Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S-I vs SS in 9mm

1911vm

My personal perceptions: Better magazine realibility and ease of reloading with a S_I.

I have a Springer 9mm single stack, and the stock 9 round mags are my most reliable, the CMC 10 rounders are kinda so-so. On the other hand, the STI/SVI wide bodys with a 126mm mag downloaded to 10 rounds seat incredibly easy.

Edited by ken hebert

My personal perceptions: Better magazine realibility and ease of reloading with a S_I.

I have a Springer 9mm single stack, and the stock 9 round mags are my most reliable, the CMC 10 rounders are kinda so-so. On the other hand, the STI/SVI wide bodys with a 126mm mag downloaded to 10 rounds seat incredibly easy.

I also have both a springer 9mm and a STI eagle in 9mm. By far I think the Eagle in 9mm is the best ESP gun there is. With only 10 rounds loaded they seat like they are empty, reloading a mag to that big hole is cake and with a SVI magwell the grip is just plain awesome!

Hello: I have 3 different 9's for IDPA esp. In order of speed of reloads it is the Kimber single stack, Glock 34 and the fastest a STI 2011. The STI with those tapered mags and a SVI or cut down STI magwell is the best. You may have to put up with being called a gamer using one ;-). You might want to look at shooting 40 if you reload since you can reload a softer load than 9mm. I do like the Glock 34 shooting 147's for SSP. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I have 3 different 9's for IDPA esp. In order of speed of reloads it is the Kimber single stack, Glock 34 and the fastest a STI 2011. The STI with those tapered mags and a SVI or cut down STI magwell is the best. You may have to put up with being called a gamer using one ;-). You might want to look at shooting 40 if you reload since you can reload a softer load than 9mm. I do like the Glock 34 shooting 147's for SSP. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Is the difference in speed only due to the size of the mag well?

Hello: The speed for the reloads for me has nothing to do with the magwell so much but the shape of the mags and the opening size. I don't use a magwell on my Glock at all. My Kimber SS has a Kimber magwell S&A style. My STI I have I use the STI and SVI magwells and they load the same for me. Hope this answers your questions. Thanks, Eric