Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice on Slide Gide

Demax

I tend to use all three over the course of the year. If temp at start of match is predicted to be below 50 I go with Lite. If temp is above 50 and the high of the day is below 80 I go with #1. If the high is predicted to be over 80 I go with #3. We to tend to get very wide temperature swings up here which can be an issue in which case I always opt for the lower viscosity. This rule works with both my Para which is fairly loose and my Brazos which is nice and tight.

I have experimented with mixing #1 and #3 to get "#2" and just didn't find it worth the work.

One "trick" with just about any of the grease type lubes (as opposed to the lighter oil lubes) is to make racking the slide several times part of your LAMR procedure. This gets the lube "moving" and avoids the dreaded sluggish slide.

If you screw up and have the heavy lube in the gun on a cold match day lock the slide back, put a drop of FP-10 on each rail and work it a bit.

Last winter we had a number of matches with weather well below freezing (okay, it wasn't much above zero) and I found Lite to even be a bit sluggish so added FP-10 to the lite since it was already on the gun and got along fine even with the tighter Brazos.

I've got an STI Edge purchased from Dawson Precision....now maybe my Edge is not a representative sample of the lot...but when I tried #1 on it...the slide velocity was similar to that of a slug....it was way to slow (this was on a day when the temp was about 60 deg or so)....I didn't experience any feed failures...but I didn't like the way the gun was running....so I switched back to Mobil 1 as my lube. Comparing my slide to frame fit...I tested it against Lisa Munson's SVI and it felt nearly the same.

This time of year I don't use any grease at all. Even the Lite is too heavy for my guns in the cold. I use Mobil 1 or FP10, usually FP10 because it smells better (how is that for scientific?).

In weather above about 60* I run Lite in both my Open gun and Limited gun. I have the heaviest grade too, and it works great in Glocks.

This time of year I don't use any grease at all. Even the Lite is too heavy for my guns in the cold. I use Mobil 1 or FP10, usually FP10 because it smells better (how is that for scientific?).

In weather above about 60* I run Lite in both my Open gun and Limited gun. I have the heaviest grade too, and it works great in Glocks.

Mobil One smells????????

With my Para or 1911s, I use #1 unless the temperature is going to drop to below 40, then I switch to Lite. I do the same thing with my wife's G35, but I doubt it makes a difference.

I could see a tight custom gun needing Lite in warm weather and oil in cold weather. You just have to try it and see.

I carry what I shoot, and I don't want lube all over me, so I use the thickest Slide Glide for my Glocks, as you can read a newspaper through the gap between frame and barrel, and it DOES NOT MOVE from where you put it. For my 1911s....STP Oil Treatment. STP was recommended to me by my first gunsmith, who was building 1911s 30 years ago. It is not affected by heat, and if your gun is warm enough to touch it won't be too thick to slow down your slide.