Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

want a custom limited gun

nu2ipsc

Hi, my boyfriend and I are arguing about what gun I should buy. I am from CA, and I want a custom built new Infinity. I am interested in the site tracker with certain options that give the gun a feminine touch. I like the barsto, but after spending $2200, I am stuck with a gun that I will spend a lot more money modifying to get exactly what I want, than to just have SV build me exactly what I want from the get go. Because I am in CA, I am very limited If I want to buy a new Wide-body here. My boyfriend says that SV makes very nice guns, but they are very costly, and still might need to take a couple trips to the local gun smith to reliably function. Is this true? He says I should find a CA frame and send it to one of the few worthy gun smiths to build what I want. Do you guys agree? I would think that when ordering a custom gun from such a reputable company would build me a gun exactly the way I wanted from the factory that it would be race ready. thanks guys

I would get the SV. I have had no issues with their limited guns and their support of the product is unrivalled. The sighttrackker in 40 is an excellent gun also and you can get it with the fancy painted grip in the wild colors that would be just right to be a little different than the others. Deffinitely get them to throw in a shirt and hat with the deal so you can be accessorized correctly.

my boyfriend has an STI edge and a Barsto. both of them had problems out of the box. He shoots a custom built SV he had built from reputable gun smith a couple of years ago and has only had minor repairs or modifications over 10k rounds shot in it. This Why I ask. He says any factory gun will not be tuned and polished like a custom built pistol. He also says STI are bigger supporters of the sport, and we should support those who support us, and I would save some money in the long run. Does anyone know the average turn around time for SV to build me a gun?

Is a Custom ordered sight tracker built by reputable gunsmiths? do they go the extra mile to tune them or are they just mass produced like an Edge? I dont want to wait until spring/summer to practice. My boyfriends gunsmith who built his gun no longer builds guns anymore. He says to have JV Dynamics build me what I want from a frame we aquire in the state. it might take a while to find a new full length frame here, and I want to have a gun built as close to the new year as possible. When I priced the parts for the gun I want it was over $2000. The Gun I want from SV is built for just under $3000. What to do? I'm driving my boyfriend nuts and he thinks he knows everything, but I want my gun soon, and I want a custom sight tracker!!! Why does he get to have the gun he wants, but I might have to settle? Wrong forum! sorry.. HS, will my boyfriend be jealous if I get this gun vs. his recommendation? Are they as nice as they look on their website? Do they function flawlessly and feel good and soft to shoot? sorry for all the questions.

better start savin your money... cause i'm not payin for it! I would listen to HSmith. He Says go full custom, which is what I been telling you all month. All you like is the slide and barrel.. not exactly the reason to buy the whole gun from infinity..

:rolleyes:

I've been shooting my SV "Lightsaber" since 1999.

It's bone stock except for a bit of contouring on the grip and the right safety lever, I made by myself with a dremel and the STI SS magwell (it's a bit wider than its SVI counterpart).

post-1869-1194853506.jpg

So far, it has been 100% reliable: in 8 years I had less than 2 handfuls of jams, that can be traced to:

a.) Old brass which was no longer chambering.

b.) Old mag springs in my box-compliant 19-rounders that I forgot to replace in 2 years or more

c.) Too dirty gun, since I shoot lead in practice and only clean it after 1.5/2K rounds (but I do use a lot of Slide-Glide ... ;) ).

Edited by Skywalker

just use the working guns your boyfriend has ;) . just kidding. have you shot a sight tracker yet? if possible try out as many types of S_I you can find. You might come to the realization that shooting the sight tracker isn't suited for you and a standard S_I might be more of what you're looking for. IIRC the ST costs a bit more than a standard unit.

She's treating this like new fendi bag, or accessory to look fashionable at the range. In all honesty its all my fault...

I needed excuses to buy guns, so I took her shooting. She told me she wanted a gun. She said "I want the gun Uma Thurman was holding on the cover of Pulp fiction.. So I bought her a stainless 92FS.. once she started shooting 2" groups at 7 yards, she thought it was time to go to the indoor range w her pink gun purse and superpistol... now sh's winning the debate.. I was going to give her my hopped up edge and buy myself a Brazo open gun. if this debate persists in her favor, I might be selling the Edge to finance her new purse.. I mean gun.. ;)

I just read, on this forum, that STI will not sell any firearms in CA. Apparently fed up with the government regulations/aka gun control. Therefore, you will have to look toward SVI or Bar-Sto for a frame or a pistol unless you can find a STI in your state.

My suggestion to SV Shooter, is to let her order what she wants, she is the one shooting it. When the time comes that she is ready for a change, probably a year or two from now, she can have a gunsmith modify to her current standards. If she gives up on shooting you'll have a cute spare pistol.

Get the SV the way you want it but do it soon. I hear Governor Arnold has some law changes coming for you folks in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia concerning guns.

Every SV is a custom gun.

There are no mass produced guns there as they won't make it until you order it.

It will be made to YOUR specifications.

I have 5 SVs, one being a used gun I bought this weekend to convert to 9mm (breachface gun) to shoot for the winter and lighten the load for my tennis elbow.

California has some special difficulties so read the law and do it right.

The great thing about this used gun is how I can change it back to .40 if needed.

Allot of the SVs sold to Europe go as multiple caliber guns with one serial number and several

caliber breachfaces and barrels.

My first SV in '96 needed some extra help but the rest have been fine as long as you take time to break them in or have a good 1911 tinkerer handy.

my boyfriend has an STI edge and a Barsto. both of them had problems out of the box. He shoots a custom built SV he had built from reputable gun smith a couple of years ago and has only had minor repairs or modifications over 10k rounds shot in it. This Why I ask. He says any factory gun will not be tuned and polished like a custom built pistol. He also says STI are bigger supporters of the sport, and we should support those who support us, and I would save some money in the long run. Does anyone know the average turn around time for SV to build me a gun?

I picked up an SVI site tracker some 2.5years ago. I have had exactly 2 malfuncions with it in almost 17,000 rounds. One of the malfunctions were in the first 100 rounds (fail to feed), and the 2nd was many thousand rounds later and ended up being a bad primer.

The pistol has taken me to the master class ranks in limited, and the one thing I NEVER have o worry about is a malfunction.

I would highly suggest you get a "factory" SVI. Each one is made, by hand. I was very lucky when I ordered my pistol. It only took 3 months to ship because I was fortunate they had everything in stock. There are some situations where the gun may take up to 6-8 months to get in. In many situations, the delay is with the parts manufacturers not the pistol smith themselves.

The site tracker is an extrememely fine pistol. If any manufacturer can "femanize" a pistol, I'm sure Brandon and the gang at SVI would be the ones that could do it.

I think one of my guns failed to fire last time I was in Minnesota.

It was whining about being to cold!!!

Get with SV soon. They will be getting a bunch of orders for next year.

Edited by Mick

Order the gun you want from SV. Guns are like shoes and underwear, they should make you happy. You may get bored with it or wear it out in time but by then you will have a better idea of what options are available for the new gun. :cheers:

Get the SV the way you want it but do it soon. I hear Governor Arnold has some law changes coming for you folks in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia concerning guns.

Bill 1471 which was signed by the governator should apply only to NEW guns submitted for kalifornia sale. Any gun on the list before 1/1/2010 is exempt from the new law. SVI has kept their double and single stack available for sale in kali and will therefore get my business should i decide to buy a new gun.

She's treating this like new fendi bag, or accessory to look fashionable at the range. In all honesty its all my fault...I needed excuses to buy guns, so I took her shooting. She told me she wanted a gun. She said "I want the gun Uma Thurman was holding on the cover of Pulp fiction.. So I bought her a stainless 92FS.. once she started shooting 2" groups at 7 yards, she thought it was time to go to the indoor range w her pink gun purse and superpistol... now sh's winning the debate.. I was going to give her my hopped up edge and buy myself a Brazo open gun. if this debate persists in her favor, I might be selling the Edge to finance her new purse.. I mean gun.. ;)

'SV Shooter'-

You can't/won't win this one ... Trust me !!!! I have built a few "fancy-dandy super-dupers" that ended up being confiscated by shooting wives/girl friends, while their significant "other" (the one paying the bill) had to go on to their "reserve" gun or order a copy of the new gun. There is a pair of shooters in my Club, (husband/wife or wife/husband) He is a Master class shooter and she is a high B+. Every time I build him a new Open gun she confiscates it inmmediately. Normally he shoots Limited and she shoots Open, and it works fine. But lately he has tried (and I mean tried because she won't let him do it by "thievery means") to shoot Open also. So I had to build him yet another variation of a Limited gun ... actually a "Sight Tracker", to play counter part to an "ultra-lite" 2011(Beretta style) 9mm Limited Minor he loves to shoot... This is their past-time and what they both do in their spare time away from their hectic, busy every day life. Kudos to them.

While I enjoy building these intricate competition guns, there is a lot to be said for SVI/Infinity, and I am very proud to be associated with them and use a great number of their parts in the guns I build. Their web-site or phone call originated Custom guns are second to none. They have an excellent attitude and customer relations that is like Fort Knox. Sandy, Brandon, Tami, Pat, etc. are all great sweet people to deal with, and will make sure you are taken care of. Make no mistake, every single gun that SVI/Infinity makes IS custom made to either a set of specifications or the customer's requested order.

I will make you a deal ... and just this one time. (To other Forum Members: please no PM's asking for a similar deal 'cause it wont' go !) Go ahead and order/get that Sight Tracker from SVI/Infinity. Go play with it. If you find any problems with it ... send it to me, and I will make it run for you at no cost to you, other than shipping. (Don't worry if it comes to it, 'cause I get my giggles from SVI/Infinity anyway !!!)

Venry, that is the most generous offer anyone has ever offered me on these boards! How Can I turn you down?? thank you so much! Brandon will be ecstatic! The key was to slowly bump her up into my older pistols which work great by the way, so I can buy this guys Brazos BCG Pro open blaster today. My Edge has a 5 sided infinity slide w all the bells n whistles. I thought a grip change and what not to satisfy her. If the laws are changing, then it is a good idea to get one while I can, or invite Arnold to local match, then cheney to the same match and tell him were goin quail hunting w Arnie... :ph34r:

This is my ex by the way. not my live in or life long partner. thats what makes it worse. knowing that she will never shoot a match, and put about 500 rds with it, and I cant just take it back when I want it. as I said, I wanted the new gun, she should get one of the old ones! thanks guys. I'm sure the other country heard from will read and interject. beware... she grows fangs and only awakens at night... :devil:

SVS,

are you talking about that Brazos thats been floating around on calguns and the uspsa website? nice gun but mucho dinero. you could probably pick up something from Jojo made to your specs for slghtly less.

Venry, that is the most generous offer anyone has ever offered me on these boards! How Can I turn you down?? thank you so much! Brandon will be ecstatic! The key was to slowly bump her up into my older pistols which work great by the way, so I can buy this guys Brazos BCG Pro open blaster today. My Edge has a 5 sided infinity slide w all the bells n whistles. I thought a grip change and what not to satisfy her. If the laws are changing, then it is a good idea to get one while I can, or invite Arnold to local match, then cheney to the same match and tell him were goin quail hunting w Arnie... :ph34r:

This is my ex by the way. not my live in or life long partner. thats what makes it worse. knowing that she will never shoot a match, and put about 500 rds with it, and I cant just take it back when I want it. as I said, I wanted the new gun, she should get one of the old ones! thanks guys. I'm sure the other country heard from will read and interject. beware... she grows fangs and only awakens at night... :devil:

How do you spell "oops !". After all, she (who) grows fangs and awakens only at night ... :devil: also knows how to read ... and happens to post here ... <_<:ph34r: Hmmm !!!

I wouldn't want to be in your skin for a while ... nowhere where she can get at you anyway !!!! Maybe you need to buy her a one way ticket vacation to Somalia instead ???

But if you happen to like her still ... which 'me-thinks' you do ... then you need to do some creative "acting", to get you out of this one. :unsure::blink:

yeah Venry, I already promised her a wide body gun. She thought I was going to get her a gun.. she "miss" understood. She's fightin tooth and nail for this 3k+ gun.. and she's gonna win because I want to keep things civil.. right hun??? ;)

We have been friends since jr. high and I dated her since high school. its been 17 years and we just sold a house we own together. We have a motto.. "Friends first"and she is one of my best. I can honestly say If I ever had to break up w someone, and was forced to deal w them constantly, it would be her. Friends til the end...She definately deserves my used STI! :lol:

yoshi... I like jo jo's guns, but I cant get a CA legal gun out of him without sending him one of my LD dustcover framed guns, and letting him chop up a perfectly good tuned set of limited guns. JV's work is really awsome, but until I can find a new frame to send him, I will wait. I always liked the Brazos. Bob makes one soft shooting tight gun with great asthetics in my opinion. I dont think I am the only one who agrees as it seems to be quite a wait list to get one. how do you all like your 5" BCG pros?? being new to open class, I figured a slightly slower longer gun might help transition from limited easier. once I get the hang of open, decide whether I like it or not; I'll find a frame, and have Jojo build a shorty 9..

Derek at Millinium Custom built my wife's limited gun. He aked alot of questions and helped her pick and choose things that would benefit her. She shoots it very well.

I would highly reccomend him

Dan C

I know derek, as I used to shoot at the range he worked out of in WPB. Great guns. problem being CA residents. Well, she is, but I am now a NV. resident, so she cant have a millenium, nor does she want one. She wants her sight tracker and thats that! I just broke out the credit card for that Brazos... I got it for about $1800 less than the calguns asking price. He needed cash..No way jojo could beat that w a stick! w less than 500 rds, I gotta put another 4500 to break it in! I feel like the guy who found the ferrrari for sale a week after it was driven off the lot w 500 miles on her for 30% of its OTD price! only less trips to the mechanic! with the money I saved, maybe you will get that sight tracker afterall... :goof:

Well here she is... CA legal PRO SX...

post-12157-1194909255.jpg

post-12157-1194909282.jpg