A production question that I am sure has never been ask

vrmn1

Here is the wording from the 2008 book:

22 Specifically prohibited modifications and features•

Grips - Any addition or removal of material which

changes the factory profile or adds function such as

beavertail or thumb rest.

They sound OK to me. fwiw

Wheelguns in production do have to comply with the production rules......

Yeah I kinda get that. I personally don't see any reason why they would not be legal but I know in production a lot of nits get picked.

Do you see a reason why they would not be legal? The profile is exactly the same as a factory grip.

Photos

The one on the left is the one in question.

The one on the right is a factory grip

The grip on the left is for a k frame sqaure the grip on the right is for a n frame round butt

post-11104-1195425911.jpg

post-11104-1195425925.jpg

Edited by vrmn1

Well, we're really comparing apples and oranges there, aren't we? Let me see if I can get you where you want to go: Are the wooden Hogue grips you'd like to use available through S&W as a factory option on either the revolver you're planning on shooting, or on another revolver built on the same frame? If so, that should fly; I'd want to seek clarification from Amidon though before shooting a major match....

Well, we're really comparing apples and oranges there, aren't we? Let me see if I can get you where you want to go: Are the wooden Hogue grips you'd like to use available through S&W as a factory option on either the revolver you're planning on shooting, or on another revolver built on the same frame? If so, that should fly; I'd want to seek clarification from Amidon though before shooting a major match....

There rules says nothing about being a factory option, just be of the same profile.

The Hogue rubber grips are available from the factory for every "REVOLVER" Smith makes J,K,L,N,and X. They are all shaped the same. The wood grips are all shaped the same.

Does Glock make grip tape as a factory option? I don't see that there is any difference, the profile is the same just a different surface.

I am only planning on shooting my K frame in production, I shoot my N frame in revolver already.

Edited by vrmn1

Current rule reads:

"21.6 Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for the approved handgun and/or the application of grip tape or rubber sleeves is permitted. Modifications to grips, other than previously mentioned, not allowed, such as grooves cut to reach mag release or size reduction."

I think they would be absolutely compliant under this version.

Rule that will take effect on Jan 01 (which Kyle kindly provided above):

(Under item 22) "Grips - Any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest."

The wooden version doesn't seem to change the factory profile or add functions and look like a rule-compliant option.

Legal disclaimer: I am not the DNROI nor do I play one on television, and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. If I were you, I'd email those pictures to John A. at dnroi@uspsa.org and expect a favorable ruling. :)

Current rule reads:

"21.6 Aftermarket grips which match the profile of the OFM standard for the approved handgun and/or the application of grip tape or rubber sleeves is permitted. Modifications to grips, other than previously mentioned, not allowed, such as grooves cut to reach mag release or size reduction."

I think they would be absolutely compliant under this version.

Rule that will take effect on Jan 01 (which Kyle kindly provided above):

(Under item 22) "Grips - Any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumb rest."

The wooden version doesn't seem to change the factory profile or add functions and look like a rule-compliant option.

Legal disclaimer: I am not the DNROI nor do I play one on television, and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. If I were you, I'd email those pictures to John A. at dnroi@uspsa.org and expect a favorable ruling. :)

I did just that, thanks Mark.

There rules says nothing about being a factory option, just be of the same profile.

The Hogue rubber grips are available from the factory for every "REVOLVER" Smith makes J,K,L,N,and X. They are all shaped the same. The wood grips are all shaped the same.

Does Glock make grip tape as a factory option? I don't see that there is any difference, the profile is the same just a different surface.

I am only planning on shooting my K frame in production, I shoot my N frame in revolver already.

I wasn't thinking of grip tape; I was thinking of extended mag releases and slide stops --- which you may swap into a G17, because they're available as a factory option. So, I was hoping that S&W once produced a Model xx-y in sufficient quantities with Hogue wooden grips, for you to be able to do the swap without needing to ask anyone.....

I'd only call it into question if you kicked my butt in Production with your wheel gun. lol. :goof:

(Don't worry about it. Shoot that wheelie and have some fun with it.)

LOL!

Know worries there, not with a 6 shot k frame and speedloaders. I was just going to do it for fun at one of our weekly fun shoots.

I really just wanted to beat ima45dv8 with it and him with his bottom feeder. :cheers::goof:

I'd only call it into question if you kicked my butt in Production with your wheel gun. lol. :goof:

LOL!

Know worries there, not with a 6 shot k frame and speedloaders. I was just going to do it for fun at one of our weekly fun shoots.

I really just wanted to beat ima45dv8 with it and him with his bottom feeder. :cheers::goof:

Put yer fancy schmancy grips on and bring it!

:lol:

LOL!

Put yer fancy schmancy grips on and bring it!

:lol:

:ph34r::cheers::lol:

i was wondering how a wheel gunner could handicap himself more than normal. i guess this thread answers that question. :blink::wacko:

thanks,

lynn

I wouldn't do this in a big match, it would just be for fun at one of our local fun shoots that is about bragging rights with friends. :lol:

Edited by vrmn1