Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to look for in a timer?

leam

Started to ask "What's the best timer" then realized I'm not even sure what all functions I can find. So what do I need to look for in a timer? My goals are to use it for IDPA and general shooting speed improvment where I have to try to "beat the clock". So far the list seems to be:

1. Random start time so I can run myself.

2. Memory of the entire shot series, to include each shot and their times.

3. Loud enough to use with others on an outdoor range.

4. Head phone jack so I can "beep" myself.

Any other useful things timers can do that I "must have"?

Leam

Started to ask "What's the best timer" then realized I'm not even sure what all functions I can find. So what do I need to look for in a timer? My goals are to use it for IDPA and general shooting speed improvment where I have to try to "beat the clock". So far the list seems to be:

1. Random start time so I can run myself.

2. Memory of the entire shot series, to include each shot and their times.

3. Loud enough to use with others on an outdoor range.

4. Head phone jack so I can "beep" myself.

Any other useful things timers can do that I "must have"?

Leam

Except the headphone jack, these features are all met by the new CED7000 timer. I love mine! It has a cool 'snoop' mode, where you can monitor other shooters in competition. You won't get the 1st shot time (draw time), but you'll have all thier splits and transitions.

Cool display, great size, nice flexability. You can download the user manual before purchase, so you can understand all the features in detail.

CED7000

My Pocket Pro II has everything that you listed sans headphone jack as well. I prefer it over the CED7000 because I can clip it on my pocket and be able to look down and see my times without fumbling around. I've used it literally every day for 2 years now without a single problem. The CED7000 is a very nice timer too however...I really don't see you going wrong with either one.

What about the Pact Club 3?

The CED seems to be the most recommended, but I've used a Pact Club 3 and PocketPro also (just using the beep and checking total string times), and it seems like the layout of the CED would be the least user-friendly? Is there really that big of a difference in them that would make one a clear winner?

Sorry to hijack you thread leam, I'm also timer shopping :D

The CED 8000 does everything you want. It doesn't eat batteries, you don't have to remember to charge it, it has a giant display, and everything you need for it comes with it.

I've been using mine for a couple of years now and have no complaints.

I just bought a Pact Club Timer 3 and it meets your criteria except for the headphone jack. I did a bit of research before purchasing but I didn't see a lot of difference between the CED 7000, Pocket Pro, and PACT so I went with what I was familiar with (my shooting partners use the PACT Club Timer 3).

again no headphone jack, but look at the pact club timer III

my club uses those along with the older club timer I, II, and marks III and IV.

I've also used the ced 7000 and the pocket pro II

during my very limited time using the ced, I found it to be too small to my liking, and not as easy to use as the pact

the pocket pro II is a great timer for running club matches, because of the large display, but it only shows 1 thing at a time, for example,it will show you the total time, if you want to review your shot to shot splits, the display will alternate between the split and the time you shot it.

with the club timer II and III, the display is large, but there are 2 line on it, the top line show the total # of shot fired, the 2nd line shows the time of the 1st fired, and you last split time. hit the review button, the display will show you the time it took you to fire each shot and the split between that shot and the last.

another time to look at is the comp. electronics pro timer IV, in addition to it doing all the usual stuff timers do, it also has a vickers count or comstock calculator built in. when your running a practice stage, it allow you to run it several different ways and see which way will give you the highest score.

during my very limited time using the ced, I found it to be too small to my liking, and not as easy to use as the pact

the pocket pro II is a great timer for running club matches, because of the large display, but it only shows 1 thing at a time, for example,it will show you the total time, if you want to review your shot to shot splits, the display will alternate between the split and the time you shot it.

with the club timer II and III, the display is large, but there are 2 line on it, the top line show the total # of shot fired, the 2nd line shows the time of the 1st fired, and you last split time. hit the review button, the display will show you the time it took you to fire each shot and the split between that shot and the last.

another time to look at is the comp. electronics pro timer IV, in addition to it doing all the usual stuff timers do, it also has a vickers count or comstock calculator built in. when your running a practice stage, it allow you to run it several different ways and see which way will give you the highest score.

Seems like the CED7000, Pocket Pro and Pact Club are all pretty good, but I'm practically deaf - with my muffs on and inserts in my ears, I can hear very few timers go off - but, once in a while I can hear one at a match (I'm one of those guys who have to be "hit in the head" to start:((

Does anyone know which of these timers is the Loudest, or has the lowest pitch to the buzzer going off?

Jack

The CED 8000 shouldn't be overlooked. It comes with ear buds so you can practice dry fire without disturbing others in the house. If you are considering airsoft practice with a gas blowback pistol it records the "shots" with the sensitivity set to the highest setting - can't say the same for the 7000.

The only disadvantage to the 8000 is it is rather bulky compared to the 7000 and others mentioned but can clip onto your pants pocket to operate and read the display. CED sells a harness that holds the 8000 device on your chest area (timer bra?) :surprise: but I don't think that it's really a must have accessory.

Check out the websites of each model mentioned and decide which one will work out the best. I purchased the CED 8000 through Shooters Connection. It was cheaper for me to do so rather than deal direct with the factory. CED and I are both located in PA - I would have to pay 6% sales tax if I bought factory direct - no sales tax buying at SC.

There is another timer out there that is in a bright yellow case - I think it is RU Ready timer - that may work for you as well.

A BEnos forum member has a timer posted 4 sale in the classified section recently - I'm not sure of the brand but it may work for you as well.

I am using the Pact III and it is pretty loud, for dryfire I have to tape the whole on it so it isn't TOO loud! The CED 7000 is also loud. I think that if I was to buy one I would go with the CED. I am actually contiplating getting one anyway due to the fact that you can wrist mount it and adjust the sensitivity to pick up the shots from an airsoft. The Pact doesn't work for these reasons. I also like the stopwatch and spy mode with the CED.

I like the pact timers for practice, everything is right on the (easy to read) display and it's a one (big) button start. For RO'ing I like the CED 8000 because they have memory and the ability to display remotely (so the SO doesn't have to chase you everywhere). FWIW I don’t like the CED 7000 for it’s built in batteries and the fact that, although handy in size, the display is like looking at a wrist watch. If for some reason I’m having trouble picking up shots (or echoes tripping the timer) I prefer the r-u-ready timers (they work without adjusting all the time every time). The pocket pro from competition electronics is another I dislike as the only thing it displays (without hitting other buttons) is the total time and I like to know every time that the number of shots (thus total time) is correct.

post-6631-1195054186.jpg

post-6631-1195054220.jpg

post-6631-1195054255.jpg

Sweet, thanks for the info.

By the way, there are many, many capable places and individuals around that can make new battery packs, most of which are many times better than OE in lots of electronic devices. I would need to see an original battery pack to make a new one though (and would need the specs off the charger to make sure the new one is compatible). Not sure if CED will replace them for free or little cost though, so the idea might be moot. If anybody needs help in this matter, feel free to PM me - I've built a few packs for various devices (mostly RC stuff).

Seems like the CED7000, Pocket Pro and Pact Club are all pretty good, but I'm practically deaf - with my muffs on and inserts in my ears, I can hear very few timers go off - but, once in a while I can hear one at a match (I'm one of those guys who have to be "hit in the head" to start:((

Does anyone know which of these timers is the Loudest, or has the lowest pitch to the buzzer going off?

Jack

the club timer II had a soft buzz, the club timer III has a loud beep, we got a shooter in the same boat as you, nearly deaf from riding on the back of the turret of a M48 tank during gunnery practice without hearing protection. he often times didn't hear the buzzer from the club timer II, but hears the timer III every time.