Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you do a screen shot or screen capture?

Hi all,

I was at a gun manufacturer's website yesterday and tried to do the "right click, save as" on a picture of one of their guns. Turns out it is is in a .png format, whatever that is.

So I am thinking then that the only way to get a picture of it onto my computer's hard drive is to do a screen shot or screen capture.

How do you do that?

Is there some special software involved?

Hopefully, that screen capture then will be saved as a .jpg and I can crop accordingly.

TIA

Hi all,

I was at a gun manufacturer's website yesterday and tried to do the "right click, save as" on a picture of one of their guns. Turns out it is is in a .png format, whatever that is.

So I am thinking then that the only way to get a picture of it onto my computer's hard drive is to do a screen shot or screen capture.

How do you do that?

Hopefully, that screen capture then will be saved as a .jpg and I can crop accordingly.

TIA

Hold down the Shift key and then push Prnt Scrn key, the screen will now be in the buffer, you can Paste it in Word file or Paint or whatever you have.

Hi all,

How do you do that?

TIA

Hold down the Shift key and then push Prnt Scrn key, the screen will now be in the buffer, you can Paste it in Word file or Paint or whatever you have.

Or ALT+PrntScrn to capture the screen that has focus.

Turns out it is is in a .png format, whatever that is.

TIA

.png is a portable network graphics file. You should still be able to open it with any graphics program. If it is a good program like corel or something you can also convert it to jpg gif tif or what ever.

TIA

.png is a portable network graphics file. You should still be able to open it with any graphics program. If it is a good program like corel or something you can also convert it to jpg gif tif or what ever.

Lookit the big old nerdy brain on Patrick! ;) He's 'xactly correct - it's one of the very portable formats that should work anywhere.

jr

TIA

Lookit the big old nerdy brain on Patrick! ;) He's 'xactly correct - it's one of the very portable formats that should work anywhere.

jr

heah I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :D

You actually don't have to HOLD any button down while pushing Prnt Scrn key.

Just press it, and then paste it into your application of choice. B)

I hold

ALT then hit PRNTSCRN and then paste it into Word or what ever you use.

You actually don't have to HOLD any button down while pushing Prnt Scrn key.

Just press it, and then paste it into your application of choice. B)

I hold

ALT then hit PRNTSCRN and then paste it into Word or what ever you use.

Chris is correct. Just pushing the Print Screen button will capture image of the desktop in the buffer and you can paste to WORDPAD which is free in XP. Comes with the operating system.

I dont know but I just tried all FOUR ways ..... HOLDING Alt, or Ctrl, or Shift while pressing Print Scr & simply just pressing Print Scr does the same thing. YMMV

If you have multiple windows open on your desktop let say 4 that are equal size 1 in each corner of your screen.

If you hit print screen, hold Shift & print scree or hold ctrl & print screen it will print your whole desktop. In this case the 4 windows you have open.

If you select (or make it active by clicking on it )one of the windows and hold alt & print screen it will only print the screen you selected.

Hope this helps.

:mellow:

Mac Help

Index

Shortcuts for taking pictures of the screen

Use these shortcuts to take pictures of the screen in Mac OS X.

Action

Shortcut

Take a picture of the whole screen

comand-Shift-3

Take a picture of part of the screen

comand-Shift-4, then drag to select the area you want in the picture.

To cancel, press Escape.

Take a picture of a window, a menu, the menu bar, or the Dock.

Press comand-Shift-4, then press the Space bar. Move the pointer over the area you want so that it's highlighted, then click.

To drag to select the area instead, press the Space bar again. To cancel, press Escape.

Screen shots are saved as files on the desktop. If you want to put the screen shot in the Clipboard, rather than create a file, hold down the Control key when you press the other keys. You can then paste the picture into a document.

You can also take pictures of the screen using the Grab application (in the Utilities folder).

Some applications, such as DVD Player, may not let you take pictures of the screen.

Edited by wide45