Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortening the handle on a Dillon XL650

Ok< I know I haven't posted in a while but I back reloading after some time. Being a scoutmaster takes alot of your time.

I have thought about this allot. I currently use a roller handle on my 650 and I haven't been happy with the long arch / stroke. The roller is great though

I put the old slot machine handle back on and held it lower on the shaft and it works ok. I have a machinist friend (also a reloader) and he is willing to shorten it down for me.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this before?

I figure that nothing is lost if I try it since I have the roller handle to go back on

Scott

I haven't tried it but you should be aware that it will take a little more effort to press everything. If you are using an undersized resize die or if your dies are dirty, the shorter handle will make pressing a lot harder.

DM

Ok< I know I haven't posted in a while but I back reloading after some time. Being a scoutmaster takes alot of your time.

I have thought about this allot. I currently use a roller handle on my 650 and I haven't been happy with the long arch / stroke. The roller is great though

I put the old slot machine handle back on and held it lower on the shaft and it works ok. I have a machinist friend (also a reloader) and he is willing to shorten it down for me.

I figure that nothing is lost if I try it since I have the roller handle to go back on

Scott

• 3 years later...

Scott

Sorry to revive such an old post but I have been wondering the same thing for loading 9mm and possibly .223 both of which won't be affected too much by a little more effort. Has anybody actually done this yet? How did it work out?

I think your press is too low if your complaining about the stroke.

PERSONALLY,

I would be more inclined to make a handle that moved the roller toward the back of the bench. Then you wouldn't have to bend over as much.

I did end up having my original handle shorted and the stroke worked perfect for me. No extra effort on the up stroke or downstroke.I am doing 10mm and use a Lee Carbide resize /taper crimp die on the 5th stage . My bench is 35in and the press had the strong mount on it.

Sadly I lost my job last june and had to sell off all my safe queens and finally my whole 650 system to keep my family a float. If I still had it I would have gladly sent you pics.

Thank you for the feedback everybody. FYI my current setup is fine but I have always thought the stroke was too long for most calibers and felt a shorter handle would simply be more efficient.

Davis, how much did you take off of the handle?

Thank you for the feedback everybody. FYI my current setup is fine but I have always thought the stroke was too long for most calibers and felt a shorter handle would simply be more efficient.

Davis, how much did you take off of the handle?

I took it dowm to just above the hole in the rod you put an allen key in to tighten handle