makes power factor for uspsa. Where he lives, the pf is higher so that will limit his choices plus I suspect there are lots fewer choices in factory ammo when you live outside the U.S. You just have to chrono from your gun to find out what it is doing.

MLM

4.3 grains TightGroup, WSP primer under the 180gr black Billy Bullet puts my 35 in the low 170's. Remember now, reloads blow up guns and do harm to living tissue. OK? You've been warned. :rolleyes:

Jim M

I load 5.4 gr. Winchester Super Field Powder with a 180 grain Hornady HAP bullet. I used a Winchester Small Pistol Magnum primer for my Area match ammo this year, and my load ended up chrono'ing a 180 PF. Glock 35 with a stock barrel

The load didn't seem that stout...... But it hit 180.

If your using stock barrel i wouldnt recommend using VV N320, thats too fast powder and makes your brass swell.

this is correct.... i even use powder thats slower than n340, 3n37 5.2gr 180gr lead is my recipe, i will also try ap100 next month cos the store selling vv is too far ;)

this is correct.... i even use powder thats slower than n340, 3n37 5.2gr 180gr lead is my recipe, i will also try ap100 next month cos the store selling vv is too far ;)

Sorry to hear you've had that experience; I've done like 5K + loads, along with a bunch of my buddies, and have never had any issues at all. Best advice is find something that works for YOU and stick with it.

--Mike