Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB bench placement

Revopop

I've got a used SDB in transit, and I'll be building a bench for it. It appears the SDB's handle is in the middle of the press, not off to the side like other Dillons, so where should I place it on the bench? Do I stand slightly off to the left as I use it? This press will be on a strong mount, BTW.

I've got a used SDB in transit, and I'll be building a bench for it. It appears the SDB's handle is in the middle of the press, not off to the side like other Dillons, so where should I place it on the bench? Do I stand slightly off to the left as I use it? This press will be on a strong mount, BTW.

Yeah- you kinda stand to the left. I mounted mine about 1" from the front edge of one end of the bench. I left room to the right of the press for accessories.

post-5009-1194706329.jpgpost-5009-1194706308.jpg

Yeah- you kinda stand to the left. I mounted mine about 1" from the front edge of one end of the bench. I left room to the right of the press for accessories.

Rocket35,

Where did you get those neat brass and bulltet hopper's at? Those are the cat's a$$!

ccL

Rocket35,

Where did you get those neat brass and bulltet hopper's at? Those are the cat's a$$!

ccL

Yup- Walmart- under $5 a piece in the pet department. :)

Ok, next question. How big of a bench space do I need? I'm building a small bench in my apartment's storage unit. It's basically the size of a double-wide hall closet.

Not to be a smart a$$.. but you want your bench as big as you can afford to make it.

I had a 6' bench and it was not big enough. I just got finished with a 16' bench which I am LOVING right now.

You will fill what ever space you have with "stuff". Max out the space you can.

If you haven't, take a peek here: Linky link it is the mother of all reloading bench threads and might give you some ideas to work from.

I have a RockChucker and SDB mounted on a 4' long bench. I put the SDB on the right side of the bench and sit in front of it to load. It is a bit crowded but that's the space I have to work with. I have my components stored in cabinets above the bench and only have out what I'm using at the time, so the desktop is not cluttered.

My girlfriend suggested that I put the bench in the spare bedroom, because we're not doing anything with it anyway. I hadn't brought it up because of course if it had been my idea she'd have shot it right down. So now I have a lot more space to work with and a climate-controlled room. I'm thinking about using one of those 2x4 Basics workbench kits and putting a lower shelf for rigidity and also to stack bullets, cases, etc. to add weight for stability. Probably go with about a 4' by 6' table.

HD has the brackets that let you screw together 2x material for the frame of your bench. That is what I used. I think my benches are 2ft by 4ft. I don't really need that much square footage for reloading with one press. But, stability is really important. Anchoring to the wall...adding weight...

Ok, next question. How big of a bench space do I need? I'm building a small bench in my apartment's storage unit. It's basically the size of a double-wide hall closet.

As long as you can! I built mine 10' long and every time I leave and come back--stuff multiplies! :surprise: